The worst Spielberg flick?

Started by Spike, April 15, 2003, 03:24:55 PM

phil marlowe

Quote from: GhostboyThe Thin Red Line was the best war movie that year. And possibly one of the best of all time.
totally. i really dont understand all the talk of it failing badly and that its one of the greatest cinematic disapointments ever. for me it is THE war movie. its one of those very few movies of the genre that doesnt seem fake to me, maybe because it operates on such a psykological level. many of the movies who often is being referred to as masterpieces, such as private ryan and platoon, doesnt get to me. i dont believe the movie is showing war action, i believe the movie is showing actors who run around pretending to be in war action.

Keener

I loved Platoon. I haven't seen SPR since it came out. I didn't like it then aside from selected scenes. This is the first time I'm not alone. I really should give it another chance, though. I was friggin' 13 at the time.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

aurora

Quote from: Ghostboy
The Thin Red Line was the best war movie that year. And possibly one of the best of all time.

Fuck yeah. Easily. That movie is so great. The score is amazing. Best score ever.

MrBurgerKing

Thin Red Line is still shrink wrapped on my shelf. Perhaps on a cold sunday night I can pop it in the DVD player while drinking a cold can of orange soda? I believe Badlands and Days of Heaven are masterworks, and The Thin Red Line is probably a masterwork as well.

While we're on the topic, I'd say The Lost World is his worst as well. At least with Hook, he was trying to make a movie for little kids to enjoy.

MrBurgerKing

While we're on war films, I'll always make the case that The Deer Hunter is the best war movie ever. Finally, a war film without much war and combat.

I know, it's kind of like a cheesesteak without cheese, but at least the beef is really good, and the bread is baked to perfection.. soft and fluffy.

xerxes

i don't care what any of you say... well, that's a little mean and not completely true... but i hated the thin red line... with an all consuming passion, which has since died down, but that may be because i refuse to watch it again.

godardian

So many, many to choose from...

...at this point, I'll only cop to even sort of liking Temple of Doom. Low on sap and "seriousness," high on energy and pulp. That's what he's good at.

The crap, in order of craptacularity:

Saving Private Ryan
Always
A.I. (a desecration)
Amistad

[/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Does picking one mean I think he actually has Good Films? If so, I will say EVERYTHING except Jaws.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Actually, y'know what, that's mean. I shouldn't rip the guy in his own section; this is where the fans are. So I'll just say I liked Jaws... and leave it at that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i thought it was painfully unfunny and terribly long.  im not sure i ever made it to the end of that one.  
the lost world atleast had a few cool suspense sequences.  (c'mon the truck hanging off the cliff, with julianne moore pressed up against the breaking glass, was cool. admit it).
i havent seen temple of doom in atleast 10 years although i remember liking it better than the first one when i was younger.  then again, kids usually like sequels because theyre more suited towards the slower attention spans of kids.  (back to the future 2 comes to mind as another one i liked better (cause the future was cool).)  
i loved saving private ryan although its a bit too spielbergesque for some.  

amistad didnt really do anything for me though.  a bit boring and by the numbers historical type thing, just wasnt my bag.  cool cinematography in the opening boat sequence during the storm though.  
( havent seen always, sugarland express or duel).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

Worst by Spielburg: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I'm still waiting for a decent alien/abduction movie (i.e. does NOT take place in space).  I guess I'll just have to make it myself.  It will be truly wonderful, people.  Believe me.

Also, The Thin Red Line is an overrated piece of garbage.  I couldn't even make it to the end.  I cut it off in the middle of a battle sequence (in some shallow river), I just couldn't take anymore.  So, nobody better tell me, "Oh, that's when it starts to get GOOD!" because it was already two hours into the damn thing.  And the only war movie worse than Red Line was Windtalkers... but somehow I made it all the way through Windtalkers.

Sorry for the OT.  :roll:

Mesh

Quote from: markums2kWorst by Spielburg: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The fuck? I mean, what? No.

Quote from: markums2kAlso, The Thin Red Line is an overrated piece of garbage.  I couldn't even make it to the end.  I cut it off in the middle of a battle sequence (in some shallow river), I just couldn't take anymore.  So, nobody better tell me, "Oh, that's when it starts to get GOOD!" because it was already two hours into the damn thing.  And the only war movie worse than Red Line was Windtalkers... but somehow I made it all the way through Windtalkers.

Have you ever seen any movies?

markums2k

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: markums2kWorst by Spielburg: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The fuck? I mean, what? No.

Have you ever seen any movies?

I guess what I said was so wonderful that it just all had to be said again...

Okay, I like how you just completely avoid making any sort of point in your post.  I mean, other than, markums2k doesn't have any idea of what he's talking about.

I stand by my statement.  Close Encounters... it's awful.  In my opinion.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  I don't think it's a masterpiece by any stretch.  I've seen it 4 times.  All being attentive, deliberate viewings, and I hated it more everytime.  I'm even biased in favor of the subject matter, and I still hate it.  To this day.

And no.  I have never seen any movies.  I don't even know who Steven Spielburg is.  Funny how that works.   :?

Mesh

Quote from: markums2k
Okay, I like how you just completely avoid making any sort of point in your post.  I mean, other than, markums2k doesn't have any idea of what he's talking about.

That's pretty much what I was going for.

Mesh

Quote from: markums2k
And no.  I have never seen any movies.  I don't even know who Steven Spielburg is.  Funny how that works.   :?

Dude, your two worst War Films of All Time are Windtalkers and The Thin Red Line.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?