Box Office Guesstimations

Started by Banky, March 25, 2004, 08:36:12 PM

MacGuffin

So should we all just assume Shaggy Dog will be number 1 and guess how much it'll make?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i dunno.  i tried to see a screening of The Hills Have Eyes last night and we walked by the theatre 2 hours before the show on our way to get something to eat and there was already a line wrapped around the block!  so, you know, don't underestimate the drawing power of a horror remake with good advertising.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

What I want to know is why neither of you two have made a thread of this first 2006 masterpiece.

Kal

Dont underestimate the power of Mathew McConaughey...  and Sarah Jessica Parker... i think thats the #1 movie this weekend!

Ravi

Kal

Quote from: kal on March 11, 2006, 10:28:29 PM
Dont underestimate the power of Mathew McConaughey...  and Sarah Jessica Parker... i think thats the #1 movie this weekend!

I'm the best...

box office guestimations, stock tips, whatever you need... call me!

Pubrick

Quote from: kal on March 12, 2006, 08:46:54 PM
I'm the best...

box office guestimations, stock tips, whatever you need... call me!
i just sent you a link to my amazon wishlist. be sure to sort by priority. :yabbse-smiley:
under the paving stones.

modage

wow, way to go spike...

Inside Man Holds Box Office Hostage

Source: Box Office Mojo March 26, 2006

The ComingSoon.net Box Office Report has been updated with studio estimates for the weekend. Be sure to check back on Monday for the final figures based on actual box office.

Universal Pictures crime-drama Inside Man, starring Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster, topped the box office with an impressive $28.97 million. The Spike Lee-directed feature opened in 2,818 theaters and averaged a strong $10,279 per location. In the film, budgeted at about $45 million, Owen plays a crafty bank robber who creates the perfect heist, which puts him at odds with Detective Keith Frazier (Washington) and a New York power broker (Foster).

Last week's champ, Warner Bros. Pictures' V For Vendetta, starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving, dropped to the second spot and 51.9% in ticket sales. The graphic novel added $12.3 million in its second weekend for a total of $46.2 million. The film cost $54 million to make.

Disney's Hollywood Pictures took third place with the horror, suspense thriller Stay Alive. Starring Jon Foster, Samaire Armstrong, Frankie Muniz, Sophia Bush and Adam Goldberg, the movie beat expectations with a debut of $11.2 million from 2,009 theaters, for an average of $5,578.

Paramount's Failure to Launch again performed well in its third weekend, making another $10.8 million and bringing its total to $63.9 million. The $50 million-budgeted romantic comedy, starring Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker, dipped just 30.8% in sales.

Tim Allen comedy The Shaggy Dog dropped just 31.7% for the fifth spot and $9.1 million. The Disney release has collected $47.9 million in three weeks.

DreamWorks' She's the Man, starring Amanda Bynes, also did well in its second weekend, making $7.4 million for the three days. The $20 million romantic comedy has earned $20.5 million so far.

Lionsgate's Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector opened to $7.1 million from 1,710 theaters in the seventh spot.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mm on February 08, 2006, 09:45:02 PMGo home, America.  Just get out of my face.

Hey, matt, it's not just America...

"Panther" leads foreign box office for 3rd weekend

"The Pink Panther" led the foreign box office for a third weekend with estimated ticket sales of $10.6 million, a $1 million lead over new domestic champ "Inside Man."

The remake of Blake Edwards' 1964 original, starring Steve Martin as Inspector Clouseau, added eight territories, notably Italy ($1.3 million) and Thailand, where it finished first. Its foreign total stands at $61 million from 53 markets.

The bank-heist drama "Inside Man," the fifth pairing of actor Denzel Washington and director Spike Lee, opened in 18 territories, simultaneous to its domestic bow. It was No. 1 in seven of them: the U.K. ($3.2 million), Germany ($2.3 million), Austria, Greece, the Netherlands, German-speaking Switzerland and Brazil. In Mexico, it booked $820,000, the biggest opening for a Washington-Lee title.

"V for Vendetta" grossed an estimated $5.5 million in its second weekend in 24 territories. The Andy and Larry Wachowski production, starring Natalie Portman as a terrorist, raised its international box office total to $17.7 million.

The Oscar-pedigreed "Brokeback Mountain" continues to draw well overseas, logging an estimated $4 million during the weekend and raising its international total to $83 million. "Capote" yielded $1.4 million in 37 markets for an international total of $13.8 million. "Pride & Prejudice" moved up to $76.4 million, boosted by a $1.2 million weekend in South Korea, where it opened at No. 2 behind a local-language title.

Other international totals: "Nanny McPhee," $61.2 million; "Date Movie," $21.7 million; "Hostel," $16.1 million; "Firewall," $14.7 million; "Failure To Launch," $9 million; "The Hills Have Eyes," $7.6 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Ice Age Sequel Sets New March Record
Source: Box Office Mojo April 2, 2006

The ComingSoon.net Box Office Report has been updated with studio estimates for the weekend. Be sure to check back on Monday for the final figures based on actual box office.

20th Century Fox's Ice Age: The Meltdown set a new record for a March opener with a massive $70.5 million from 3,964 theaters for an average of $17,785 per location. The animated-comedy beat the original Ice Age, which previously held the March record with $46.3 million and went on to earn $176 million. If the numbers hold when final figures are released Monday, it would tie The Incredibles for second-best animated debut ever behind the $108 million first weekend of Shrek 2. "The Meltdown" marks the biggest debut of 2006 so far at the North American box. The film features the voices Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Seann William Scott, Will Arnett, Josh Peck, Jay Leno and Queen Latifah.

Universal Pictures crime-drama Inside Man, starring Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster, dropped 46% and to the second spot with $5.7 million. Budgeted at about $45 million, the film has collected $52.8 million in two weeks.

Newcomer ATL, from Warner Bros. Pictures, debuted in the third spot with an estimated $12.5 million. The dramedy averaged a strong $7,830 in 1,602 theaters.

Paramount's Failure to Launch remained in the fourth spot, adding $6.6 million in its fourth weekend. The $50 million-budgeted romantic comedy, starring Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker, has earned an impressive $73.2 million so far.

Warner Bros.' V For Vendetta, starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving, rounded out the top five with $6.5 million. The $54 million-budgeted graphic novel has made $56 million in three weeks.

Two other wide releases bombed out of the gate. Universal's Slither, written and directed by James Gunn, earned just $3.7 million from 1,945 theaters for an average of $1,889, while Sharon Stone sequel Basic Instinct 2 made only $3.2 million from 1,453 locations, an average of $2,202.

The 2005 Sundance Film Festival hit Brick opened strongly in limited release, with $87,524 in two theaters. Focus Features plans to expand the Rian Johnson-directed film to more theaters this Friday.

Click here for the full box office estimates of the top 12 films.

modage

Silent Hill Draws in Moviegoers
Source: Box Office Mojo April 23, 2006

TriStar Pictures' Silent Hill topped the box office with an estimated $20.2 million from 2,926 theaters. Directed by Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf) and written by Roger Avary, the film stars Radha Mitchell as a mother who has to search for her daughter in an eerie and deserted ghost town. "Hill" is based on the popular Konami video game. Sony's TriStar paid $14 million for the rights to distribute the movie in North America, and will break even in the mid-$20 million range.

Last week's champ, Dimension's Scary Movie 4, dropped 57.7% in ticket sales and to the second spot, adding $17 million for a two-week total of $67.7 million. The fourth installment in the spoof comedy franchise cost about $45 million to make.

Fox thriller The Sentinel, starring Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland, Eva Longoria and Kim Basinger, debuted in the third spot with $14.7 million from 2,819 theaters.

The studio's Ice Age: The Meltdown dipped two spots in its fourth weekend to fourth place, earning another $12.8 million for an impressive total of $167.9 million domestically so far. The animated-comedy sequel was made for $80 million.

Disney's less-successfull The Wild rounded out the top five with $8.1 million, dropping just 16.9% in sales. The animated film, also made for $80 million, has collected $21.9 million in two weeks.

Sony comedy The Benchwarmers earned $7.3 million in its third weekend and is up to $47.1 million total.

Another wide release, Universal's American Dreamz, didn't receive much interest from moviegoers as it opened in the eighth spot with just $3.7 million from 1,500 theaters.

polkablues

Thanks to Silent Hill, The Benchwarmers, Underworld 2, and Medea's Family Reunion, I suspect we're going to see lots more movies not screened for critics prior to release.   :yabbse-sad:
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

"United 93," the first Hollywood movie to deal with the events of September 11, was No. 2 at the weekend box office in North America with respectable ticket sales of $11.6 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

The new Robin Williams comedy "RV" drove off with the top prize, selling about $16.4 million worth of tickets for the three days beginning Friday, while the teen gymnast drama "Stick It" opened at No. 3 with $11.3 million.

"United 93" is a dramatization of the events surrounding the flight that crashed in a Pennsylvania field after passengers fought back against the hijackers.

Budgeted at just $15 million, and filmed with a cast of relative unknowns away from the U.S. media spotlight in Britain, the Universal Pictures release was directed by English filmmaker Paul Greengrass, who shot the 2004 Matt Damon hit "The Bourne Supremacy." It premiered on Tuesday at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York, and has drawn rave reviews from critics.

But its tough subject matter made it difficult to forecast how the film would open and there were reports that pre-release surveys indicated that female filmgoers had little interest in it. As it turned out, women slightly outdrew men, 52 percent to 48 percent, according to exit surveys.

"LOUD AND CLEAR"

"I think Americans have spoken loud and clear, that they were ready for a film like this," said Nikki Rocco, president of domestic theatrical distribution at Universal, a unit of General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal Inc.

Rocco said the studio had had no expectations for the film's box office performance. It "wasn't the first and foremost aspect of producing the film," she said.

The film did skew old, though, with exit surveys showing that 71 percent of viewers were aged 30 and above. The film received a grade of "very good" or "excellent" from 95 percent of respondents (the norm is 80 percent), while 76 percent would definitely recommend it (the norm is 55 percent), the studio said.

About 51 percent of people showed up with their spouse while 11 percent of viewers showed up on a date.

"RV," released by Sony Corp.'s Columbia Pictures, marks an increasingly rare foray into family comedy for Williams, who has focused in recent years on modestly budgeted dramas such as "Insomnia" and "One Hour Photo." He plays the beleaguered head of a family on a cross-country trip in a recreational vehicle with plumbing problems.

The $16.4 million opening was "as good as we'd hoped it would be," said Rory Bruer, Columbia's president of domestic theatrical distribution.

Walt Disney Co.'s "Stick It" handily exceeded expectations, which had been in the $6 million-$9 million range. Teen girls turned out en masse for the story of a troubled young gymnast.

The top-10 contained one other new release, "Akeelah and the Bee," which opened at No. 8 with just $6.3 million. While the haul came in at the low end of its expectations, distributor Lionsgate said it was happy with the figure, and it hoped word-of-mouth would buoy the film in coming weeks. The audience skewed black and female, it said.

The acclaimed film revolves around an inner-city girl who defies the odds to get to the national spelling bee. Lionsgate, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. partnered on the project with Starbucks Corp., which promoted the film in its coffee stores in return for a share of any profits.

Kal

Not the best number for Mission Impossible...

The box office may be up for a seventh week, but that was the only good news this weekend, as Mission: Impossible III opened with a stunningly bland $48 million. That's far below most estimates, which ranged from the high fifties to the low seventies, and fingers will be pointing everywhere -- most likely (though not necessarily accurately) at Tom Cruise and his erratic behavior of the past year. Though there may be a certain amount of "Cruise fatigue," it's also worth noting that this time last year, Kingdom of Heaven tanked with $19.6 mil -- is pre-summer movie fatigue manifesting itself? Either way, M:I3 should have the next weekend to itself, until The Da Vinci Code comes along on May 19th. As for the week's other new releases, there wasn't anything to get excited about: An American Haunting scared up $6.38 million, while Hoot flopped with only $3.4 million. M:I3's dominance meant all the holdovers took drops of 40%-60%, with the exception of R.V., which surprisingly held its own with just a 32% slide to $11.1 million.

modage

its so crazy when $48 million opening weekend is a flop.