What sounds like this ?

Started by Pas, February 20, 2009, 10:51:42 AM

Pas

Suggestions thread, post your requests

I'm looking for something (song or band) that sound like Bedouin Soundclash, especially the vibe they have with things like Gyasi Went Home

I've heard a song called I'm Yours by Jason Mraz and I liked that too

So that's the kind of sound I wanna have : please suggest away

hedwig

Pedro

yeah, pandora is great if you don't use it.  obvious similar acts that stick out are:

Almost all of their songs have a similar vibe to "Gyasi Went Home".

As for the Jason Mraz selection, that sounds like tons of Jack Johnson that I've heard, so you might have some good luck there.

Pas

yesss very good I didn't know that band (Vampire Weekend) and so far I love it, thanks a lot man. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa sounds like something out of a Wes Anderson soundtrack. and also their clip ''Oxford Comma'' looks like an hommage to Wes.

Cheers!

Peter Gabriel has done a good cover of Cape Cod Kwassa Kwass

polkablues

The first thing that came to mind from listening to that Bedouin Soundclash song was .

You also might like (I don't what the hell is going on with that video, but it's a great song).
My house, my rules, my coffee

john

Yes! The Pernice Brothers! a consistently fantastic band that is almost universally, shamefully ignored. I second the praise for "Weakest Shade of Blue", as well. A song so good, it makes otherwise talented songwriters (like Rhett Miller of the Old 97's) write mediocre short stories based upon it.

Fantastic live band, too... incidentally, a pretty good Pernice introduction point is the live album/DVD "Nobody's Watching, Nobody's Listening".

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pedro

Overcome by Happiness is a good Pernice Brothers album to start with, Pas.

pete

that sounds like a knockoff of "somewhere over the rainbow" by israel kamakawiwo'ole, even has the same chord progression - the pachabel canon in D progression that jack johnson uses all the time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Neil

oh, chord progressions.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

All great sugestions, I loved the Pernice Brothers, I had never heard of them

Thanks guys