77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

ProgWRX

dont get me wrong, im not a die hard fan of the movie, i just found it surprising that with all the positive buzz the movie had for such a long time it didnt even garner a single nom...
-Carlos

Stefen

It should be nominated for best first half of a movie, and then nominated for another award somewhere for worst second half of a movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Oscar Protest To Hail Bush-Baiting Stars

Anti-George W. Bush celebrities will be targeted on Oscar night by right wing campaigners who want to "thank" them for publicly blasting the US President - because it helped him gain a second term in office. Citizens United are planning to fill billboards around the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles with giant ads praising the Hollywood actors who were vocal in their disapproval of Republican Bush in the run-up to last November's presidential elections. Whoopi Goldberg, Ben Affleck, Michael Moore, Chevy Chase, Martin Sheen, Barbra Streisand, and Sean Penn are among the stars Citizens United credit with raising Bush's profile - and inadvertently helping him to victory over Democrat rival John Kerry - by bashing him in the media, reports gossip website The Scoop. Citizens United President David Bossie says, "We're taking on Hollywood. We've done it in the past."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

You know, that is just enough to piss liberals off enough to make the difference.  Assholes.

And they took on Hollywood before???!  WTF?!  McCarthyism is nothing to be proud of.
Classic.

MacGuffin

New Rules at Oscars: Not All Winners Take the Stage

The long walk down the Oscar aisle will be a lot shorter for some of this year's Academy Awards winners -- in fact, some will not make it to the stage.

Oscars telecast producer Gil Cates told the annual luncheon of nominees on Monday that he had major changes planned for the awards, including not inviting the victors in some categories to the stage.

Instead, Cates said they will receive their awards from a presenter parked in the audience. In other cases, all the nominees in a single category will be invited up on stage and the winner then announced.

And, finally, some nominees will get their Oscars the old-fashioned way, walking down the aisle to the stage after the envelope is opened and the name announced.

Cates said the changes for the 77th annual Academy Awards, to be broadcast on Feb. 27, were aimed both at saving time and making sure that every nominee is seen by a worldwide television audience estimated in the hundred of millions.

Many treasured Oscar moments have involved the trek to the stage, as when Italy's Roberto Benigni was named best actor in 1998 for "Life is Beautiful" and made an elaborate display of climbing over seats and people to get to the stage.

Cates, who this year, as in years past, made an impassioned plea for Oscar winners to keep their acceptance speeches short, said the main reason for the change was to "get more of the nominees seen on television."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard...besides that cookie deal in the teen fights off bear thread.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

cine

Kal

i have the impression that everybody will hate this and they will be back to normal next year... why fix it if it aint broken? the Oscars are like they always have been and if you dont like them you dont watch them. period!

Myxo

Everybody excited for the "Chris Rock gets to host the Oscars while offending half the audience and not get invited back" show? I know I'm looking forward to it! Seriously though. Love the Rock..

pete

chris rock hasn't offended anyone in a loooong time.  remember the MTV music awards?  he's like an insult comic now.  everyone is like "ooh oh oh, do me do me!"
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: andykthe Oscars are like they always have been and if you dont like them you dont watch them. period!
they have changed quite a lot over the years.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Oscar Producer Dismisses Rock Comments

The producer of the Oscars said Monday he was not concerned by comments from comedian and first-time host Chris Rock that belittled the event.

"Chris' comments over the past few weeks are meant to be humorous digs at a show that some people, obviously including Chris himself, think may be a bit too stuffy," producer Gil Cates said in a statement released by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rock called the notion of giving awards for art "idiotic" and said he has never cared for the Academy Awards, which he likened to a "fashion show." He said the only time he watched was when black actors were nominated.

"What straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars? Show me one," Rock was quoted as saying in the magazine's Feb. 4 issue.

Cates, who is producing the Feb. 27 event, said he was not worried by those and other remarks. His statement followed a story posted Sunday on the Drudge Report Web site, which cited unnamed sources and reported that "academy members have privately called for Chris Rock to be removed as host, fearing Rock may 'tarnish' the reputation of the academy."

Cates rejected that claim.

"The academy has heard no grumbling from its members and has no intention of even suggesting that Chris step aside," he said.

Rock's publicist did not return a call Monday from The Associated Press.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Would anyone be able to video the oscars and send me a tape? I'm in the UK and I don't have Sky, so otherwise I won't be able to watch it. PM me if anyone can help out - thanks!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

Quote from: SleeplessWould anyone be able to video the oscars and send me a tape? I'm in the UK and I don't have Sky, so otherwise I won't be able to watch it. PM me if anyone can help out - thanks!!
they don't show it on free-to-air tv?
under the paving stones.