(Coen Bros) Kenneth Loring & Forever Young Films

Started by life_boy, July 03, 2003, 07:33:58 PM

Cecil

the guy who commited suicide because of the cgi thing (or the fly thing, i dont remember) was the funniest part for me

Steven West

The intro baffled me at first. Being the Coen's first indie release, I thought 'okay. This is pretty lame, but maybe some validity to it?' And yes, the soundtrack has been restored to include The 4 Tops 'It's The Same Old Song' which wowed me when I first saw the movie umpteen years ago. I was so pissed on later TV showings and my VHS copy that the song was changed (I guess the bros. didn't get adequate licensing rights?) But it's when I started listening to the commentary, I got sucked in. It makes sense at first - the characters are on a set, fake rain, and the oncoming lights had to be timed just right for the titles. But then he goes on to say that due to elements and realism, the lights had to be filmed in reverse, the actors had to mouth their dialogue backwards, and for replay to be accurate when ran forward, the actors were actually suspended upside down with a generous amount of mousse in their hair to hold it down. A brilliant performance by both under such arduous circumstances. After studying Kubrick, Clouzout, Scorcese, and such - this was the MOST outlandish thing I ever heard! And then I started to laugh...

It really turns the movie into a Monty Python bit when one listens to the commentary. Like night and day to watch 'as is' then with commentary. An excellent movie still either way. ;)