Significant films in your life

Started by luctruff, September 04, 2003, 01:00:15 AM

phil marlowe

leaving las vegas and natural born killers did it for me.

dufresne

Quote from: P
Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacAnnie Hall
i'm beginning to think lately that this is the greatest film ever. and will redeem woody for anything he ever does, like chinatown does polanski.

oh yes, i went there.

boo-yeah (Sept. 5, 6)

http://www.michaelwilliams.com/beverlycinema/showtimes.cfm
There are shadows in life, baby.

Mazoku

Just like this, tonite, I would say Sixteen Candle cuz I watched this movie hundreds of times when I was a kid, thinking my 16th birthday would look somehow like that.... :| my 16th birthday sucked, Ididn't get a BF, but still I have some fondness for this film! ^_^[/b]

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Ptwo moon junction was very significant in my life.

ohh sherylynn fenn and her tits ::sigh:: why cant hot chicks stay hot forever

cine

When I was younger, science fictions were my bag, baby. ET, Close Encounters, and this one called Spaced Invaders... oh my. Watched it too many times.

Boogie Nights and Magnolia really hooked me into the cinema and how great it'd be to make great films like his. Lead me to Altman masterpieces and to a lesser degree, Scorsese masterpieces.

Bergman and Godard introduced me to the wonders of foreign cinema. Lead me to find love in Bunuel, Kieslowski, Kurosawa, Resnais, etc.

And Orson Welles became THE god of movies for me with the Third Man. Not Citizen Kane. I loved it when I first saw it but the Third Man made me think, "fuck I wish I was Harry Lime."

budgie

All my significant films - talking about films that changed my relationship with the world, though not on their own but acting as catalysts and planes of reflection - are recent.

Fight Club. No other movie can be as radical.
Secretary. The tears welled when Mr. Gray explained why Lee cuts herself.
Crash. Now I know why I've nearly killed during sex.

Pre-all that, I'd have to say The Wizard of Oz, for obvious reasons.

BrainSushi

The Nightmare Before Christmas - the first time I can honestly say I fell in love with a movie. It began my love affair with stop motion animation, and sparked my first idol... Tim Burton (despite the fact that he didn't direct it, his name's attached to it)

Now, I didn't actually want to become a filmmaker because of a movie... a show actually made me persue this...

South Park - I guess what thrilled me most about this show, when it first aired, was that I was only nine and that it was for adults. I started reading up on the creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I guess when I first read that they'd gone to film school, I immediately felt that I had to go too. Despite the fact that they haven't made many movies, they're the reason I want to.

Magnolia - yeah, yeah. Lots of people are saying this, but that's just the kind of impact that this film can have on a lot of people. When I saw this I realized that movies didn't have to just be entertainment... it could be art. So, because I Magnolia, I want to make art films.

Other films that have impacted me in one way or another, but not as significantly as Nightmare and Magnolia.

The Evil Dead
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Graduate
Edward Scissorhands
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Dr. Strangelove

Alethia

ghostbusters made me want to use a fucking camera when i was a youngster (very very young, maybe 5 or 6).  ive branched out considerably since then, but the passion has been there ever since

The Silver Bullet

Jurassic Park.
It made me watch movies.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Vodka

KIDS- because its just so raw. and i just love it all together.

Stand By Me-- i know every word of that movie

Pulp Fiction- awesome movie

requiem for a dream--i love the soundtrack
donnie darko--part of me is still confused
the burbs--childhood favorite
et--i had a crush on elliot when i was 3
one flew over the cuckcoos nest--i love jack nicholson...and chief. 'mmm...juicy fruit'

so many movies i cant even think of them all....but most movies mean something to me.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house
and if you have a glass jaw, you should watch your mouth  
cause ill break your face.
G UNIT HAHAHA 50 cent

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Vodkathe burbs--childhood favorite

I'm surprised by how many people have said positive things about this flick in different threads. I think I've only seen it once, when it was first in the theaters. And I remember it as being pretty bizarre, but not necessarily memorable.

Perhaps I need to revisit it. ... It's a fairly slapstick, over-the-top Hanks, like his roles in Bachelor Party and The Money Pit, right?

A Fire Inside

Chasing Amy - Great insite into the way women think, always a plus if your as big of a shmuck as I am.  Also taught me not to use homophobic slang.

Good Will Hunting - Sparked my love of psychology and increased my relationship esteem.  Also helped me decide to go to college.
If life gives you babies, make baby-aid

kotte

It changes...naturally...but right now they are:

21 Grams
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Amelie

...and

Roger Dodger
The Godfather
Fargo

diggler

The Point - i can remember being a kid and my parents playing me a shitty quality vhs version of this that they must've taped off of tv.  i was totally addicted to it and would recite every song from it daily(much to my parents' chagrin) This film taught me some valuable lessons about acceptance and proved to me how powerful film can be.  I hope to show it to my kids if that day ever comes.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Just Withnail

Quote from: About a year ago Withnail & GarfunkelStar Wars made me think "Hey, movies are cool, I think I'm gonna do nothing but watch them for the rest of my life."
Aliens made me think "Wow, this action stuff can really be creative."
Back to the Future made think "This is the movie I will watch the most times during my lifetime."
Almost Famous made me think "Favorite movie ever. Grow hair long. Must download Tiny Dancer."
Fellowship of the Ring made me think "I'm in love. With my date to the movie. Which wasn't bad either."
I saw Magnolia, and couldn't think for a week.

Those still stand as important films to me, for their respective periods of my life, though I'll do a right-now one as well:

Eternal Sunshine; Almost obligatory, the new Mag
Contempt
Withnail & I
Annie Hall
Hedwig
Winter Light
My Own Private Idaho