Stephen Malkmus

Started by tpfkabi, June 11, 2005, 10:15:29 PM

tpfkabi

there is an old Pavement thread that hasn't been posted on for 2 years, so i figured he deserved his own for his solo work.

a friend burned me a copy of Terror Twilight, because i had listened to it briefly when we were roommates and i randomly had Spit on a Stranger stuck in my head. after listening to it a bit, i liked it.

here recently i picked up his latest, Face the Truth, and i think it's pretty dern good. i really like Mama, Kindling for the Master, Freeze the Saints and Pencil Rot. i wondered how Pig Lib and the self titled compare.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Bethie

I own his s/t. One lyric that is always in my head is "..and off came those awful toe rings"
who likes movies anyway

Myxo

Great band.. (& the Jicks)

I saw them open for Radiohead during the "Hail to the Thief" tour in the U.S.

NEON MERCURY

i just got into this shit and its great stuff.  face the thruth has been on constant rotation.  i love the song 'new shoes' or soemthign like that.....i think this will be themodernage's 3rd favorite album [of 2005]if he listened to it......you should like this stuff out....

tpfkabi

the really long jam song?

i really like the track after, Mama.
i'm thinking if someone liked The Shins, they would like that song.
i wanted to get Pig Lib, the album before, but i haven't found it in stock at any stores. at some point i'll have to order it online.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bigideasthe really long jam song?

i really like the track after, Mama.
i'm thinking if someone liked The Shins, they would like that song.
i wanted to get Pig Lib, the album before, but i haven't found it in stock at any stores. at some point i'll have to order it online.

i am actaully listening to it right now...i know that you will love it..its in the same vien as face the truth..so, its more "adventerous" then his solo debut..

but the wierd thing is that i dotn like pavemnt but i love this guy's solo work...

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi think this will be themodernage's 3rd favorite album [of 2005]if he listened to it......you should like this stuff out....
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
but the wierd thing is that i dotn like pavemnt but i love this guy's solo work...
thats good, cause i dont really like pavement either so i've never given his solo stuff a shot.  but since you say i'll like it, i want to hear it now.  i'll keep an eye out for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi think this will be themodernage's 3rd favorite album [of 2005]if he listened to it......you should like this stuff out....
thats good, cause i dont really like pavement either so i've never given his solo stuff a shot.  but since you say i'll like it, i want to hear it now.  i'll keep an eye out for it.

word man...

be on the lookout for this:

..i hope you do like it .....I

tpfkabi

i don't see how you can like Face the Truth and not like Terror Twilight. they literally could have been made back to back in my book.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bigideas

i don't see how you can like Face the Truth and not like Terror Twilight. they literally could have been made back to back in my book.

i have only heard a little off 'terror'..and what i heard i liked-i think it shelps that it was produced by radioheads producer...i am not  afan of early pavement [i.e. slanted and desert]...you are right about terror twilight though

squints

Malkmus is great, i just found a little live track of a song called "Time for the Gravity Bong" and it makes me laugh, it reminds me of early pavement. for me, a friend of mine got really into pavement and bought all of their albums just last year and at first i wasn't really diggin it, but damn if they aren't an aquired taste. They're not much on melody or guitar virtuosity but Malkmus's lyrics have done a better job of making me think and making me laugh than any band i've come across in the past five years, since modest mouse or wilco
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pedro

http://nocna-hudba.blogspot.com/2008/01/stephen-malkmus-jicks-real-emotional.html

This is full of extended jams, and feels significantly different than Face the Truth.  If you liked "no more shoes" from the last album, you'll probably like this.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on January 21, 2008, 06:20:16 PM
If you liked "no more shoes" from the last album, you'll probably like this.

I liked it as a break from the shorter pop songs, but I'm not sure I'd like a full album of that. It seems like most of the last albums - I know Terror, Truth, Pig - all had at least one jam song.

tpfkabi

i saw that the record co is doing the same thing they did with the New P's. i could never find a price on the deluxe package though. maybe the news release was early.