The Confabulators

Started by JG, October 31, 2010, 05:29:30 PM

matt35mm

I also really enjoyed it. It has a solid sense of its own unusual tone, which I think is the main thing that drew me in and kept me intrigued. It's well put together, with beautiful stolen shots of the city. The only thing that really came off as "low-budget" about it was that the main actors all seem a bit too young and are trying to play above their actual age, but then again, I'm not sure that that's not part of what contributes to the odd tone that works so well (like, maybe Ted wouldn't have such an odd presence if he didn't look like a kid in a big-boy suit).

Anyway, glad to have finally seen this. I'm looking forward to what you do next!

JG

Honestly guys, thanks so much for watching!

JG

hey, if anyone's in nyc, this is playing at videology in williamsburg this monday, june 10,at 8:30pm. its free, but its a bar, so you could have a drink. i'll be there!

here are some words about the film from craig keller, in the nobudge newsletter:

Quotea bizarre 'systems-comedy' that channels Pynchon as much as Stillman and Ferrara, a chamber-piece in varying shades of beige and taupe that nevertheless expands beyond the confines of its anodyne Wall Street office-space where a conspiracy-non-conspiracy surrounding something called "the Benson file" percolates into a New Rose Hotel'ish contemplation of the city skyline: the mysteries housed therein and the Kafka-castle-esque dread that its jigsaw outline imposes on those who would penetrate it
also a New York young-marriage comedy classical style: variation of lenses, shot set-ups, smooth travelings
there's a photo withVladimir Putin in a cowboy suit
and a black guy named Cormac
features in a major role Ted Fendt whom you might already be familiar with from his translations at The Notebook of Jean Eustache and the Straubs