Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: xerxesi've actually seen both. now we i say that i find a lot of his movies "un-exceptional," that is not to say that I think they are bad films

Ok, well, umm, have you seen Flying Padre? I didn't think so.

xerxes

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Ok, well, umm, have you seen Flying Padre? I didn't think so.

:oops:

Gold Trumpet

Well, personally, I don't see any reason for him to see a rare movie like Flying Padre when Kubrick himself put down every film he ever made pre-The Killing. And since Flying Padre was one of his short documentaries and Kubrick tried his best to actually allow the public never to even see it, (that didn't work out as a dvd has come out) I don't see any reason for him to see those works. Just let him has opinion even if it may not be a satisfactory one in being reasonable.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: xerxesi know i’m gonna get killed, but i think kubrick is a bit overrated. i don’t deny that he was a very skilled director and he made some truly amazing films (strangelove, clockwork), but a good deal of them i find particularly un-exceptional.

There's nothing wrong with not liking Kubrick's work. Pauline Kale's review of 2001 was awful, she hated it. Does that mean she's right or wrong? Nah. (but rarely have I agreed w/ her reviews)
I think what's important is to be able to appeciate a film. You can still appreciate the amount of work, research, time, effort, and craft Kubrick puts into his movies. You can always appeciate certains things and not like the finished project.

Interesting thing Kubrick said during a interview on movie critics. He said first off, that never has he learned anything new from any critic on his movies, and two, he was frustrated with the idea that critics don't make nearly as much effort in writing a review as a director does in making a film.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, personally, I don't see any reason for him to see a rare movie like Flying Padre when Kubrick himself put down every film he ever made pre-The Killing. And since Flying Padre was one of his short documentaries and Kubrick tried his best to actually allow the public never to even see it, (that didn't work out as a dvd has come out) I don't see any reason for him to see those works. Just let him has opinion even if it may not be a satisfactory one in being reasonable.

~rougerum

I was kidding

xerxes

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
I was kidding

well, i knew you were kidding.

Quote from: cbrad4d
There's nothing wrong with not liking Kubrick's work.

it's not that i don't like his work... i've really enjoyed a couple of his films.

aka_maya

Not haveing seen all the films, I'm going to go out on a lim here, and say that so far it is a tie between The Shinning- a film that showcases how significant it is that a director first be a good photographer, before he moves into directing. And Eyes Wide Shut, that to me just hit at the core of what most relationships (that I consider healthy) are all about, some sort of a constant need .

BTW, ain't it a bloody shame that Spielberg was allowed to direct Kubrick's final screenplay?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: aka_maya

BTW, ain't it a bloody shame that Spielberg was allowed to direct Kubrick's final screenplay?

No, at least it got made....

Anonymous

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: aka_maya

No, at least it got made....

yea, but of all the directors in the world. this one... there has to have been a better choice, perhaps one that would have not brought in such hype, but still a better director.

bonanzataz

Quote from: aka_mayaBTW, ain't it a bloody shame that Spielberg was allowed to direct Kubrick's final screenplay?

Grrr. Welcome to the boards and all, but don't go running your mouth with Spiely-hating! Spielberg was always supposed to direct, it's been said before and it will be said again. Kubrick, since he developed the story in the 80's, asked Spielberg if he would direct it, and Spiely said yes. Plus, AI rocked, with or without Kubrick.

And no, I'm not snapping at you, I just get defensive when people knock AI. Welcome to the boards Maya.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

By the way, I think that 2001 and Shining are tied now. 2001 rocks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Royal Tenenbaum

I'd say Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, or Barry Lyndon.

av8raaron

FMJ has always been the most entertaining (there was a time I had every line GySgt Hartman uttered memorized) but I think The Shining is the best.
Fresh buttered toast.

SHAFTR

even though most people hate it, i love The Shining. my parents finally got a DVD player with 5.1 sound and its great to hear The Shining on it. STanley was great with sound. i, for one, think that The Shining is one of the most beautifully photographed films of all time.

Isn't the DVD 2 channel sound?

Also, I enjoy Kubrick films, but I also find him to be over-rated.  I'm not saying I dislike him, I just find him over-rated.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRIsn't the DVD 2 channel sound?

Warner Bros. caught some flack for releasing poor quality DVD for Kubrick's films and the first box set. They've since remastered the picture and soundtracks for his films and The Shining is now in 5.1 Dolby Digital.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks