Takashi Miike

Started by SubstanceD, February 19, 2003, 04:27:35 PM

SubstanceD

Anyone have any thoughts, I'd love to talk about him.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Ghostboy

I was actually about to start a thread bout Miike. I just saw Happiness Of the Katakuris the other night, and it's hilarious! I can't believe the range this guy has, going from something like Ichi The Killer to a musical horror family comedy.

I think my favorite film of his is 'Visitor Q,' which is basically a REALLY fucked up version of 'American Beauty.' Some of the stuff in it is really hard to watch (like all of his films), but its sense of satire is pretty close to being profound. That last image is unforgettable (as is the necrophilia-centric climax).

SubstanceD

Yeah I just got Visitor Q the other day. It's good. It's crazy too. I think my favorite that I've seen is Audition. It's the most accomplished and clean looking of all the ones I've seen. It has a classy feel to it, but mixed with the carnage it's great. Like good cronenberg turned up. Have you seen the Dead or Alive movies? I still haven't seen those, but I'd really like to.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Pubrick

Quote from: SubstanceDI'd love to talk about him.

Have a nice conversation!
under the paving stones.

Tommy Both

I saw Rekka: Deadly Outlaw, it's supposed to be his latest - says imdb -
Jitsuroku Andô noboru outlaw-den: Rekka (2002)
good for some laugs - like all of them - but it isn't a real improvement on Audtion or Ichi the Killer... unfortunately that is...
but this guy is a madman btw, he made like 13 flicks in the last two years! Workaholic - sick fuck - or what?!

ProgWRX

The only film ive seen from him was Odishon, and didnt think much from it. I thought it was boring, and the torture scenes just too graphic. I did like the moments when they are on the phone and the bodybag moves, and the editing that is kind of confusing, but still it came very highly recommended and i was letdown...   Can anyone recomend something else from him that i might enjoy more?
-Carlos

(kelvin)

In my opinion, "Dead or Alive" is by far Miike's best film. The beginning as well as the end are really - and that is the only appropriate description - mindblowing. It was the first of his films I saw and I could hardly believe what I witnessed there.
His movies are mostly beyond any stylistic and narrative patterns, often beyond rationality and always a perfect example for extremely bad taste. Nevertheless, I recognize his genius and adore his pictures full of blood and full of art.

Mazoku

I dunno what I could say about Takashi's Audition but I enjoyed watching it and I' ve planed to see more of his films.. Well I could have had a good start last week cuz there was 4 of his films showing such as Ichi the Killer and Man in white but I didn't go see them at the theater... which is not good.. I wasn't very fond of watching Visitor Q but now that I read this topic, I wanna see it now! ^^
and erm.. has Ichi been released to video? I guess Visitor Q did, ne?[/b]

(kelvin)

I happen to own it on region 2, all in all it is a nice edition, if you like the film. I have to say that, altough I appreciate Dead Or Alive, Visitor Q and Audition  very much, I didn't like this one.
There are some remarkable "ingredients" (Ichi's tongue falling in the bottle, his dandy-like clothing, his "mouth" etc.), but the film has a very different style than Miike's other works. He is obviously trying to imitate Tsukamoto's style, who plays also a part in the movie.
In Ichy the Killer, I couldn't recognize Miike's morbid sense of humour, his cynicism, his unconventional yet elegant narrative schemes.
On the other hand, I enjoyed Graveyard of Honor a lot. One of his more recent works, it is a good example for the excellent screenplays his best films are based on. It has far less violence than his, previous films, whereas the characters are beautifully developed.

Mazoku

I saw a book of Miike Takashi tonite, I didn't have any cash on me to buy it but I'm planning to take it tomorrow! I think It' s all his work to the most recent! ^^ It's 25 $ I think it's a deal..
I'll check my local anime and japanese movie video club, they'll probably have some movies of Takashi, like Visitor Q.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Mazokuhas Ichi been released to video?

There will be three Region 1 DVD releases of "Ichi The Killer" on November 18th:

*An Unrated Version:

*A Director's Cut

*A 'R' rated version
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Okay, I'm confused.  What the hell is the difference between the 'uncut' and 'director's cut' versions?

Ghostboy

Seriously. They've one-upped Anchor Bay, who at least wait a few months in between their release of alternate cuts.

meatball

Relies on too much shock value. I didn't finish watching Audition because I felt like precious moments of my life were wasting away. I found myself glancing off and staring at other things during Ichi the Killer. It took a decapitated, sliced, exploding body part to get me to pay attention again.  :twisted:

Vile5

i did like Audition, is an excellent example of complex narration and i liked the mocking tone of Miike about machismo
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí