WorldForgot

poopooboy

Timothee chalamet might die of the corona 😂😂😂😂

Alethia

With any luck, you'll beat him to it.

wilberfan

Alethia

jenkins

when Stuck came out it opened at the Nuart with Gordon there. i was rather new to LA and went feeling hyped. it was shocking to me that it didn't sell out. what also didn't sell out around this time was Tobe Hooper/Mick Garris doing live commentary for TCM at the Aero, Romero at the Nuart for Diary of the Dead, and Roger Corman at The New Bev for Ski Troop Attack, to provide perspective and illustrate why i don't trust the tastes of other people. RIP Gordon. From Beyond is my favorite and Space Truckers is my gotta mention that one

wilberfan

jenkins

it's where matt35mm and i first met. i mentioned to him, and had prepared for reading, that it's in the first line of Elmore Leonard's Be Cool

they weren't doing takeout so i was worried. it's a loss but even more frightening is what might happen to Greenblatt's. Swingers was a fixture but Greenblatt's is iconic. Canter's is doing takeouts

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on April 13, 2020, 12:10:01 AMit's where matt35mm and i first met.

"snuck a cigarette" -- I remember that post.

I never made it to Greenblatts, for whatever reason. Definitely spent several nights a week in Swingers' booths during the 2000s, though. Many a half-written screenplay was discussed there over burgers, diet cokes, and peanut butter banana shakes, and I generally associate the diner with the pre-YouTube/IG LA: a place I would go during an era when the city still felt like it had the dandruff of Old Hollywood on its shoulders.

jenkins

<3

there's that story about Refn thinking up Drive while Gosling drove him back from the 101 Coffee Shop, and probably a lot of other great 101 Coffee Shop stories, and the two Cafe 50s, Johnie's Coffee Shop being a basic movie invention, plus other diners here and gone, but Swingers was overall the most, well, as its name implies

wilberfan

OK, I'll chime-in.  Not Corona-related, but another profound death this week:  They completely demolished the Bing Theatre at LACMA.  (Other iconic surrounding buildings, too.)  My very first date(s) with a girl were for a Hitchcock Festival at the Bing.  One of his features every Thursday night for several weeks. (Probably 1973-ish.)  It was a revelation.  With the added bonus that Linda and I would make out in the car before driving her back to Highland Park. I also saw Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm with near Elizabeth Perkins a several decades later. We chatted in line while waiting to get tickets.  She drove herself home.