The Disaster Artist

Started by Kal, December 03, 2017, 01:36:52 PM

Kal

I didn't see a thread for this (found one for The Room but I figured this deserves its own). Has anyone seen it?

I think it's my favorite, or for sure in the top 5 this year so far. James Franco is so great playing Wiseau, and I never read the book but it seems like they did an outstanding job adapting a weird crazy story into a really good movie. I loved everything about it.

Has anyone seen it? Makes me also want to go to one o the crazy The Room screenings in public, which I have never done. I have watched enough scenes of this movie over the years to see how insanely ridiculous it was and never felt like I needed the full experience. Now I may have to do it.

Something Spanish

It's a good comedy, but I was hoping for a movie that had something to say about the artistic process and the passion people feel in creating. Wiseau just comes off like a rich ignorant asshole who made a movie simply because he had the financial means to do so, not because he was borderline suicidal and HAD to make "The Room" to continue living, or because he was obsessed with expressing his so-called talent as an actor, which is supposedly the case in real life. Franco's impersonation is spot on, but would have been great if he explored the character at length. We never grasp his possessive obsession with Greg or what makes him tick, he's just a caricature, albeit a very funny one.

It's a fun flick, but far from one of the year's best for me.

Ravi

^ That's how I felt too. It doesn't delve nearly as deep as it should have.

samsong

everyone stick around for the post-credit scene.  it's probably the best part apart from the side-by-sides.  franco's embodiment of wiseau is pretty fucking uncanny.

it's entertaining but a sterile rendering of an outrageous story.  given his proclivity for the eccentric, i was hoping for something weirder or at least more emblematic of franco, the self proclaimed "artiste".  this could've been made by anyone else in the apatow stable.

Drenk

This movie looks like a child is in control of the frame. Dave Franco is bad at acting in an irritating way. I hadn't read about these two enormous flaws before, they made the movie hard to watch for me.

I guess it's well liked because Franco does a good imitation. But it's nothing more than an imitation.
Ascension.