I think I finally got it...

Started by Xixax, February 04, 2003, 11:28:38 AM

Xixax

Several years ago, before I was really into movies, a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about how great Pulp Fiction was, so I decided to rent it.

I turned it off halfway through, and from then on declared myself "not a fan of Tarantino".

But last night, I caught the last half hour or so of Pulp Fiction on cable, and I think I finally got what was so great about the movie in so many people's eyes (and now, possibly even mine).

I was completely blown away by the dialogue.

So now, I need to watch it again with different eyes. Before, I watched it expecting story. Now, I'll watch it looking for characters and dialogue. Before it's over, maybe I'll finally have a bit of appreciation for someone who I've largely ignored in the past.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

SHAFTR

first off, your avatar scares the hell out of me

second off, when Pulp Fiction was huge, I never liked it.  I watched it and I didn't see what was so great about it.  I watched it again and it clicked for me too.  I now am a huge Tarantino fan.

It is more than just the dialogue, the homages to other films, the long takes, the natural lighting, the soundtracks....all of it...
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bonanzataz

I grew up on this movie. I've loved it since I was 9, before I got any of the film references and directorial genius that was Tarantino. I just thought it was hella cool!

I apologize, I will NEVER say hella again.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Pulp Fiction is a classic. And one weird thing is that I never really got into the movie until really late. Thing is, I have only been serious about movies since '99 and discovered a love for Pulp Fiction like two years after that.

But people in my opinion never really seem to get what makes it so great. I always compare it to The Passion of Joan of Arc in creating a new way of building characters and a story. Passion focused on character development through just the imagery of Joan of Arc and her accusors during her trial. All things noticeable of the three act play kinda story was gone. Pulp does the same thing and lets us analyze characters through how they talk and act in situations that may be of no importance to the history or understanding of the character, but thing is, that's real life and thats how we see other people around us. But with the professions the characters have, we identify them all with being bad guys, the great thing is that with every criminal act one does, it is followed up with an act of redemption of sorts and the ambiguilty is who in the film truly believes in what they are doing is for their own redemption or just to save their own skin only. Identifying sincereness in characters that at first glance have none is truly what makes Pulp Fiction special.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

So what is in the briefcase? Gold? A soul? Something to do with Kiss Me Deadly? God?

Raikus

Although Tarantino has said that it is unspecified, the popular theory is that the briefcase contains Marcel Wallace's soul.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

BonBon85

I probably saw the same interview. He just figured that the contents wouldn't seem so great if they were known. I tend to agree. I never liked the whole soul theory. It just seemed too "out there" for this kind of movie.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck SauceSo what is in the briefcase?

A MacGuffin  :lol:

Xixax

Nice one, JB!

(where's that thumbs up everyone has been begging for?)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

The soul thing is always an interesting theory, but my personal favorite is "Greed"

Gold Trumpet

I liked how they made that glow so unrealistic to anything one would think that it could be so everyone has started guessing on what it could be.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: SHAFTRfirst off, your avatar scares the hell out of me

second off, when Pulp Fiction was huge, I never liked it.  I watched it and I didn't see what was so great about it.  I watched it again and it clicked for me too.  I now am a huge Tarantino fan.

It is more than just the dialogue, the homages to other films, the long takes, the natural lighting, the soundtracks....all of it...

HAHA! Me too man!  (I'm a big wimp though. When I first saw Scream freshman year in high school it scared the hell out of me) I don't know why but I really just busted out laughing in the library when I read this. I need to lay off the sauce...

oakmanc234

I'll never forget the first time I saw 'Pulp Fiction'.
It was about 10 at night, on video, and I couldn't beleive my eyes (watching this whole film at night is an experience)
All this wild crap happens that you just dont see coming (one minute Uma Thurman is dancing around in her house, moments later she's in a bloody mess, one minute Bruce Willis is sneaking into his motel room, five minutes later he's in a basement with two rapists and a gimp!)
It was so different and exhilerating (how often in a film do you see a conversation in a car that is suddenly interupted because a person accidently blows someones head off?)

'Pulp Fiction' forever!
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Travis Bickle

you were ten, that other dude was nine. damn i'm old.

pgr

Quote from: Duck SauceSo what is in the briefcase? Gold? A soul? Something to do with Kiss Me Deadly? God?
this is a very tired question and there is no right answer...