Reach Out And Touch Faith (The Official Depeche Mode Thread)

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, November 11, 2003, 10:30:24 AM

TheVoiceOfNick

So Depeche Mode released their famous concert film, "101" today.  If anyone out there is a DM fan or a D.A. Pennebaker fan, I highly reccomend you pick up this movie.  If anyone is a Road Rules or any other reality show fan, I also reccomend you pick this up, since this was almost like the forerunner for all of these shows...

So who is a DM fan here?  Any comments on this film, or DM in general?

Vile5

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE i'm fan of Depeche, my brother was the person who introduced them to me,he was a HUGE fan! i hope 101 come to Peru soon
they are a great band i have The Videos 1986-1998 DVD, i'd love to have the 101

and what's your favorite DM album Nick??
and song?

mine is Songs of Faith and Devotion but for personal reasons, anyway i love Black celebration, Violator, Ultra and Exciter too...
and maybe their most powerful song is Personal Jesus, but if i'd have to choose just one mmmm... there are a lot of good songs but maybe i'd pick out One Caress
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

NEON MERCURY

peole are people.... so why.... should it be..that you.... and i.... get.... along so... awfully.......

help me understand.....

MacGuffin

Been a fan since the early years when I borrowed my brother's copy of "People Are People". Saw them in concert at Dodger Stadium for the "Violator" tour, and still have my concert t-shirt.

Fave album is "Music For The Masses". Love every song on that album.

Fave song: I have to pick one? I'll pick some from other albums. "Fly On The Windscreen," "Home," "Everything Counts," "Walking In My Shoes," "But Not Tonight" and "Useless."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

I love DM. Freelove my favourite lately. They are so gloomy that after listening them for awhile you start to think gloomy is the only normal and perfectly OK.

TheVoiceOfNick

I've been a longtime fan (since 1995), and have known of them long before that... i'd say my favorite album is either Violator or Songs of Faith of Devotion... its irony that a great album with such a name would lead them to a path of non-faith and no more devotion to the band... at least for a while...

My favorite song is Walking in My Shoes, with Everything Counts not far behind... then One Carress is third, I think...

I love that frickin band...

Vile5

Quote from: MacGuffinBeen a fan since the early years when I borrowed my brother's copy of "People Are People"
is nice when you have brothers with good taste...

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickMy favorite song is Walking in My Shoes, with Everything Counts not far behind... then One Carress is third, I think...
talking about brothers, my brother used to say: "The name of this song is One Caress and in fact this song is one caress", i think he was right
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

godardian

I agree with MacG about Music for the Masses being the strongest album... and then Violator is very strong, too. I think the albums get progressively weaker after that...

DM is such a nostalgia trip for me. I had the videocassette of 101 as a teen. They were my first adolescent heroes, definitely. I'm not such a huge fan anymore, really, but I have seen them three times in concert overall: The Faith and Devotion tour, the singles-comp tour, and the Exciter tour.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: godardianbut I have seen them three times in concert overall: The Faith and Devotion tour, the singles-comp tour, and the Exciter tour.

I'm still a giant fan... for many reasons... I saw them three times only on the Exciter tour...

Exciter was one of my favorite albums for a while after it came out... but then upon re-listening to the others, I realized something... since Alan left, DM albums have had no real melody... Martin goes more for a techno-y feel, rather than a rock-oriented electronic feel... its almost like techno meets rap on Ultra and Exciter, rather than rock meets electronica on Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

SheffieldSean

I'm a big fan of DM. I've seen them live in concert three times, Sheffield 93, Wembley 98 and Birmingham 2001. My favourite song is Condemnation. I got the 101 DVD for Christmas, so when I get some time I shall sit and watch it.
Back off man. I'm a scientist.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

They have a stronger fan base that I thought!  My friend is obsessed with them (as well as Bowie and George Micheal) and it isn't some sort of 80's revival thing for him.  He's been rocking this shit since the 6th grade, which is when I met him.  So most likely, even before that.

I really admire him because he puts up with so much shit because people make fun of his taste.  

I'll have to say my favorite song by them is Blasphemous Rumors.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

The Depeche Mode live concert film filmed during the 1993 European Devotional Tour in Barcelona and Frankfurt and to be released as a double DVD-set on September 21st (30th according to Mute), will include the complete concert plus extra tracks that were ommitted for the US videoreleases.
The 16 track foottage (with the 17th track "Death's Door" playing during the credits) is completed with the following bonus tracks: "Halo" and "Policy Of Truth".

The audio will be available both in 5.1 and PCM Stereo.

The second disc holds the Devotional live projections for the following 8 tracks: "Walking In My Shoes", "Stripped", "Condemnation", "Judas", "I Feel You", "Never Let Me Down Again", "In Your Room" and "Enjoy The Silence". Next are the promotional videos for "I Feel You", "Walking In My Shoes", "Condemnation (Paris Mix)", "In Your Room", "One Caress (US Video directed by Kevin Kerslake)" and "Condemnation (Live)".

Also included on the 2nd disc are the MTV Documentary "Depeche Mode Rockumentary" (over 22 minutes and directed by Nicholas Wickham), an 8 minute monologue by Anton Corbijn and what is described as Devotional Tour Programmes.

With a total running time of approximately 3 hours 26 min it will hold subtitles in the following languages: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

Jeremy Blackman

Am I the only one who likes Exciter the best? Freelove, I Feel Loved, and Breathe are incredible songs.

mogwai

DEPECHE MODE have set to work on a new album, their first in four years.

The band are holed up in a Santa Barbara studio working on the follow-up to 2001's 'Exciter'. It follows the success of last year's compilation 'Remixes 81-04', which sent their classic 'Enjoy The Silence' back up the charts after being remixed by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda.

The electro pioneers are working with Ben Hillier, who recently worked on Elbow's 'Cast Of Thousands' and Doves' 'Some Cities'.

Singer Dave Gahan said: "It's a great feeling to be back together in the studio again and we are very excited about the new material. We are all feeling incredibly positive about the album. Ben Hillier has brought a whole new dynamic to the group which is quite inspiring."

Two Lane Blacktop

My favorite album is tied between Black Celebration and Construction Time Again.  But, I agree with Walrus (from a year ago)  that "Blasphemous Rumors" is probably their best song, even though it isn't on either one of those two albums.  

2LB
Body by Guinness