In the tradition of

Started by kotte, April 11, 2005, 02:29:27 PM

kotte

I'm looking for more artists in the tradition of Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash. I've listened these to death but I love that music and want more os the same...

Sigur Rós

Tim Buckley...Nick Drake...Nick Cave...Tom Waits

GoneSavage

to add to that good list, Mark Lanegan solo.

imawombat

elliott smith, lou barlow, joseph arthur
these things do happen

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Donovan and, I would suggest Cat Stevens, but he's not necessarily as depressing...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cecilia

Agree with the above response and particularly with Tom Waits.  Also would recommend Bob Dylan in case you hadn't thought of him.   Time out of Mind and Love and Death are both great more recent albums.  Daniel Lanois' solo albums are really good too, check out Shine and For the Beauty of Wynona.  Another singer-songwriter with an unmistakable voice but also great lyrics is Ron Sexsmith.  That's all I can think of right now...
I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.

Gamblour.

Tim Reynolds - his guitar playing is probably more progressive than you're looking for though.
WWPTAD?

pete

tim reynolds sucks.

but on the more folksy side of things:
greg brown, danny donnelly, vince gill, and m. ward.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

kotte

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Good call, pete.

m. ward, definitely.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gamblour.

Such bad taste lurks these messages, beware Kotte.
WWPTAD?

Pedro

haha, a little offended?

deathnotronic

bob dylan.
beulah.
cake (kind of fits this thread.)
the format.
the good life.
iron and wine.
2pac.
simon and garfunkel.
limbeck.
the mountain goats.
murder by death. (has anyone heard these dudes? they're very in on their movies. some of their song titles = "i'm afraid of whose afraid of virginia woolf", "holy lord, shawshank redemption")
neutral milk hotel.
stephen malkmus.
the new amsterdams
okkervil river.
old 97's.
pavement.
songs: ohia.
sufjan stevens (check this guy out, he's amazing.)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: deathnotronic
murder by death. (has anyone heard these dudes? they're very in on their movies. some of their song titles = "i'm afraid of whose afraid of virginia woolf", "holy lord, shawshank redemption")

A very amazing band you speak of.  Saw them live once, and they put on a hell of a show.

deathnotronic

yeah i've seen them like 4 times. haha.