the marquee

Started by (kelvin), June 25, 2003, 03:32:33 PM

hedwig

Quote from: godardian on April 18, 2006, 03:39:21 PM
I'm assuming "Play it as it Lays" comes from a line of PTA dialogue, but I never see it without thinking of:

nope, it comes from anne proulx's vitriolic rant against Crash's oscar win and Brokeback's oscar loss.

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwig on April 18, 2006, 04:16:04 PM
Quote from: godardian on April 18, 2006, 03:39:21 PM
I'm assuming "Play it as it Lays" comes from a line of PTA dialogue, but I never see it without thinking of:

nope, it comes from anne proulx's vitriolic rant against Crash's oscar win and Brokeback's oscar loss.

Along with "A safe pick for the heffalumps", which is one of my favorites.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 18, 2006, 12:33:53 PM
Some of my favorte Sloganizer sigs...

Not sure whose this was (maybe Cinephile's) but I enjoyed it:

aw, no love for the balzac? you of all people..
under the paving stones.

ono

"We lost our virginity on Easter Sunday."

Jeremy Blackman

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on May 09, 2006, 06:42:15 AM
yeah, anyone can of do it. i of did it last week. herzog of does it in his sleep.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Xixax.com: A necessary stepping stone towards industrialization.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sigur Rós

You want a toe? We can get you a toe

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

X's: an excess of apostrophes
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on October 04, 2006, 11:55:50 PM
X's: an excess of apostrophes

but that's the grammatically correct way to write that.

What?  You would write "Ecksiz"?

edit: Wait, you meant that there's an excess of apostrophes at Xixax? didn't yo'u ?'

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 05, 2006, 01:06:35 AM

Xs

X is the thing, and S is the word-final morpheme that makes a thing plural. apostrophe denotes ownership or partial abbreviation. it is not a plural marker. same mistake is made commonly with numbers. 90s -- that's how you write the nineties. not 90's. the confusion there is that an apostrophe is needed before the number, '90s, cos you are abbreviating "19". but anyway, that was the joke.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: wikipediaIn the US, it is generally accepted to use apostrophes to show plurals of single lower-case letters, such as mind your p's and q's. However, this is far from universally accepted practice, and instead of writing "ps and qs" which may look slightly confusing, many editors recommend "Ps and Qs" or "Ps and Qs."
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on October 05, 2006, 02:11:45 AM
Quote from: RegularKarate on October 05, 2006, 01:06:35 AM

Xs

X is the thing, and S is the word-final morpheme that makes a thing plural. apostrophe denotes ownership or partial abbreviation. it is not a plural marker. same mistake is made commonly with numbers. 90s -- that's how you write the nineties. not 90's. the confusion there is that an apostrophe is needed before the number, '90s, cos you are abbreviating "19". but anyway, that was the joke.

Pubrick's grammar tip of the week was brought to you by The Balzac Foundation.