Not-so-Classics, classics.

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 25, 2003, 12:07:26 PM

Kev Hoffman

What are some movies you are ashamed to admit you DIDN'T like.  Y'know, classics that you wouldn't call exactly classics, everyone else thought they were SO great, but just didn't work for you.  Go ahead, don't be afraid.

cowboykurtis

i was a bit disapointed by rosemary's baby. the first 2 acts were amazing - -- i found the last act to be a bit heavy handed --  its one of those films that people talk about over and over -- i hadnt seen it until a few months ago -- all the hype didn't meet my expectations -- however i must consider when it was made.
...your excuses are your own...

SoNowThen

Anything by David Lynch. Can't stand his movies. Like individual scenes, but they just don't ever add up to anything for me.

Shoot The Piano Player. Seen it twice, don't like it.

Metropolis. Just saw the new remastered print, almost fell asleep.

But, you never know, I could watch these all again and love them.

Also, I've never liked Fargo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

i also found the wickerman very disapointing. i think the idea behind the film could be very intruiging, if handled correctly. i thought the director had no sense of tone for this film. i hear they're planning to re-make it -- any one know of this? id love to see the premise of this film executed with some more energy -- could be quite interesting.

MrBurgerKing

my list of nonclassic classics include --

Spartacus, Singin' in the Rain (it's an enjoyable film, but I wouldn't say it's the best musical ever. I didn't see the greatness in it.. I prefer Cabaret and My Fair Lady.), Beauty and the Beast (disney).. I'm inclined to say Jaws as well, but I'm in the mood to watch that now for some reason. Anyone have any idea as to why?

cowboykurtis

I think JAWS is wonderul -- i dont know if its becuase i loved it as a child so much -- but its one films that i can watch over and over and it never ceases it put a large smile on my face -- same for singing in the rain, i love it -- different strokes for different folks

Dendy

Usual Suspects:  Kind of bored by it.  Probably becuase of A. I already knew the surprise ending before I'd seen it. OR B.  I'd probably already seen other movies that were rip-offs of it, so it didn't seem original.

True Romance:   I think it was the first movie I'd seen that was written, but not directed by Quentin Tarantino.  I guess I was expecting the same magic that quentin's directing brings to the screen.  It just wasn't there.
"The Dude Abides"

phil marlowe

kind of new, but classic to alot of people. fight club. never care for it much. i thought it started out fine like a good caracter study but then it fell to be too much smartass to be believable for me, and the whole psycological plot was just to stupid. nonesence.

citizen kane. i allways saw as a sort of prototype to modern cinema and it should of course be given A LOT of credit for that. but standing on its own, i dont think its that great.

Duck Sauce

Im sorry but 8 1/2,  just didnt do anything for me

Ravi

I can't stand the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical films.  I don't know why, but they just bug me.

children with angels

I was waiting for someone to mention Kane - I spend a lot of time defending that movie to people on my course. I think there's this inbuilt need in us to want to rebel against it because it's got this ridiculous status as "the greatest film ever made". I don't want to get into a big argument over it here, I just think its interesting. It isn't the "greatest film ever made" (who could ever possibly say there is one?), but I do think it is a wonderful, textbook example of how to make a movie - a shame its got so much pressure on it to live up to.

Anyway: not so classic-classics...? Erm... I was a little disappointed with Jules et Jim, but I think that suffered from too much anticipation. Gone With the Wind: absolute bollocks.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

sphinx

looking back, i didn't get a lot out of wild strawberries.  maybe that's because it was the inspiration for a lot of things.  it was a good film by itself, but i just didn't get anything from it.

'to kill a mockingbird' was somewhat well shot, but the book and the movie both bore the crap out of me.  :\

Jeremy Blackman

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanCitizen Kane, Goodfellas.

what didn't you like about goodfellas? just out of curiosity.... i think i disagree with you before your rebuttle, but im still curious.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cowboykurtiswhat didn't you like about goodfellas?

I just didn't get into the "atmosphere." Yes, it was visually amazing, but I thought the characters were contrived, too "cute" (to invoke a GT term), and any depth they might have had was stolen by the narration.