Shekhar Kapur

Started by Ravi, June 04, 2004, 04:01:22 PM

Ravi

A little late, I know...

http://www.workingtitlefilms.com/featureProductionDiary.php?featureID=116

4 MAY 2006 - CHURCH OF ST. BARTHOLOMEW-THE-GREAT, LONDON
JUSTIN POLLARD, HISTORICAL RESEARCHER

One of the pivotal moments in the film is being shot today in this beautiful 12th century church - the execution by beheading of Mary Queen of Scots.

Mary was executed on the morning of 8th February, 1587 at the now ruined castle of Fotheringhay in Northamptonshire in a scene of high drama. She had only been told of her impending death the previous evening after dinner but, being aware that she had been condemned in a cursory trial the previous October, she had prepared herself for a spectacular and iconic death.

We have to condense the three horrific, magnificent last three hours of Mary's life into just few minutes of film so the filmmakers have picked the key moments from the recorded events and woven them into a master shot that sees Mary enter, ignoring the Protestant prayers of the Dean of Peterborough, mount the scaffold, disrobe revealing the crimson shift - the colour of Catholic martyrdom - beneath her black dress, grant her executioner forgiveness and place her head on the block.

Even though it's a film the scene has a startling effect on both the crew and the 100+ actors and extras in the room. Despite the lights and cameras I think most of us feel we are actually witnessing the execution. Over this silent scene rises the musical theme AR Rahman has composed for the movie, which arrived only this morning and which director Shekhar Kapur has asked for on playback during the scene. It echoes round the ancient walls of the church as Mary takes her last steps. We don't see the moment of her death - we don't need to. Mary has approached her last hours as a queen and she dies a queen.

Ravi

http://www.shekharkapur.com/goldenage/archives/2006/08/golden_age_music.html

August 08, 2006 | 08:07 PM

Golden Age Music

Ashwin asked : could u comment on the music of the film...im really eager to know how and what kind of music a r rahman has made and when the soundtrack will release...thanks :-)

Aswin, the music for Golden Age is being co composed by A R Rahman and Antonio Pinto. For those that don't know :

Antonio Pinto is very famous for his incredible sound track for the film City of God. He has also composed for films like Behind The Sun, and also partly composed for Collateral.

A R Rahman is one of India's most famous and prolific young composers. He has probably, in his short career, composed over 150 no 1 hits. In the West he is mostly known for the score of the hit West End musical, Bombay Dreams, and lately for the staged musical of Lord of The Rings.

I am really excited by the idea of both of the Composers working together. The come from two totally different cultures and imagine them composing for a film about a great English Queen ! Some of the compositions are very exciting. Rahman's very spiritual in their Easterness, and Anonio's exciting rythms almost dark and provocative.

I look forward them sitting together. So far they have not even met !

Shekhar

Ravi

http://www.shekharkapur.com/goldenage/archives/2007/03/craig_armsrong_and_a_r_rahman.html

Shekhar Kapur's blog (pardon the spelling)

March 25, 2007 | 08:22 PM
Craig Armsrong and A R Rahman

Both the composers are now feverishly working together in Galsgow (scotland) a Craig's studio for the score of Golden Age. It's fascinating to watch them interact. Two people with toally different backrounds and cultures. Because this is a predominently a western film, I am ecouraging Craig to lead it. But am looking to Rahman to inject some bold, 'out there' melodies and sounds into the score.

Ravi

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=229008

Golden Age will mark Shekhar Kapoor's return to big screen
Production over, AR Rahman and Scottish composer Craig Armstrong are working on the film's score
Alaka Sahani

Mumbai, March 28: OCTOBER will see the return of Shekhar Kapoor on big screen—across the globe—-with Golden Age. "It will be released on October 12. The production of the film (his second of the Elizabeth trilogy) is complete, barring music," says Kapoor, who is among India's popular faces in international films.

Maverick AR Rahman and Scottish composer Craig Armstrong are working on the film's score at the latter's studio in Glasgow. The teaming of the two composers is expected to show fascinating results considering their different backgrounds, thinks the director, a speaker at FICCI-Frame 2007. Kapoor recently mentioned in his blog that he has been encouraging Armstrong to lead, since the film is a pre-dominantly western production. "But I am looking to Rahman to inject some bold, out-there melodies and sounds into the score," he says.

Advertisement
The sneak preview of the movie starring Cate Blanchett was held in Los Angeles recently. With Kapoor terming the response as "exciting", the movie seems worth waiting for. Blanchett is once again playing the role of Queen Elizabeth, which had earned her an Academy award nomination in 1999. Golden Age takes the story forward by exploring the relationship between Elizabeth I and adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen).

In the final installment, Kapoor wants to cast Blanchett again. "But I have to wait for Cate to grow 10 years older to make it," says Kapoor, looking charming in brown kurta and maroon jacket.

In spite of handling major international projects, the Mr India-maker's heart still beats for Bollywood. He wants to make Paani—the film that has lived in his consciousness for almost seven years now. "I just need money to make it."

Between making his films, Kapoor has been creating comic characters and putting their stories in books.d Three of his books Snakewoman, Devi and Sadhu—which hit Indian stands only this month—-have already been out in the US, generating a huge response. A candid Kapoor admits to the Bollywood and Indian myth influences in his books. "Snakewoman is our Nagina. Comic books have allowed me to tell more stories as doing so through films is time consuming." But daughter Kaveree is yet to get a taste of his comic work. "She will someday. Right now, I want to be known to her only as daddy," says Kapoor.

For Kapoor fans, there is more in store. The animation film Secrets of Seven Sounds, of which he is the co-writer with Deepak Chopra and also executive producer, is going to be released world-wide in December. "The movie, inspired by Ramayana, is at an advance stage of production," reveals producer Biren Ghosh.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on March 29, 2007, 01:47:42 PM
In the final installment, Kapoor wants to cast Blanchett again. "But I have to wait for Cate to grow 10 years older to make it," says Kapoor,
best movie of next decade (so far)

Quote from: Ravi on March 29, 2007, 01:47:42 PM
looking charming in brown kurta and maroon jacket
also best outfit.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/06/arts/AS-A-E-MOV-India-Virgin-Comics.php

Nicolas Cage movie to be shot in India next year
The Associated Press
Published: April 6, 2007

MUMBAI, India: A movie starring Nicolas Cage as a soldier-turned-mystic bent on revenge will be shot in India early next year, an executive of the film's producer, Virgin Comics, said on Friday.

Self-improvement guru Deepak Chopra is working on the script for the movie, titled "The Sadhu," or "The Holy Man," to be directed by Indian filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, said Gotham Chopra, the chief creative officer of Virgin Comics. Gotham Chopra is Deepak Chopra's son.

The movie would be an adaptation of a comic book series about English soldier James Jensen on the hunt in India for the man who murdered his family.

"Nick chose Shekhar to direct the film. The sadhu is an iconic character," said Gotham Chopra ahead of the launch of Virgin Comics in the subcontinent next week. "He is an Indian equivalent of the samurai. He is the spiritual warrior of the mind."

Kapur is known in the West for his movies "Elizabeth," starring Cate Blanchett as England's Queen Elizabeth I, and "Bandit Queen," dealing with the life of an Indian woman outlaw.

"Our goal is to start filming in India in early 2008," Gotham Chopra told The Associated Press.

Cage got interested in the project after reading the comic last year.

"We sat down and talked to him about India and sadhus," said Gotham Chopra. "The story is very much set here and everybody including Nick loves the idea of shooting it in India."

Details about the film's financing and distribution were not available.

Virgin Comics is a year-old partnership involving British billionaire Richard Branson, Deepak Chopra and Kapur.

The comics "The Sadhu," "Devi" and "Snakewoman," created by a team of the company's graphic artists in the southern Indian city of Bangalore, build on epic Indian stories of good triumphing over evil, reincarnation and destiny.

While "Devi" tells the story of a fierce female warrior reborn into the body of a woman to fight evil forces, "Snakewoman" is about a girl growing up in Los Angeles who finds out she is the reincarnation of an ancient snake goddess.

The comics were tested in the competitive North American market last year before the worldwide release this summer.

The company plans to shape Indian content into stories and characters with global appeal on the lines of the Japanese "manga" or "anime" characters — such as Pokemon — that are familiar to children in America and all over the world.

The company says India is one of the biggest entertainment markets with 55 percent of the population — 550 million people — under the age of 25.

Ravi

Ravi

http://www.businessofcinema.com/boc/?file=story&id=5863

Shekhar Kapur readies animation movie
By Businessofcinema.com Team
17 November 2007, 10:01 PM

MUMBAI: Director Shekhar Kapur has an animation film under his belt. Titled Suitable Cockroach, the film is being worked upon by animation studio, Prana. Kapur, who is known for his story telling, is scripting the film. The music of the film is by A R Rahman, who has also worked with the producer on Elizabeth -The Golden Age.

The story of Suitable Cockroach revolves around the most hated Asian creature - the cockroach. What's more, Kapur plans release the movie on the internet first, after which the theatrical release will follow.

Speaking to Businessofcinema.com, Kapur says, "I never go by what's being done. The new media is a fascinating medium and I would love to experiment my film on the net. I intend to release it on YouTube.com first."

About the expected returns, he adds, "Downloads are the most expected returns for a film being out on net first. I will be setting a new trend."

Kapur has been approached by some animation studios to ink film deals. He informs, "I am in talks with an animation studio called Animal Logic based in Sydney. It will be a one film deal."

This apart, he is also planning to upload all his work in relation to Paani on the net in terms of designs, pictures and blogs. When queried on the reason behind this, he says, "I want my audience to get linked with the movie, so that when they watch the film they feel that they are a part of the cast and crew. It is wonderful to communicate, I am the producer-I can do it."

MacGuffin

"Elizabeth" director inspired by cockroaches tale

Switching from 16th century queens to tiny urban pests may be difficult for some filmmakers but not for Indian director Shekhar Kapur.

"Elizabeth: The Golden Age," the sequel to his Oscar-nominated period film "Elizabeth," opened in Indian cinemas on Friday but Kapur is already hard at work on his next film, "A Suitable Cockroach."

"It's an animation film based on some characters and a story I have created," Kapur said on the sidelines of the 38th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which kicked off over the weekend close to the golden beaches of Goa.

Kapur is wary of giving details, saying, "I can't keep giving away my stories, someone will copy it."

But media reports suggest the film is set in the future when the common household insect may be the only living organism on the planet.

Top Bollywood composer A R Rahman has been roped in to score the music for the film.

Kapur said he is yet to finish writing his other film 'Paani' (Water), a project announced earlier.

"'Paani' is about a time when water gets completely privatized," the 61-year-old filmmaker, said explaining why he had stopped buying bottled water.

"The environmental cost of drinking bottled water is huge."

As for 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age', delegates at IFFI Goa will not get to watch it at the annual film festival India is trying to promote as its own Cannes.

"I just came back to India a few days ago. If the Directorate (of Film Festivals) had asked me, I would have probably arranged it," Kapur said. "Perhaps they were not sure of its release date in India."

The sequel to the 1998 film, loosely based on events during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, sees Cate Blanchett reprising her role as the British monarch.

Following its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, some critics had said the film contained several historical inaccuracies.

It was possibly because of this that 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' was released in India with a disclaimer. But Kapur is unfazed.

"It's not a big disclaimer. It just says that history has diverse interpretations and this is one of them," he said.

But in a blog post on his official website www.shekharkapur.com, the director seemed to suggest the film hadn't deviated much from history.

"History? My producer, my writers, my researcher are all historians with top honors either from Cambridge or Oxford. They dominated the script. Surely, the film cannot have gone that far away from history," Kapur wrote in his blog on Saturday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Shekhar Kapur signs on for 'Larklight'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Shekhar Kapur has signed on to develop and direct "Larklight," a period fantasy Di Novi Pictures is producing for Warner Bros.

Kapur, who most recently directed and wrote "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," is working with writer Steven Knight ("Eastern Promises") to adapt Philip Reeve's novel.

The 2006 book, set in aVictorian-era alternate universe in which mankind has been exploring the solar system since the time of Isaac Newton, revolves around a brother and sister who team with a band of renegade space pirates to save the world from destruction at the hands of a madman.

"It's a $200 million project, probably the most expensive film I've made and will ever make," Kapur told the Indo-Asian News Service on the weekend.

Denise Di Novi is producing while Alison Greenspan is exec producing.

Last week, Kapur signed on to take over the director's chair for the late Anthony Minghella for his segment of the shorts ensemble "New York, I Love You."

He has several projects in development, including "Solace" at New Line and "Paani," a futuristic film set in Mumbai centering on the scarcity of water.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://rahmaniac.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/passage-a-r-rahmans-next-holly-flick/

Passage ~ A R Rahman's next Holly Flick
16 05 2009

Shekhar Kapoor is on cloud nine. He has just finished a short film in Argentina, for which the music was by A.R. Rahman, and has been asked to sculpt a structure inspired by the film that will join likes of Salvadore Dali and Picasso in a museum in Europe.

Speaking about the music of Passage, Shekhar Kapoor quotes "Rahman composed a classic opera song that he recorded in India in an Indian female singer's voice from his KM music institute in Chennai. When I played the song in Argentina, they said, 'Oh My God, what a great opera and an operatic voice ' Their jaws fell open when I said both were Indians"

The 25-minute film "Passage" stars Haley Benett, Lily Cole and Julia Stiles.

Synopsis : Three estranged sisters reunite one night when the oldest, Ella, comes back for her two younger sisters after leaving them years before in mysterious circumstances. Ella's absence has taken its toll and the two younger sisters now struggle to find their way in the world without her.

But Ella has returned for a reason ­to show her sisters a special place where they will experience an epiphany.

Trailer

Looks gorgeous.

MacGuffin

Julia Roberts producing Mt. Everest film
Shekhar Kapur will direct George Mallory biopic
Source: Variety

Shekhar Kapur is heading for Mt. Everest, signing on to direct a biopic of famed English explorer George Mallory with Julia Roberts' Red Om Films and Kevin Townsend's Science + Fiction producing.

Mallory's remembered as having said, "Because it's there" in reply to the question "Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?" He and his climbing partner disappeared in 1924; they were 800 feet from the summit before the clouds closed in.

"Mallory" is being produced by Townsend, Roberts, Philip Rose and Lisa Gillan of Red Om Films. Set in post-WW1 England, the story chronicles Mallory's attempts to scale Everest and the toll it takes on his marriage, as the mountain becomes his obsession.

The script's written by Townsend and the team of Matthew Faulk and Mark Skeet ("Vanity Fair"). Kapur's credits include "Elizabeth" and "Elizabeth: the Golden Age."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i5eb1f730e820629439439dae53734981

Floodgates finally open for Kapur's 'Water'
By Stuart Kemp
May 14, 2010, 12:51 PM ET

CANNES -- Shekhar Kapur will direct "Paani" (Water) from a script by David Farr, having secured the $30 million budget from Swarovski Entertainment and Adlabs founder-turned-producer Manmohan Shetty.

The project idea has occupied Kapur's mind for 10 years and, after pressure from fellow filmmaker Danny Boyle and Shetty's insistence that "he gets on and makes it before it's too late," Kapur plans to shoot in November with additional backing from Walk Water in Singapore, Dubai and on large purpose-built sets being designed by John Myrhe.

Boyle will get a producer credit of some kind for his efforts, Kapur said and the project also marks the first full-length feature backed by Swarovski's start-up entertainment arm.

A.R. Rahman has written two original songs for the project, Kapur said.

The project is a love story set in a mega city in a future where precious H2O has all but run out and corporations go to war over its control. The city is divided into two conflicting halves, in which the upper city hoards all the water and drip feeds the slums of the lower city. A girl from the upper tier meets a water rat boy and falls in love against this backdrop.

Swarovski backed the project after Kapur wrote and directed short film "Passage" in Buenos Aires last year as its first project. Kapur said he plans to make the $30 million budget look like $150 million and will aim to seal a negative pickup studio deal with the aim of ensuring the finished film is seen by as many people as possible.

"We want and have to get this story out there as widely as we can," Kapur said. "Luckily, with the partners we have now, we can go and make it without needing to go to the studios to get money, but will want it on lots of screens. Water conservation is an important issue for me so this is a film very close to my heart."

One of the key drivers behind the project is an aim to bring the growing global issue of a world without clean, drinking water and the threat to humanity it reps to the top of the global political agenda. "Blue Covenant" author Maude Barlowe is aboard and hopes Kapur's film will play a part in taking awareness to a whole new level.

Pubrick

well that's damn good news.

too bad i already wrote him off after Elizabeth The Golden Age.  :yabbse-undecided:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Shekhar Kapur to Direct 'London Fields'
The murder mystery based on Martin Amis' 1989 novel will be produced by Muse Films.

GOA – Shekhar Kapur (Elizabeth) will direct murder mystery London Fields, based on the well-known 1989 novel by British author Martin Amis.

"I am looking forward to this project because I have never directed a murder mystery before," Kapur told The Hollywood Reporter on the sidelines of the annual Film Bazaar market organized by the Indian government's National Film Development Corporation which concluded Sunday in Goa.

Film rights for London Fields were jointly acquired in 2000 by Tartan Films and US production outfit Muse Productions headed by Chris Hanley ( credits include Buffalo 66, The Virgin Suicides, American Psycho and The Killer Inside Me.) Hanley will serve as the film's producer alongwith Jordan Gertner (of Muse's associate financing company Hero) and Mary Vernieu.

London Fields is narrated by an American writer, Samson Young, living in London who has had writer's block for 20 years and is now terminally ill while other main characters include a psychic woman, Nicola Six, who meets two men in a bar and  senses that one of them will murder her on her 35th birthday.

London Fields has had Michael Winterbottom and David Cronenberg attached as directors in the past.

Kapur started out directing Bollywood musicals in the Eighties before moving on to 1994's gritty bio-pic Bandit Queen followed by his 1998 mainstream breakthrough with the Cate Blanchett-starrer Elizabeth and its sequel Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

While Kapur did not give a specific time frame as to when London Fields could go into production, the director is also busy prepping other projects, most notably his passion project Paani (Water) which is set in a futuristic Mumbai where water divides the haves and the have-nots. "I am also in preparations for the third instalment of Elizabeth," he added.

Skeleton FilmWorks