The SEQUELS That Time Forgot

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:35:48 PM

Raikus

Quote from: GhostboyIs 'Return To Oz' as freaky as I remember it being?
Yes. Two words: Fairuza Balk.

Actually that whole movie was pretty messed up for being marketed to "kids." The whole shock treatment, the lady that switches heads, and the moose head--all a bit out of league for the kiddies.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Sleuth

Okay, so these sequels aren't separated by much time, but I think it's safe to say that everyone stopped caring after Part2

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1365
I like to hug dogs

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffinThirteen years between Exorcist II and III. And another thirteen years between Exorcist III and:

Hate to be a fanboy, but this trailer sounds badass:

QuoteStarts with the voice over of Father Damien asking Regan all the questions he asked from the first film, "who am I talking to, how old are you," in which Regan replies "12" and then all of a sudden you see Regan's ugly possessed face on the screen, and it then turns black and you see images of the first film going backwards, you see Father Damien who jumped out the window and fell on the stairs fly backwards up to the window and into Regan's room, and you see Father Merrin go backwards into the taxi in front of Regan's house and [which is shown on the Exorcist poster] quickly the screen turns black. Then the words "GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK .....TO THE BEGINNING" appear on the screen. You then see the young boy who is now possessed by the devil, and all sorts of action starts popping up, like the young priest played by Gabriel Mann in a tomb flying in the air dropping his rosary, and it ends with the theme song from the first Exorcist. The trailer is pretty cool and scary especially when the boy rises from his bed with the white pale face.

*chills*

godardian

Yes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: MacGuffinThirteen years between Exorcist II and III. And another thirteen years between Exorcist III and:

Hate to be a fanboy, but this trailer sounds badass:

QuoteStarts with the voice over of Father Damien asking Regan all the questions he asked from the first film, "who am I talking to, how old are you," in which Regan replies "12" and then all of a sudden you see Regan's ugly possessed face on the screen, and it then turns black and you see images of the first film going backwards, you see Father Damien who jumped out the window and fell on the stairs fly backwards up to the window and into Regan's room, and you see Father Merrin go backwards into the taxi in front of Regan's house and [which is shown on the Exorcist poster] quickly the screen turns black. Then the words "GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK, GO BACK .....TO THE BEGINNING" appear on the screen. You then see the young boy who is now possessed by the devil, and all sorts of action starts popping up, like the young priest played by Gabriel Mann in a tomb flying in the air dropping his rosary, and it ends with the theme song from the first Exorcist. The trailer is pretty cool and scary especially when the boy rises from his bed with the white pale face.

*chills*

This is Paul Schrader directed, right (but not written...?). Should be worth checking out.

Pauline Kael loved Boorman's sequel, but I'm trepidatious. And what about Blatty's sequel...?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

Quote from: godardian
This is Paul Schrader directed, right (but not written...?). Should be worth checking out.

Yep.  I think Caleb Carr had some hand in the screenplay, too.  From what I've heard, he's a fairly literate thriller novelist.  Anyone read his books?

Quote from: godardianPauline Kael loved Boorman's sequel, but I'm trepidatious. And what about Blatty's sequel...?

I never made it through The Exorcist II: The Heretic.  It seemed really dated and psychobabbly, what I saw of it; the best scenes were bits of footage from the original.

Now, was Blatty's book sequel called "Legion"?  I think so.

The third film I recall being somewhat creeped out by.....Did it not have its moments?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: godardian

Yes.

also agree

MacGuffin

'Doubtfire' Sequel Coming Out of Closet

Mrs. Doubtfire isn't finished yet. Eleven years after the Robin Williams drag comedy appeared on the big screen, a sequel to the hit film is in the works at Fox.

Williams is in early talks to reprise his role as Mrs. Doubtfire, and to resume producing duties with his wife, Marsha Williams. Bonnie Hunt also is in talks to pen the project.

In the original, directed by Chris Columbus, Williams played an estranged father who poses as a Scottish nanny, Euphegenia Doubtfire, in order to get access to his children and successfully bypass his ex-wife ). The film grossed $219 million domestically.

The film garnered two Golden Globes in 1994, one for best picture (comedy/musical) and one for Williams as best actor in a comedy/musical. The film also won an Oscar for best makeup for Williams' elaborate transformation into a frumpy, bespectacled older woman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UncleJoey

Quote from: MacGuffin'Doubtfire' Sequel Coming Out of Closet

Mrs. Doubtfire isn't finished yet. Eleven years after the Robin Williams drag comedy appeared on the big screen, a sequel to the hit film is in the works at Fox.

Williams is in early talks to reprise his role as Mrs. Doubtfire, and to resume producing duties with his wife, Marsha Williams. Bonnie Hunt also is in talks to pen the project.

In the original, directed by Chris Columbus, Williams played an estranged father who poses as a Scottish nanny, Euphegenia Doubtfire, in order to get access to his children and successfully bypass his ex-wife ). The film grossed $219 million domestically.

The film garnered two Golden Globes in 1994, one for best picture (comedy/musical) and one for Williams as best actor in a comedy/musical. The film also won an Oscar for best makeup for Williams' elaborate transformation into a frumpy, bespectacled older woman.

I laughed so hard when I heard about this. I can't wait to watch this over and over again on cable in ten years (if it actually gets made).
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinThe film garnered two Golden Globes in 1994, one for best picture (comedy/musical)

94 Must have been a slow year for comedies.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

how dare you say that to the year of Jingle All the Way and Three Ninjas: Kick Back?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Apparently there was a sequel to Christmas vacation starring the uncle who goes on some cruise to an island.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1336768&skuId=6094371&type=product

Disgusted isn't the best word for it, but it comes to mind.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

yeah i believe it was made for TV and aired last year.  i didnt see it but might this year although its bound to be horrible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: The chapter listing on that BestBuy site
1. Smaller Brain Waves
2. A Big Disappointment
WWPTAD?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: themodernage02
RETURN TO OZ -- 46 years after THE WIZARD OF OZ

hey, RETURN TO OZ is great!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff