Marilyn Manson

Started by Ghostboy, May 15, 2003, 11:04:53 PM

Ghostboy

Is his new album any good? I was a fan throughout high school, but I eventually got fed up with his attitude and self-infatuation. I still think Antichrist Superstar is a great rock album, and Mechanical Animals is just short of being brilliant.  I recently went back and listened to those two albums, and enjoyed them, and they made me curious about his new stuff. I heard Holy Wood was pretty lame -- that it didn't live up to the progression of quality represented in Mechanical Animals. Plus, I really hated the title, but maybe he's grown up a bit with this new CD...anyone listened to it yet?

Cecil

holy shit, i didnt even know it was out yet. thanks.

holy wood isnt lame. its great

Sal

lol, what my friend said:

"First track's a throwaway.  Kind of ambient stuff that's not necessary.  Second track's shitty, I thought oh fuck, here we go with his crap again.  Third track surprised me, the fourth track was even better.  The fifth was pretty good too.  The sixth was a fucking mess.  It built and built and then the sixth track just brought it the fuck down.  That's about as far as I got listening to it in Mike's car."  

So.  Might be good, hehe.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. dementedholy wood isnt lame. its great

I'll second that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

The new album is good, but sounds a lot like Holy Wood.

Sleuth

The new album is okay (you've got your standard Manson-esque quotes which I love) and Holy Wood is AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT
I like to hug dogs

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

he was only popular amungst teenagers, because that was a lame time that whole alterna era, and their was not many fun so called rebels to relate to

as soon as Eminem came out, it was over for manson

Sleuth

You're right, this guy has nothing left.  When was the last time this has-been even put out an album
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

uh, golden age sounds nothing like holy wood. what the hell are you talking about, up there?

its pretty good, a little weird at first. maybe itll get even better with time. after i watch the dvd that came with it ill report back again

Quote from: cecil b. dementeduh, golden age sounds nothing like holy wood. what the hell are you talking about, up there?

its pretty good, a little weird at first. maybe itll get even better with time. after i watch the dvd that came with it ill report back again

the most disturbing thing about him is that picture of him as a teenager with the journey t shirt

by the way fuck you michael moore, manson has done nothing but profit from shit like colimbine, but i guess since moore has done the same he does not have much to say on the subject

Cecil

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovemanson has done nothing but profit from shit like colimbine

how so?

soylent greenish

i have heard this theory ..
that as marilyn manson changes with each cd
there is a master plan involved
he is playing out a story of this character of mariyln manson or something.
like the rise and fall of a rock star or something
maybe it's like this ...
portrait - little boy realizing his surroundings
smells - domancy and confusion and collecting ideas
antichrist - the birth of ego
mechanical - corruption of power
holywood - powerless
grotesque - ?

anyone have any insight into this.
or am i just stupid?

phil marlowe

its really a backwards storyline involving three albums. in order of story: holy wood, mechanical animals and anticrist superstar. adam kadmon is given some apple of knowledge or some shit, and he has the power to change the world and start a revolution. on mechanical animals his revolution becomes just another product and he becomes the superstar omega. coked up, insane and realising what hes become, adam kadmon takes his own life on anticrist superstar.

ive heard somewere that a book and later a film should be released surronding this.

Sleuth

Has anyone read the Manson book?  It's very entertaining and insightful
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovemanson has done nothing but profit from shit like colimbine

how so?

his whole career was based on feeding teen angst, which is not to hard

anybody can depress a un atractive teenager.

sure we always hear about his connections to anton levay, but what about his lawyers and managers

its just a bunch of rich people, making money off of suckers

its not like he was selling just music he was pushing a image a lifestyle, a lie more or less

and plus he is just a bad alice cooper rip off