5. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
4. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
3. Xiu Xiu - Dear God, I Hate Myself
2. Girl Talk - All Day
1. Electric Wizard - Black Masses

Runner(s)-up
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
The National - High Violet
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

squints

you forgot the Walkmen...

and i was like "Hmm electric wizard? never heard of them..lets see here...oh.." tags: "doom. stoner metal" 

...of course!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideas on July 08, 2010, 04:57:16 PM
no love for Caribou - Swim?

or Avey Tare of Animal Collective?

Pitchfork didn't even give him Honorable Mention, so that means he didn't make Top 70! wow.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: squints on December 15, 2010, 04:05:32 PM
you forgot the Walkmen...

and i was like "Hmm electric wizard? never heard of them..lets see here...oh.." tags: "doom. stoner metal" 

...of course!

Actually, I missed the Walkmen release this year, I do love them.  I'll check it out and fix my list accordingly.

But seriously, check out Electric Wizard.  Stoner metal is a negative connotation.  It's really more heavy, psychedelic blues.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gloria

Patty Griffin - Downtown Church
Robyn - Body Talk Part 1
B.o.B - Adventures of Bobby Ray
Bruno Mars - Doowaps and Hooligans
Laura Marling - I speak because I can
Eminem - Recovery
Marina and the Diamonds - Family Jewels
Brandon Flowers - Flamingo
Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

mogwai

Alexandro

Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
Sleigh Bells - Treats
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Quote from: Gamblour. on July 01, 2010, 11:36:06 PM

So bored already:

1. Vampire Weekend

indeed...

Stefen

That Sleigh Bells album has to be the worst produced album I have ever heard.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Quote from: Stefen on December 20, 2010, 01:16:12 PM
That Sleigh Bells album has to be the worst produced album I have ever heard.

Kings Of Leon's latest has to hold the title for worst produced album of the year.

cronopio 2

crystal castles
beach house
lcd soundsystem
sufjan stevens
mike patton
hot chip
gorillaz
mike patton
arcade fire
and the one i'm forgetting.

good music year. crystal castles is definitely  my favorite. that's amazing music.

polkablues

It was a good year for the ladies.

The Head and the Heart

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Your pussy was probably in a good mood all year.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

I agree wit ha handful of album people have already mentioned (The Hold Steady, Titus Andronicus)... here are some I haven't seen listed here yet:

No Age - Everything In Between

What an accomplished progression from Nouns, their previous album. It betrays none of their experimentalism or love of noise, while adding a joyously catchy pop sensibility. It's a short album, no filler and you never feel cheated. Dreamy and loud.

Of Montreal - False Priest

I like Of Montreal best when their in Prince freakout mode. Aggressively sexy walls of sound that don't stay in one place for too long. Add the production flourishes of Jon Brion and you have an album that never fails to make me want to shake my ass. Kevin Barnes alternates between sincerity and being full of shit, keeping me on my toes from start to finish.

Earlier this year, I saw Barnes sing a really emotive version of John Lennon's "Mother" with Bron accompanying him on piano. It was beautiful and vulnerable. Later in the year, I saw Barnes with full band, garish and sexual, covering a medley of Michael Jackson songs, complete with his own hype man engaging the crowd between songs. Barnes seemed equally comfortable with each persona, fragility and bravado, and it's exciting to see what personality he'll inhabit next.

Jonathan Richman - O Moon, Queen of the Night on Earth

Another beautiful album from a constantly underrated pinnacle of the American music pantheon. Jonathan Richman has quietly made a career delivering emotive, dependable albums of joy and pain, sometimes with nothing more than an acoustic guitar and some drums. He's an amazing lyricist, stripping everything of pretension or abstraction - this album is no exception.

Boston Spaceships - Our Cubehouse Still Rocks

Like vintage Guided By Voices. An album instantly familiar and excitingly fresh. The perfect compliment to the recent GBV reunion tour and another example of Robert Pollard's ability to toss off rock songs catchier and more vital than dudes half his age. COmplimentary listening to Superchunk's Majesty Shredding. Another album that's nostalgic to a sound more prevelant two decades ago without sounding a bit repetitious.

Drive-By Truckers - The Big Do-To

Consummate storytellers. Like Flannery O'Connor with guitars. They craft a word that is richly cinematic and astutely realistic with every song. And they rock, too.

And, while I can't share the enthuiasm many of you have for LCD Soundsystem's This is Happening, I have no reservation in saying it has the best opening and closing tracks of any album I've heard all year. "Dance Yrself Clean" and "Home" are both pretty and ambitious in all the right ways. I'm surprised I can love two songs so much while dismissing everything that comes between them.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

You guys are sleeping on Yeasayers Odd Blood. It came out in January, but it's so good. It's dancy, but artsy and precise. The songwriting can be silly, but it sounds so good, who cares?

Neil

LCD soundsystem - This is happening
Black Keys- Brother (F U walrus the production is dynamite and it's the dirtiest rock that anyone is putting out - Hi-fi is the new lo-fi).
Vampire weekend - Contra (Diplomat's son and I think ur a contra are two of the best tracks of the year, i'm not bored, just wish it was a longer album).
National - High Violet
The Tallest man on earth -  The Wild Hunt  & Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird (EP) ( This guy is a fucking phenom, i would kill to be able to write songs as good as him).
She and him - Vol 2
Kid Cudi - 9     Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager     
Kanye West  - my dark twisted beautiful fantasy.  No one is making beats like this guy, his shit is raw and gritty as all get out.

Honorable mention :

Robert Plants new album
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
B.o.B - B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray
Eminem Recovery - now i think the beats on this album is bullshit and most of the hooks are lame as fuck.  Look out he inverted his hair color and now he's motivational.  His flow is undoubtedly one of the best out, this album is kinda bullshit to me. I can respect a guy growing up, but he should have included more dre beats.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.