TV on the Radio

Started by hedwig, August 29, 2008, 01:38:39 PM

hedwig

hasn't leaked yet. a couple new tracks can be heard on their myspace.

squints

I love everything tv on the radio has done, Young Liars Ep, Desperate Youth Bloodthristy Babes, and Return to Cookie Mountain are all classics in my opinion and their cover of Daniel Johnston's "Walking the Cow" is fucking fantastic. Based on these two new songs I'm not so sure I'll feel the same way about this new album.
But...
I'm seeing them on Halloween. Fuck yeah!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

does anybody know where i can find the lyrics to Dear Science? i've been searching.

Alexandro

Gold Trumpet

It's absurd how much I love this band. It's also absurd how much I want them to announce something...anything..about working on a new album. Well, thanks to Dave Sitek releasing a solo album and fielding questions about a possible tour schedule for it, it looks like we may have indirect confirmation on a new album sooner than later,

"Sitek won't be participating in one of the most conventional marketing strategies for a new album, though -- his recording schedule for the new TVOTR record prevents him from mounting a tour anytime soon. "We are looking for events for him to play and opportunities on TV," Wood says. "Touring eventually is not out of the question, either."

http://www.billboard.com/news/tv-on-the-radio-s-sitek-takes-flight-with-1004109306.story?tag=hpfeed#/news/tv-on-the-radio-s-sitek-takes-flight-with-1004109306.story?tag=hpfeed

Pubrick

Wow GT I had no idea you listened to music. I thought all you cared about was sport, Oliver Stone and Kevin Costner.

Good band to finally give your musical virginity to.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Oh, I've always loved music more than movies. It's just with movies I have a false illusion I can say something about them. With music I am just a spectator and fan. I happily sit in awe, but I always have my Ipod on while I can only watch 5 movies a week at most. Movies play with imagination and keep my critical mind in flow, but music soothes me. I always go back to it. In fact, I love music so much I am planning a move New Orleans next year to be in the middle of a music scene I really love. I checked the theaters there to see if I would be lucky to watch some great art films and no dice. It's a crap climate for movies compared to other cities, but the music scene is to die for for me.

Thanks to this board, I'm getting more into popular indie music, but I honestly have nothing to say about it. I'm just enjoying the music.

polkablues

TV on the Radio exists on a plane with Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend for me, where I can recognize that they're talented bands and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for being into them, but they just don't do a thing for me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

I think it's a good analogy, but Arcade Fire exists on a separate plane alone, in that they are much more talented and infinitely more pretentious.  And I mean that in the actual definition of the word instead of the abused and misused one.  Hijacking this thread to say I don't get the hype over The Suburbs, and they probably made their best album already.  Their first one.  Who knows, maybe I'll say something else elsewhere, but suffice it to say, Sprawl is right.

As for TV on the Radio?  All I know about them I learned from their SNL appearance when Bradley Cooper hosted in February '09.  Pleasant, but I didn't remember too much.  This thread's resurrection has at least made me want to go back.  Check it out, GT.  I'm usually impressed by live performances of bands I love -- at least, when their material actually translates and lends itself to live performances.

john

Yeah, I'm sure The Suburbs is a fine album and I'll eventually appreciate it but right now it seems far too safe to be interesting. It's the obvious ascension towards a mass, middle-of-the-rad, appreciation. Not that Neon Bible or Funeral where "dangerous" by any means, but they did seem sonically adventurous in a way that's missing from The Suburbs.

The Arcade Fire and TV on the Radio seem to get a lot of praise for being interesting, taking chances, or being adventurous - but I don't hear it. It's very pleasant, sure - but it's pretty much "adult contemporary" for a new generation. Music for a dentists waiting room, bu slightly more literate.

I saw Kyp Malone and a bunch of assholes open for The Pixies last year. It was mellow, dull and entirely forgettable... there was a brief moment of spontaneity evolving from some sort of last minute feedback freakout where things suddenly became interesting. It ended quickly and Malone apologized saying it was completely unintentional.

Even worse was when I found out No Age opened for The Pixies the next night at the very same venue. A far more interesting band with far lass members.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pas

It's not like Arcade Fire. Who even knows who's in TV on the Radio, I've never heard their names or of anyone caring about them.

Arcade Fire might not be risky or whatever but it's damn efficient. Their bad song/good song ratio is extremely low, probably the lowest of modern bands. Also, it's foreseeable that the day Arcade Fire will die, Win Butler and Regine will have a great solo/duo career. It might very well be adult contemp for a new generation, but we need that.

It used to be Arcade vs Bloc Party and I guess that was much more close.

polkablues

I realized the other day that I would probably like Arcade Fire a lot more if they mixed the lead vocals higher.  That's a weird thing to get caught up on, but it's the only thing I can figure out that's keeping me from elevating them from "band I'm aware of" to "band I like".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

john, you must have some kickass dentists.

Gold Trumpet

First off, thanks Ono for the suggestion. The performances were good.

For me, TV on the Radio is astounding. One thing that has kept me from lots of indie music is that I automatically correlate lyrics with the music and ask that both make cognitive sense to me. It's tough for a lot of bands. I had a honeymoon phase with Wilco years ago because they were so much fun, but people tried to argue me the thematic implications of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and I couldn't buy the larger ideas or its importance. It was all just too pretentious and dumb, but I still enjoyed the album a lot. However, me not buying into the "genius" of the album is what kept me gun shy with a lot of bands of a similar order.

So, I've been into instrumental music like jazz. I sit back and marvel at things I cannot understand or comprehend ever being able to duplicate. I've started to understand musical structure more and I am curious, but I still know I will always be just a fan. In the last few years, though, TV on the Radio has gotten me to believe in them wholeheartedly because their lyrics are amazing and their musicianship is constantly evolving. The music will never be as good as the better jazz musicians I know, but their brevity and sense of ability to expand on models to package lyrics is amazing. Dear Science is more conscious of musical structures which makes it sound more generic to some, but it also has some of their best lyrics. After 7 years, the band is continuing to improve.

I now listen to lots of kind of music. Lots of bands based in lyrics and pop structures, but I like them on different levels. In my opinion, TV on the Radio just compels me on more levels. But my interest in instrumental music will always get me to like a band like Ludus before I like a classic pop oriented band. It's just my personality make up.

pete

I understood what their first album was about but it wasn't my thing.  I liked all the poppy stuff going on with Dear Science.  The melodies were beautiful and the arrangements were inspired.  For example, the guitar triplets during Shout Me Out counting outloud the 4/4 and letting the listeners know that each quarter know is broken down into triplets.  It's a pretty well-known musical concept but the way it's illustrated in this is pretty fantastic.  I also loved the lushness that came with Family Tree and how it kept going just like some early Bjork stuff.  I think all their decisions would've remained simply heady if they didn't have such great hooks, catchy and odd.

my roommate's friends with this band that really needs to attack America right now, they're like TV on the Radio meets Muddy Waters meets Black Sabbath (I stole that description from Waxpoetics) so you should check 'em out:
http://www.myspace.com/thejuggsband

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton