The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

jenkins

is this a depiction of fun or frustration, i can't tell

©brad

Reel

Joaquin appears to be totally in on the joke, I bet he pushed the button.

I love hearing PSH's normal voice while he's dressed as Dodd.

big day for xixax tomorrow with all the special features and whatnot. Amazon promised me it will arrive on time. Will it?

ono

Quote from: Reelist on February 25, 2013, 01:39:32 PM
big day for xixax tomorrow with all the special features and whatnot. Amazon promised me it will arrive on time. Will it?
I gots mine!  And for only $19.99!

Maybe Blu-Ray spoilers -- should there be a thread.

Watching the first special features right now.  It's like he took all of the stuff he didn't use and made a whole other film that's like "these other stories of Freddie and Dodd."  It's scored and with subtitles, which is very nice.  Wow, I really like the scene where Freddie opens the box and it's set aflame.

"I like Kools.  The minty flavor...  *snickers*  Fuck you!"

Reel

Quote from: ono on February 25, 2013, 03:59:05 PM
I gots mine! 

how the fuck did you make that happen you silly little cunt?

ono

Amazon Prime is just really, really good in my area.

Drenk

The UK Blu-Ray. Or the "we won awards" Blu-Ray. March 11.

I hope Back Beyond is in it.
Ascension.

max from fearless

Jesus, it looks horrible, plastered with all those fuckin' stars. But that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess...Bring on March 11, and it better have those extras on it. Just looked on Amazon and it's only one disc, whereas the American version is 2. Anyone know what's going on???

Drenk

The US version has the DVD too; so two discs.

I hate this zone thing. The US version looks so nice...
Ascension.

Pubrick

blu-ray covers always look like shit.

first reaction is to think wow how shit is this cover but if you think about it it's really kind of consumer-savvy in a cynical way. no one ever displays their dvds face forward. what's the point of hiring anyone with any talent or skill to design a stupid cover that will never get seen by anyone. dvds hardly rely on the cover to make a sale, the best you can get from a cool cover is a curious rental, how much money does that really bring in? like 20 dollars in total from some stoned teenagers looking for something that stands out.

it's not like theatrical posters that have to make that first cold sale, they have to establish the movie's strengths to bring in an audience. obviously PTA is no marketing genius otherwise he would've made a hit, and really the people funding him know this.. they just let him have his fun on the big screen and then when it comes time to distribute for home release the accountants take over and these shitty covers are a proof. he got to do what he wanted, at the expense of his investors, now the film is out in the real world and in many ways its out of his hands. it's our movie now, and some of us are profit-driven marketing people trying to salvage what we can from his sinking ship.

maybe i'm giving them too much credit.
under the paving stones.

modage

This is actually not true. Literally every piece of marketing material for the film all across the world must be approved by PTA. (See: JoAnne Sellar interview/Dustin Stanton interview)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

so he thought the blu ray cover would look GREAT with all those stars shooting out of their ears and a big red banner across the top?

at least this point still stands..

Quote from: Pubrick on February 26, 2013, 08:05:59 AM
PTA is no marketing genius

it hurts me to say it. the bit in That Moment where he beat himself up for making a flop is one of the most raw, honest parts of that documentary. i wish it weren't so.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Are any truly great film artists marketing geniuses? It's a vastly different skill set. Even with the perfect marketing campaign (whatever that might look like) a challenging film like The Master is never going to be a monster hit.