Ang Lee discusses Kubrick's favorite shirt

Started by tpfkabi, November 13, 2009, 02:03:46 PM

tpfkabi

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/taking_woodstock/news/1854837/5/five_favourite_films_with_ang_lee

i thought this was weird, but on Ang Lee's Rotten Tomatoes 5 Fav Films list he talked about Kubrick's favorite shirt.

now i'm really wondering what the perfect shirt was in Kubrick's opinion.

"Yesterday I wore a particular shirt, which was Kubrick's favourite shirt. His last picture was costumed by an English costume designer who I used three times. She passed away a couple of years ago, but she said Kubrick had seven sets of this particular shirt. He'd only wear that shirt every day, so she made one for me and I love it. I just worship Kubrick. 2001, I couldn't really figure out what it was but I saw it when I was young and it captured me. It's like an acid trip! [laughs]"
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

just noticed this dumb question.

bigideas, look for clues in the quote. somewhere along the way you never learned that everything you ever need to know is actually right in front of you, at your fingertips, under your nose, staring you in the face. you just hav to trust that you can figure it out, which i doubt you have EVER tried.

ang lee says that he got this information from kubrick's last costume designer. this means whoever he worked with during Eyes Wide Shut. he also says that he wore this shirt every day.. which means he was quite probably wearing it during the making of eyes wide shut. well what is the FIRST thing you could search for in order to see what he was wearing at the time of EWS?

type "kubrick" into google image search.

this is the official picture released around the making of Eyes Wide Shut. this is most likely the shirt. it's just a normal shirt. it's not "the perfect shirt ever made", it's just his favourite shirt. that's the shirt. mystery over.the inside one or the outside one, does it matter? they are both boring as hell and nothing special. look at PTA and his permanent brown shirt:

he might well say the same thing about this shirt. he loves that thing. he sleeps in it (notice the creases).

it's up to each of us to find our own favourite shirt.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

It's a nice theory, p, but my money's on this bad boy:

My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Pas

Quote from: ρ on December 07, 2009, 01:45:56 AM
it's just a normal shirt. it's not "the perfect shirt ever made"

haha I love the notion implied in the original post that Kubrick's favorite shirt should be something mystical, with a rich history. probably from Tibet, blessed my various monks.

my favorite shirt is just a bit softer then the rest of them. 99% sure it's the same thing for Kubrick and everyone else.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I was in ang lee's hometown in taiwan last week and ate his favorite street food.

it was calamari in rice noodles soup
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

Quote from: ρ on December 07, 2009, 01:45:56 AM
just noticed this dumb question.

sure, man.
i think you held PT at gun point to release the Master info just so you could post on this thread.

i picture you like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo with the photo collage, except it's you with a collage of all my posts printed off.

time is valuable to me - you can't get it back, unlike money, you can make more, etc.

i don't think time is valuable to you though. the average person would post that supposedly EWS picture and give that info and do none of the rest. i truly wonder how time you spend (i would say 'waste' but that's just my opinion) on putting together a post like that.

the EWS thing did come to mind, but i don't hold Google searches/the internet as Grail.
knowing some people here are Kubrick fanatics i decided to skip the rat race and see if someone actually knew instead of guessing.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm particularly fascinated to find out Ang Lee confessing:

QuoteI just worship Kubrick. 2001, I couldn't really figure out what it was but I saw it when I was young and it captured me. It's like an acid trip! [laughs]

Now, I'm no Kubrickologist, but is this the most insightful thing he could say about 2001 or Kubrick?  I figure, saying nothing says a lot more than comparing it to an acid trip.  Not to mention, he then proceeds to lol. 

2001's a good flick, though.  I felt some chick up during the monkeys because it was boring, but I turned it off once the astronauts went up to the monolith and that really annoying high pitch sound was blaring.  But I guess Kubrick is supposed to be some sort of genius.  Must smoke a lot of weed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on December 07, 2009, 04:24:58 PM
time is valuable to me - you can't get it back, unlike money, you can make more, etc.

i don't think time is valuable to you though. the average person would post that supposedly EWS picture and give that info and do none of the rest. i truly wonder how time you spend (i would say 'waste' but that's just my opinion) on putting together a post like that.

the EWS thing did come to mind, but i don't hold Google searches/the internet as Grail.
knowing some people here are Kubrick fanatics i decided to skip the rat race and see if someone actually knew instead of guessing.

post took 5 mins.

the fact you think it must take hours to do a google search and post the results suggests you are frighteningly incompetent at even the most basic tasks. no wonder time is more valuable to you than the rest of us. we have full use of our faculties which allow us to function easily in the world, to understand things, and to be able to type "kubrick" in the google search bar. we don't hav to struggle like you to remember how to breathe every single morning.

and "supposedly EWS"? jesus christ. it honestly wouldn't surprise me if you were a Sarah Palin fan. you hav to accept that there exist some things known as FACTS, REASON, RATIONALITY. here's proof, again, because i feel sorry for you:

that's the video kubrick prepared when he accepted the DGA lifetime achievement award. as he says in the video, in his own words from his own mouth which you can see with your own eyes (do you doubt them too??) it took place while he was filming Eyes Wide Shut. and just look at what he's wearing.

sorry to disappoint you, it's just a blue shirt with white buttons.
under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on December 07, 2009, 04:52:06 PM
I'm particularly fascinated to find out Ang Lee confessing:

QuoteI just worship Kubrick. 2001, I couldn't really figure out what it was but I saw it when I was young and it captured me. It's like an acid trip! [laughs]

Now, I'm no Kubrickologist, but is this the most insightful thing he could say about 2001 or Kubrick?  I figure, saying nothing says a lot more than comparing it to an acid trip.  Not to mention, he then proceeds to lol. 

2001's a good flick, though.  I felt some chick up during the monkeys because it was boring, but I turned it off once the astronauts went up to the monolith and that really annoying high pitch sound was blaring.  But I guess Kubrick is supposed to be some sort of genius.  Must smoke a lot of weed.

his under-reading of 2001 is almost compensated by your over-reading of his response.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

I like Kubrick's little personal quirks. I remember when I was a fan of Kubrick, I use to collect them as useful ancedotes, but sadly I've forgotten most of them since I never knew anyone to talk about Kubrick to. One I remember is that when he was making the Shining, it's said he ate a McDonald's Big Mac everyday. I remember every personal picture of him from the 90s, when he was wearing casual wear, it always seemed to be something from Eddie Bauer. That actually got me to buy some Eddie Bauer shirts, but the emulation gene died off quickly so I stopped caring about such details.