Overrated Directors?

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 17, 2003, 06:24:57 PM

Rudie Obias

guy ritchie
brett ratner
roger avery
george lucus (old & new)
and
bryan fuckin' singer (i really hate him!  fucki' overrated hack!!)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Alethia

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: ewardi kinda like him too...........now i feel bad for it lol

What? Why? No no no, don't feel bad if you like him. Nobody should ever feel bad for what they like unless their like a pedophile or something man. Really though, I don't think you should give mine or anybody's opinion that kind of power cause it's up to what you like. I'm no expert, trust me on that. But this is what I think and I do have reasoning for it which godardian asked me to talk about. He probably won't change his mind after he reads my reply and that's alright...neither should you. I was just giving him the respect to respond to his question. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. I just know what I think, that's all. I'll feel bad if I ever make anybody dislike something they once liked. I shouldn't have that power. I'm 17 years old.

lol no, im just kidding around, dont worry about it.    if i like him, i like him.  altho, i do see ur reasoning as to not liking him.  ahh i like him but not that much lol I dont know what I'm saying.......

Ernie

Quote from: rudieobbryan fuckin' singer (i really hate him!  fucki' overrated hack!!)

How could I forget!? Oh my god, I loathe "The Usual Suspects" as much as I loathe "Armageddon". Horrible horrible filmmaking!

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rudieobbryan fuckin' singer (i really hate him!  fucki' overrated hack!!)

How could I forget!? Oh my god, I loathe "The Usual Suspects" as much as I loathe "Armageddon". Horrible horrible filmmaking!

You guys... you... bah... The Usual Suspects is great, although I don't think his other movies are really that great (that goes specially for the X-Men series).
Si

Gamblour.

Cameron Crowe
Kevin Smith
Roger Avary
George Lucas
Danny Boyle
Ridley Scott
Peter Weir
Wachowski Bros.
Milos Forman

Now, I do like some movies from some of these guys, but some have that one good movie and the rest is shit.
WWPTAD?

Ernie

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

You guys... you... bah... The Usual Suspects is great, although I don't think his other movies are really that great (that goes specially for the X-Men series).

I hope people won't start saying that it must be "hip" to hate Usual Suspects now, that pisses me off. Of course now somebody's going to say since I'm outright saying that it annoys me. It really does because it's such a lie. I hate the movie because it's a super smug, manipulative, ugly, unlikable film. That's why I hate it. I don't hate it cause it's popular.

subversiveproductions

Not to stir the shit, but Godardian, beautiful posts regarding the Spielberg issue: you put words to all my feelings about him.  Secondly, you no like Usual Suspects?  Awwww!  Come on, you must have at least enjoyed the twist?  I dunno, maybe not.  Also, someone said Cameron Crowe, and they also said they enjoyed some of his films, I hope hope hope Almost Famous (Esp. the Untitled director's cut) is among these.

As far as overrated: the Swede responsible for Spun.  Blech.  I thought Arronofsky had already pushed the limit of style vs. substance far enough.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

Gamblour.

As long as you don't agree wholly with Roger Ebert's review...that's by far one of his worst, least thought out, and dumbest reviews ever. He basically says he didn't like it because he didn't get it.

And Almost Famous is the only Crowe film I like.
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: SqueoKevin Smith and his pathetic Askewniverse.
Couldn't disagree with you more.

Raikus, you know I couldn't agree with you more.

Over-Rated
Stanley Kubrick
George Lucas
Darren Aronofsky
John Hughes
Roman Polanski
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

this thread should hook up with Not So Classic Classics. aka, Who Hates the Best Movies.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pthis thread should hook up with Not So Classic Classics. aka, Who Hates the Best Movies.

no shit.

Quote from: Gamblor du JourAs long as you don't agree wholly with Roger Ebert's review...that's by far one of his worst, least thought out, and dumbest reviews ever. He basically says he didn't like it because he didn't get it.

jerry maguire? say anything? come on man...

can't we have threads about movies we love so so so so so much??!! it's christmas.

Gamblour.

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: Gamblor du JourAs long as you don't agree wholly with Roger Ebert's review...that's by far one of his worst, least thought out, and dumbest reviews ever. He basically says he didn't like it because he didn't get it.

jerry maguire? say anything? come on man...

can't we have threads about movies we love so so so so so much??!! it's christmas.

Jerry Maguire was a movie settled way short, it was built on those two one-liners near the end (You complete me...you had me at hello, Christ what soap opera crap) and the Show me the money line. There were good parts, but the rest just proved that Crowe is a whore and a cheap writer.

Say Anything could've been ok, it was quieter than Maguire and more heartfelt, but wtf was with the prison storyline? It just seemed really weird, and I didn't really connect with Cusack.

And I'll create a Why I Love Movies thread for you so we can be more positive about movies.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04As far as underrated directors:

Tim Burton ( he gets SOME credit, but rarely for his movies, only his imagination)
David Lynch seems to be
Same with Wes Anderson, but for all I know they're not
PTA, simply because he needs to have as much recognition as Tarantino
Terry Gilliam
Gus Van Sant
Sam Raimi

I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

I totally agree.

Quote from: the same guySilent Movie wasn't very good
Spaceballs sucks
Life Stinks sucks
Robin Hood and Dracula were mediocre

History of the World Part 1 is the funny one he made since blazing saddles

How did Spaceballs, Robin Hood, or Dracula suck?  And to think...I once agreed with you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Rudie Obias

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

I hope people won't start saying that it must be "hip" to hate Usual Suspects now, that pisses me off. Of course now somebody's going to say since I'm outright saying that it annoys me. It really does because it's such a lie. I hate the movie because it's a super smug, manipulative, ugly, unlikable film. That's why I hate it. I don't hate it cause it's popular.

nope, i've always hate THE USUAL SUSPECTS ever since i first saw it.  bad, bad, bad movie.  i call it "the most overrated film of the 90s"!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Gamblour.

Hmm, I just got through watching Usual Suspects, I'm sure it's been asked before, but what's wrong with it?
WWPTAD?