Cannes 2004

Started by MacGuffin, February 20, 2004, 12:52:17 PM

Ravi

People just stood there clapping for 15 minutes?  Geez.

Tictacbk

they're still clapping, but no longer standing.

ono

And now they're clapping with one hand.

Sleuth

NOW THEY'RE CLAPPING WITH THEIR HEAD ON THEIR FEET LOL

OKAY I CHOOSE PEDRO NEXT

RIFF!
I like to hug dogs

Pedro

now they're eating dry cereal

Weird. Oh

If there's one thing I could do without is the masturbatory rituals these people engage in. No wonder the Oscars are 4 hours long. For god's sake. 20 minute ovation.
Is this unexpected though? Cannes is  the US loving center of the world known as France.

I will withhold any comments before actually seeing this film, but I have a feeling that this is nothing more than a mere novelty, kind of like a horror film.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

SoNowThen

From a Jay Stone article about Godard:

Jean-Luc Godard, the eminence grise of French cinema, weighed into the Michael Moore debate Tuesday in a surprising way.

"He's helping Bush in a very underground way that he's not aware of", Godard said about Fahrenheit 9/11, the Moore polemic that blames the president for the Iraq war and hints at connections between the Bush family and terrorist interests. "Bush is less stupid than (Moore) thinks, or so stupid you can't change him".

Asked about his attitudes to Israel and Palestine, he replied, "I still don't really understand why people are fighting up there." He compared the situation to someone asking to take over his apartment because they owned it thousands of years ago. As it happens, Godard said, he'd leave, because he has somewhere to go. He can live in another land. He said it was cinema.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

that's deep man.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

No more or less than any other interesting comment.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Chest Rockwell

Moore Film "Favorite for Prize"

Director Michael Moore's controversial movie Fahrenheit 9/11 is leading the race to scoop the Cannes Film Festival's top prize, the Palme D'Or. Trade paper Screen International have hailed the film - which exposes links between the families of American President George W. Bush and Al Queda leader Osama Bin Laden and documents the US-led war on terrorism - as the number one contender for the prestigious award, based on the views of critics from around the world. Fahrenheit 9/11's chances of winning the Palme D'Or received a boast on Monday when a screening of the movie was given an unprecedented 15-minute standing ovation at the legendary festival. The film is expected to be released via a third party after Disney banned Miramax from distributing the movie.

Ghostboy

'2046' was supposed to premiere tomorrow, but the screenings have all been canceled, because WKW is still working on it.

Also, I hadn't heard about the new Winterbottom film -- I can't wait to see that! It sounds like it could be wonderful. I can't think of another filmmaker who is both so incredibly prolific and still so consistently exciting.

pete

ahh wkw needs to get his shit together.  so no luck for cannes at all--not even towards the end?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

godardian

More from Godard (I'd like to hear more details about how Moore is "helping" Bush. Seriously- I'm not being facetious. When Godard has something to say, I'm willing to listen. Then again, no-one, but no-one, is ever radical-leftist enough for Godard.)

Legendary French director Jean-Luc Godard became one of the few persons in attendance at the Cannes Film Festival who had negative things to say about Michael Moore's controversial Fahrenheit 9/11 film (although he admitted that he had not seen it). Godard, who described Moore as "halfway intelligent," told reporters that films like Fahrenheit "help Bush more than harm him ... in a very vicious way that [directors like Moore] are not conscious of." Bush, he said, "is less stupid than [Moore] thinks." Godard is visiting Cannes to support his latest film, Our Music, which is being screened outside of the competition. Like Moore's film, Our Music  explores the conscience of nations in conflict. At one point in his news conference, he invited Olivier Derousseau, a leader of the part-time actors and technicians who have been staging a demonstration at the festival to protest cuts in unemployment benefits, to say a few words to the reporters.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ghostboy'2046' was supposed to premiere tomorrow, but the screenings have all been canceled, because WKW is still working on it.

Also, I hadn't heard about the new Winterbottom film -- I can't wait to see that! It sounds like it could be wonderful. I can't think of another filmmaker who is both so incredibly prolific and still so consistently exciting.

Looks like it premiered.   :-D  

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9621653%255E1702,00.html

Missing film premieres in Cannes
From correspondents in Cannes
May 21, 2004

THE Cannes film festival breathed a collective sigh of relief early today at the world premiere of the much-awaited film 2046 by Chinese director Wong Kar-wai -- which was still missing just hours before the screening.

Organisers of the film festival had to rejig programming today to accommodate for the delay in the arrival of the film, one of 19 movies selected to compete for the coveted Palme d'Or.

Production sources said Wong, who directed In The Mood for Love, had missed his plane to France yesterday and was winging it to Cannes overnight carrying the missing 20 per cent of the film in reels edited at the last minute.

The whereabouts of China's lone entry, a poetic film again featuring Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung as well as Gong Li that was five years in the making, has kept the festival on edge for days.

Half an hour before the premiere started, shortly after 7.30pm local time (3.30am AEST), organisers were still unable to confirm whether the film had safely arrived in Cannes.

Best news I've heard all week.

Jeremy Blackman

That headline makes it sound like premiers are missing.