(Coen Bros) so far... so what?

Started by mutinyco, July 14, 2003, 05:53:05 PM

SoNowThen

oh yeah, yeah. I don't mean "ripping off" in a negative connotation. I just use that term interchangeably with "influenced by". I try to rip off whatever I think is cool, and would work for the project I'm doing.

I think the point I'm trying to make was that when I personally write a scene that I would call Coen-influenced, I usually think of some sort of unusual situation that is threatening and funny all at once, that involves two or more goofy characters talking in stylized motor-mouth. That, to me, in the most forefront Coen influence on others.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Agreed. I also ripp a lot of stuff from other work and I personally think - at least while I'm an amateur filmmaker - that it's even cooler when you really show people you're ripping stuff. Like for instance, I once wrote a scene that would be a lot Wes Anderson influenced, so what did I do? In the previous scene I put two characters talking and in the background there was a TV with "Rushmore" playing. I love that stuff  :P

QuoteI think the point I'm trying to make was that when I personally write a scene that I would call Coen-influenced, I usually think of some sort of unusual situation that is threatening and funny all at once, that involves two or more goofy characters talking in stylized motor-mouth. That, to me, in the most forefront Coen influence on others.

Exactly. And I think that the "low budget" and high sucess of the Coens may be one of the bigger not influences, but inspiration to other filmamakers to get their stuff going. It was back when Blood Simple premiered and it was again 10 years latter, when Pulp Fiction came out
Si

mutinyco

Okay. I'm happy. That was my goal. We got the Coens past 300 posts. :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

seeeeee....... just need to avoyd all those confusions you guys create in here which, although somewhat funny at times to read, they overshadow some of the post here. and this one is pretty interesting in my poit of view. so what are your thoughts about the whole Coen situation, mutinyco?
Si

Alethia

see i knew this thread would be okay!!!!!!!!!

mutinyco

I think their influence is pretty wide spread. I think they were well ahead of their time with their late-'80s/early-'90s output. I think they laid the groundwork for a lot of what we're seeing now. A lot of what we're seeing is a fusion of indie filmmaking and video directors. It's offbeat storytelling with tight visuals. Prior to that it seemed like indie movies were decidedly low-fi, but had great ideas -- while video directors made great looking movies that were vacant. Everybody from Wes Anderson to David Fincher owes them gratitude.

You know when filmmakers are influencing others because their core unit is being hired by other people. Although Roger Deakins was a successful DP prior to working with the Coens, it was with them that he really made his reputation. Their films have been as visually diverse as were Woody Allen's and Gordon Willis' 2 decades ago. Deakins has been hired by everybody from Martin Scorsese to Ed Zwick now. Likewise, composer Carter Burwell started with the Coens and an obvious admirer named Spike Jonze began using him. And Mary Zophres was hired by Spielberg to do the costumes for Catch Me if You Can based on her work with them.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

Their tongue-in-cheek style has kinda become prevalent in the nineties.

Maybe. :( I don't know.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

mutinyco

I think they've become the most influential directors of TV commercials. Think about it -- a lot of commercial directors are up and coming filmmakers and they're playing off their influences.

-St. Joe

thedog

Quote from: mutinycoWho have they influenced?

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628

yeah.