Danny Boyle

Started by oakmanc234, April 14, 2003, 09:28:10 PM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianNot surprising that all of these are much more recent than the other directors' picks, and seem to have been chosen mostly for the modernity and impressiveness of their styles. Boyle's work is markedly more spotty and shallow than the other directors who participated.

..yeah he doesn't have the "greatness" of the other ones..but i would still put him a cut above most.....and i like the fact that AN  was on their.....its just as timeless  as anything else IMO...(style or not).......

MacGuffin

Boyle & Garland Creating Sunshine
Source: Variety

28 Days Later director Danny Boyle and its writer, Alex Garland, are back in business with U.K.-based DNA Films and its financial partner, Fox Searchlight. Garland has just sold his spec sci-fi thriller Sunshine, with Boyle attached to direct.

Described as reminiscent of Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 pic The Wages of Fear, which followed men hired to transport an urgently needed shipment of high explosives without the equipment that would make it safe to do so, Sunshine follows a similarly fraught mission in space.

While no budget has been set for the film and no cast determined, Fox Searchlight confirms it will likely be in production by year's end. Sunshine would film in Europe and is expected to carry a budget of between $40 million and $45 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

does anyone know what's going on with the sequel of Trainspotting?

Quote from: mollydoes anyone know what's going on with the sequel of Trainspotting?

The book has been optioned by the same producer. John Hodges is working on the script.

I hope they don't make the sequel, really.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mollydoes anyone know what's going on with the sequel of Trainspotting?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=216
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

thank you very much, Mr MacGuffin.

(see?, it's not so hard)

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: mollyI hope they don't make the sequel, really.

Out of curiosity, why?  

The book may not be as groundbreaking as Trainspotting was but it's still good and it remained true to the characters.  I think it would make a good (and controversial) film, making an interesting shift in tone similar to the shift from Truffaut's The 400 Blows to Stolen Kisses.

molly

:evil:

chuchimselfo said that

yes, it was very funny,  Scotish aside-very well written, Nikki is one of the best characters i've read about . but i don't want this movie... something tells me it wouldn't work.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: molly:evil:

chuchimselfo said that

My mistake.  Obviously, I'm new here.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: chuckhimselfoyes, it was very funny,  Scotish aside-very well written, Nikki is one of the best characters i've read about . but i don't want this movie... something tells me it wouldn't work.

I can sort of understand that.  It's a lot more conventional of a novel versus Trainspotting's being an Altmanesque collection of short stories.  You can't really pick and choose the best parts for the film without losing a good subplot or two.

But if Boyle and company are up for it, I'd like to see it.  Trainspotting is my favorite English-language film of the last 10 years and I don't think they'd muck this one up; even if they did, I doubt it would tarnish the brilliance of Trainspotting.

I'm sure they would do a pretty good job, all of them.  But i want Trainspotting to remain untouched in (kind of ) the same way  I wanted MiB left alone after I saw the sequel...

not point of comparison but it's an idea.

MacGuffin

Harrelson, Harris & Crudup Heating 3000 Degrees
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Ed Harris and Woody Harrelson are set to star in 3000 Degrees, a fact-based drama about a fire that turned a century-old storage building in Worcester, Mass., into a cinderbox and claimed the lives of six firefighters in December 1999.

The Hollywood Reporter says the drama is an adaptation of Sean Flynn's book "3000 Degrees: The True Story of a Deadly Fire and the Men Who Fought It." The book grew out of Flynn's July 2000 Esquire article on the subject. Scott Silver wrote the screenplay, which is being produced by Brian Grazer.

Billy Crudup also is in negotiations to join the Warner Bros. project, which Danny Boyle (28 Days Later) will direct.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I've read 3000 degrees. It's good, real good. Not something I would expect Danny Boyle making into a movie though, but I welcome it big time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Warner Bros. & Imagine Halt 3000 Degrees
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures

Warner Bros. Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have announced that they will not go forward with plans to make the feature film 3000 Degrees.

The companies said this morning that "the process of making a film of this size and scope is complex and demanding, and requires the support and participation of many groups, including various firefighting organizations and a number of individuals. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we no longer have such support. We have therefore decided not to move ahead with this project at this time."

Ed Harris, Woody Harrelson and Bill Crudup were to star in the fact-based drama, which was to be directed by Danny Boyle (28 Days Later). The story was about a fire that turned a century-old storage building in Worcester, Mass., into a cinderbox and claimed the lives of six firefighters in December 1999.

Skeleton FilmWorks