The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

SiliasRuby

'Cat People'

Its a B movie of the highest quality with character actors and people you wish you could see more of. Malcolm McDowell is at his menacing best and outrageously scary. It works in every nuance and every angle. Its rare that such a campy film can get under your skin just as much as makes you giggle here and there. It also shows some of beautiful new orleans when it was just a run down yet cultured city. I had a lot of fun watching this and it was nice to see Nastassha Kinski.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'Management'

A sweet comedy that's honest about needy love. One of Jennifer's better performances in recent years. We remember why we loved her so much in 'The Good Girl', what she can really do with her talent. Some people would find Steve Zahn's character creepy and I can understand that but I also know a couple of guys like 'Mike', who are so astounded by a woman that they can't even pretend to act normal. They're just blatantly weird about their attraction to you. Some of you might find this film forgettable but it really resonated for me.

Best Part IMO: Woody Harrelson as a ex punk rocker/enviormentialist

And yes the poster is horrendous.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'Beat the Devil'

This is a great parody/tribute to the film noir/thrillers that John Huston did in the 30's and 40's. They are all playing this straight which makes the dark comedy ingrained in the story all the more pleasureable. The plot summary according to IMDB which is a correct summary is as follows:

A quartet of international crooks -- Peterson, O'Hara, Ross and Ravello -- is stranded in Italy while their steamer is being repaired. With them are the Dannreuthers. The six are headed for Africa, presumably to sell vacuum cleaners but actually to buy land supposedly loaded with uranium. They are joined by others who apparently have similar designs.
Now, just by reading that you might think you won't laugh out loud but there are moments of blatant over-acting that rival the simplistic strong story penned by Truman Capote. Its not something I'm going to run out and purchase but if I see it for real cheap at a store sometime, I'll pick it up.

Recommended.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things'

Really well made and something that deliberately gets under your skin. This film could be a more demented cynical look at what could have happened if a young Courtney Love was still out of control fter Kurt's death and dealing with having a kid. Its un-nerving and possibly trying to be shocking just for shock's sake. Portions were really hard to take and as every moment passed and I wanted it to be over. Its really too well made to not feel like you should feel-detached from this film.

My Collection

matt35mm

Thanks for reminding me that I really want to see that.  Scarlet Diva (her film before this) was fucked up in the best way.  It seems like nobody's really making movies like Asia Argento is, and that's always a plus for me even if the result is, shall we say, not for everyone.

SiliasRuby

Easy Money

Nothing shining or really outstanding about this film but the performances which are top notch, although its really strange to see Kelsey Grammer with a fake nose. But man, the actors really knock it out of the park for such bad dialogue. I really enjoyed myself though.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'Stardust'

My film tastes are getting more aquired and while I liked it, the overall film fell flat to me and boring. It did not have any of the zip or charm that the 'princess bride' had, maybe I was shooting my sightes too high for that. It felt awkward that De Niro and Michelle were in this piece. I've also never been a big fan of fantasy. The only reason why I watched this is because it was on HBO tonight and I was half asleep. I'm fully awake now.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'The Killing Room'
A disturbing play on morality and what people will do to survive. It really could be done on stage because of its lack of set design and its minimalistic idea. Lovely performances all around but the premise is highly unlikely. (Of course it is.) It gets under your skin and into your head. Gives you questions about what you and your friends would do in the situation.

My Collection

Fernando

Le Samourai.

Z. first costa-gavras film i see and really liked it, and it won't ever age bad because there will always be somewhere in the world goverments covering their asses.

Amen. a holocaust theme film and it's pretty good, only this time it makes the catholic church look really bad, the least that bunch greedy fucks deserve.

SiliasRuby

Reds

An engrossing film filled with magnificient performances and powerful visions. It was very educational and I didn't miss a moment. There wasn't a place where the film lagged to me and it had me really understand a part of history most would just brush off and cast aside because of the subject manner.  :yabbse-thumbup:

My Collection

Pubrick

you know, i've always wanted to see that. i'm putting a note on my phone to get it this weekend cos i think i'll really like it.

everytime i'm at the video store i always forget to look for it.. i think my forgetfulness is representative of the general experience with a whole bunch of probably very good but forgotten films that feel the same way. for example another is The French Lieutenant's Wife. ALWAYS forget it but ALWAYS have wanted to see it., i may be wrong and these are two of the biggest turds i'll ever watch but i don't think so. there's so many amazing movies that aren't even that obscure and that were kinda big for a short while or at least widely critically acclaimed and that now even the critics have forgotten about.  

i think that's what groups these films together, they are all films that were only loved by critics and have now been forgotten by them. so all that remains is a vague impression that it was a movie everyone always meant to someday watch, and just never got around to it.

hahaha on the poster under the names i thought it said "it's a warren beatty film"
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

I didn't realize this thread existed. This is more or less a 'what you watched that doesn't fit into other categories' thread.

When Hollywood Video closed down I picked up Sleepaway Camp. I figured it was just going to be one of the 80's slasher films, just a fun dumb watch.

I had no idea about the ending........now that was crazy.

Anyone seen this film?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pas

lol@ it's a warren beaty film

about Sleepaway camp: haha here's a thought: renting this movie is one of the must pathetic act I can imagine. BUT buying it is alright. Strange. Anyway, I have a story about this film. Weirdly, in the course of my adventurous life, I have met people my age who talked about "some horror film they saw on TV as kids" that really creeped them out, it was in a summer camp etc...

BUT HERE'S THE TWIST: We were talking about the film and there was definitely an elephant in the room. Everybody seemed to want to talk about something but weren't sure. What was going on is that ALL of us (I'm talking 4 people here!) thought that we IMAGINED that ending. We lived our lives thinking, with deep repressed shame, that our minds had made up the twist of Sleepaway Camp. That it never happened, that we were just sick people.

How can that be?! All of our kid-brains refused the reality of that twist. It was stored in the same space we store old dreams. Maybe they tried to save our innocent minds....

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pas on May 21, 2010, 10:21:56 AM
about Sleepaway camp: haha here's a thought: renting this movie is one of the must pathetic act I can imagine. BUT buying it is alright. Strange.

i think movies were 6 for $10 at that time. it looked kinda interesting and like someone had purposefully hidden it in a weird section, which intrigued me more.

i'm wondering what i'm actually looking at at that last full body shot - the head doesn't look right - i don't know if it's a person wearing a made up mask - i'm guessing they wouldn't expose the underage girl to a nude male? i have no idea - the weird disjointiness of the way the person looks (and acts) makes it even weirder and creepier.

the title really makes no sense at all. have you seen any of the sequels? the commentary has the original writer/director talking about his first direct sequel and it looks like it's come out since then.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

there's like four of these movies. two sequels and a remake. The first three came in a box set that i bought my sister for her birthday a couple years ago. She's older so she used to subject me to these flicks when i was ten or so. Good job sis. 
Between sleepaway camp at 10 and the toxic avenger at 8 my sister really fucked me up.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche