Cannes 2004

Started by MacGuffin, February 20, 2004, 12:52:17 PM

SoNowThen

^^
Classic

Nah, it's not a logic I apply to anyone else, it's just on that particular day, in the particular way he acted, I just HATED everything to do with him instantly. The way he talked about his film, the way he looked, his political bent, all of it. Plus, later the next day I got in an arguement with this joker at the film co-op over this same issue. This guy thought he was gonna educate me on PTA, first off, then he started blasting Scorsese and praising Pedro. I thought, if these are Almodovar fans, I don't wanna join the club.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThen^^
Classic

Nah, it's not a logic I apply to anyone else, it's just on that particular day, in the particular way he acted, I just HATED everything to do with him instantly. The way he talked about his film, the way he looked, his political bent, all of it. Plus, later the next day I got in an arguement with this joker at the film co-op over this same issue. This guy thought he was gonna educate me on PTA, first off, then he started blasting Scorsese and praising Pedro. I thought, if these are Almodovar fans, I don't wanna join the club.

oh , c'mon...  don't be like that.
context, context, context.

cine

Classic
Quote from: Pubrickhaha there's nothing above u.

story of my life

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: godardianone of the few times I can unequivocally agree with Kael (Brian de Palma being my other notable Kael concurrence).

What did she say about DePalma?

godardian

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: godardianone of the few times I can unequivocally agree with Kael (Brian de Palma being my other notable Kael concurrence).

What did she say about DePalma?

She is a longtime adorer of his work and his style, which has an extremely unique and individualistic sort of humor and idiosyncracy, the kind that happens to be exactly up Kael's alley.

On Blow-Out: "I think De Palma has sprung to the place that Altman achieved with films such as McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Nashville and that Coppola reached with the two Godfather movies- that is, to the place where genre is transcended and what we're moved by is an artist's vision."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Classic

I have to say that if we were to judge directors by the way they look, we'd be very hard pressed. Most directors aren't really known for their looks, are they? I dunno... those all seem like poor reasons to me (how many annoying people like the same directors you like, and do the fans ever actually "represent" an artist or their work?) but then again, none of them bother me, so I guess it's subjective. Still, I'd like to hear what you think of his actual films. Since I'm assuming the "political bent" of Almodovar (I don't actually know much about it, though I'm sure I could make a good guess) is one a huge majority of the worldwide creative community shares, including any number of people you adore and worship, it just seems incongruous that you would single him out for such things.

Along these lines, I can honestly say that if someone I found truly and thoroughly despicable as a person- Mel Gibson, say- made worthwhile art, I would force myself to admit it (so in a way, it's kind of a blessing that Gibson is so dullsville and hamfisted as an actor and director). I still think "My Way" is a great song, even though Frank Sinatra became some asshole Reaganite Republican in his later life. I believe you should be able to acknowledge the singular qualities of Almodovar's work and why it's a highly anticipated Cannes showing, even if you don't care for him or even for his movies. How any movie lover could not be transfixed by Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown is beyond me, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

rustinglass

Quote from: SoNowThenGodard's new movie is showing.

So that, and the Wong Kar Wai, are all that matters.

Oh, come on! life is a miracle is the first kusturica film in 6 years, do you know how much that means to me?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

I saw what he did at the Golden Globes and I don't think  it was a big deal. He just said that at his Hotel, there was one of those cards that say "Do Not Disturb" and this one said "Peace, please." or something in that context,  and what  he said was that that pointed out his attention because - even that piece of paper was asking for peace. A lot of people clapped, no one booed. It was not as notorious as Michael Moore's incident.
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Yeah, fair enough, Kusturica can be on our list, too. He's cool.

:)

Anyway, for all that I said, I thought I clarified it with these two quotes:

"you will find this really ignorant, but I just can't help it"
and
"it's not a logic I apply to anyone else"

I didn't say they were particularly good reasons. But they are facts, nonetheless.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: godardian

I still think "My Way" is a great song, even though Frank Sinatra became some asshole Reaganite Republican in his later life. .

Wasn't that because he helped Kennedy out and when JFK became President he ceased contact with Sinatra so as not to be associated with the possible Mafia Sinatra connection.  He heard that Sinatra was pissed about this and decided to help out the republican party from then on.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: cronopio l'inrockuptibleI saw what he did at the Golden Globes and I don't think  it was a big deal. He just said that at his Hotel, there was one of those cards that say "Do Not Disturb" and this one said "Peace, please." or something in that context,  and what  he said was that that pointed out his attention because - even that piece of paper was asking for peace. A lot of people clapped, no one booed. It was not as notorious as Michael Moore's incident.

No, you're right, it wasn't notorious at all. As much as I think Moore is a joker, at least he has balls to start shit. Pedro just had this "please love me" tone that looked like he was trying so hard to be a cool artsy leftist. And that shit is putrid (to me).

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, fair enough, Kusturica can be on our list, too. He's cool.

:)

Anyway, for all that I said, I thought I clarified it with these two quotes:

"you will find this really ignorant, but I just can't help it"
and
"it's not a logic I apply to anyone else"

I didn't say they were particularly good reasons. But they are facts, nonetheless.

I guess it's my experience that you're a more serious thinker about film than that and that you would expect better reasons of yourself for dismissing or ignoring (or leaving off "the list") a widely and well regarded filmmaker whom many people who take cinema seriously find "important," whether or not you like him...  :(

Chest Rockwell

Have you seen any of his films, SoNowThen? If not, you should at least try them out.

godardian

Quote from: Chest RockwellHave you seen any of his films, SoNowThen? If not, you should at least try them out.

I wasn't going to go accusing anyone of disrespecting a director whose films they haven't even seen... so I'm assuming he has.

El Duderino

IFC Channel is doing a week of past Cannes favorites during the week of the festival, so watch for that...if you care.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?