Watchmen (HBO)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 08, 2019, 12:41:40 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Created by Damon Lindelof

Coming Fall 2019

Jeremy Blackman

[video is gone]

This is a poorly-cut trailer IMO, but still looks very promising.

Drenk

Unfortunately, crowds at Comic Con would always react that way. The show might fail, but it will be interesting, no doubt.

I have to read Watchmen now...
Ascension.

Drenk

Promising pilot. A lot of grey areas.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I was honestly a bit underwhelmed. I think the direction or editing was a bit off. (Where's Mimi Leder?) But the content is definitely there. Excited to see where it goes.

WorldForgot

Very into it. Lindelof's script drops us into this modern iteration of WATCHMEN without much hand-holding. Meanwhile, the tone is held together tight by Reznor + Ross, channeling With-Teeth-era NIN along with some Carpenter.

If you want supplemental material to the 30-Year-Gap there are four official PDF docs so far.

Drenk

Good visual ideas and all. But it's very messy. The use of the soundtrack is often distracting. That's my kind of show, though. I hope the characters will feel less like ideas and more like human beings.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

I like that the show is engaging with "television" as a medium as much as the graphic novel did with comics. Its folklore is generative -- Tulsa Massacre Superman, Black Oklahoma. When life gets too real, watch Rated X television with your child.

Jeremy Blackman

I think it's very clear that I missed a lot in Episode 1, based on the things I barely caught in Episode 2. There are just so many little details building upon each other, and I fully expect that to continue. Great stuff.

I've tried out a few Watchmen podcasts, and the best ones by far are Bald Move's podcast (cleverly named "We Do") and Slashfilm Daily's coverage.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 28, 2019, 05:31:25 PM
Bald Move's podcast (cleverly named "We Do")

Great recommend. Liked their Bass Reeves info, and the scene-by-scene approach. Especially with the interrogation-pod scene, it helps to hear each element at a slower pace. Didn't remember the battery propaganda either. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
No sugar at Milk & Hanoi, so it's a hideaway for Sister Night, but is it more than that? Are Veidt and Doctor Manhattan racing to recreate something of the other's?

Gosh, I'm really into the way Lindelof structures story.

WorldForgot

Cool tidbits from the second full-length "We Do" episode:

, a masked, queer country artist is playing when Angela comes in to tell Topher that his "uncle" Judd's dead.

The man who is talking in the heritage/genealogy kiosk is Henry Louis Gates Jr.

There's a theory that supposes Doctor Manhattan has Ozymandias/Blonde Man in a Martian prison. A listener also supposes that Ozy'z anniversaries are literal, and that so far we've been watching his storyline through flashbacks. The second candle, the change in the watch.

Bass Reeves, irl, was hired for his martial prowess as well as knowing indigenous languages -- tying into the episode's eponymous painting.

Judd's grandfather, in the photo, Dixon T Crawford, is an inverse name of Thomas Dixon, not too far of a reach, even if it's only a trivial reference, considering the cloak.

And then, I'll offer up that researching Hong Chau's character name brings up some interesting history of its own.

Jeremy Blackman

Glad you like the podcast! Their coverage of Game of Thrones was similarly in-depth and insightful.

I personally believe the two Ozy sequences we've seen are a full year apart, and the cake is used to mark each year.

It probably would have taken a year for the play to be written and staged to the point we see it at in sequence 2, where it's not only happening, it's being refined. Some other things appear in sequence 2 that are also probably new, like the tomato tree (judging by his reaction).

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 30, 2019, 05:16:40 PM
Glad you like the podcast! Their coverage of Game of Thrones was similarly in-depth and insightful.

I personally believe the two Ozy sequences we've seen are a full year apart, and the cake is used to mark each year.

It probably would have taken a year for the play to be written and staged to the point we see it at in sequence 2, where it's not only happening, it's being refined. Some other things appear in sequence 2 that are also probably new, like the tomato tree (judging by his reaction).

LEFTOVERS and WATCHMEN spoilerz: ShowHide
Sequence because it's a sort of loop? Or because it's a fabricated reality?
Kinda rhetorical, because we have little to go off of, but if you have an instinct about it after seeing LOST and the Garveys, I trust that plenty.

When they brought up Kevin's multiple resurrections in the podcast it reminded me that, really, anything goes for these characters right now.
This show iz a lotta fun to chew into.

Drenk

There's an official podcast:
Ascension.