the whole x-men united shpeel

Started by manvstrees, April 25, 2003, 12:02:46 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4di cant get any distance. any tips?

As told by Ricky Jay:
http://www.davidslife.com/funstuff/cards/technique.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cbrad4di cant get any distance. any tips?

As told by Ricky Jay:
http://www.davidslife.com/funstuff/cards/technique.htm

sweet.

Sleuth

yeah and how about colossus?  Everyone was cheering as soon as he turned steel
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

Quote from: i/oWhat was up with that time stopping nonsene? Did I miss something?
It's ridiculous and I guess that's kind of why they are good.

TIME didn't stop, everyone's mind did because Professor X can do that.  He can control just about anyone however he wants
I like to hug dogs

i/o

Quote from: tremolosloth
TIME didn't stop, everyone's mind did because Professor X can do that.  He can control just about anyone however he wants

Really? I must have missed that.  That just makes the movie seem more ridiculous to me.
"Mime is money"

Sleuth

How so?  You have to suspend your belief that Patrick Stewart does not in fact pilot a ship from the future while meeting hostile aliens, but in this movie he is one of the most powerful minds ever
I like to hug dogs

i/o

I don't know. I'm not a follower of the comics or anything, I just think that these super hero movies just invent things just because they can. There's explanation for it for a person that doesn't follow apparently.
For example:
There's the scene in the ship before they go into the dam. They somehow have the blue prints to the buliding. Why? I don't know. It's just because.
And then Brian Cox's character creates some thing to put on the professors head so that he can't use his mind powers, and we're just supposed to say "oh that makes sense".
Okay whatever...my point is that these movies don't find it important to tell people why this is this way. But I suppose most people enjoy them because there's not much to think about.

On a different note, I was quite suprised to see how much killing there was. If I'm not mistaken the first movie didn't have as much killing of minor characters.
"Mime is money"

Bud_Clay

Quote from: GhostboyMaybe they're trying to make it sound patriotic. Look what 'subtle' pro-America messages did for Anger Management's box office!

There was nothing patriotic about this film. In fact I'm a little surprised so many people that go to my theatre enjoyed the film. I guess people suddenly block out any hidden messages they might have otherwise received once they see mutants in the film. Great movie anyway.. very enjoyable

Sleuth

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
Quote from: GhostboyMaybe they're trying to make it sound patriotic. Look what 'subtle' pro-America messages did for Anger Management's box office!

There was nothing patriotic about this film. In fact I'm a little surprised so many people that go to my theatre enjoyed the film. I guess people suddenly block out any hidden messages they might have otherwise received once they see mutants in the film. Great movie anyway.. very enjoyable

Yes, people definitely blocked out any sort of message at my theater.  I could tell this because everyone was cheering whenever a mutant killed a human.  Also, at the end, when Patrick Stewart says the thing about evolution and whatnot, people were already leaving.   :?
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I loved the movie's politics. I don't want to make X2 sound like a serious statement about acceptance...but, well, it kinda is. But it's enough fun that most people won't pay any attention to that, as Bill Maplewood said.

Banky

im not trying to give anything away but the "thing" in the water should have burst out right as the credits come up

Film Student

Quote from: BankyEdwardsim not trying to give anything away but the "thing" in the water should have burst out right as the credits come up

*JUICY SPOILER THAT MADE P SAD*

Naw, its better to let all the uninitiated wonder until the next movie. I hope the Phoenix looks cool (sorry to everyone who hasn't seen the movie, but this IS an X-men thread... just for extra punishment, I'll go ahead and tell you: JEAN GREY DIES.)

:twisted:
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ghostboy

Well, now that we're venturing into SPOILER territory...

I'm really glad the ending with Dark Phoenix wasn't more overt. It's just a hint of what's to come. People who aren't familiar with the comics will see it as a sign that she's coming back to life, which of course she is...but they have no idea what she's coming back AS. Of course, if you know the history, you'll have seen it coming from the very beginning, since they drop clues pretty regularly throughout.  I can't wait for the next one! If they manage to work the Sentinels in too, it'll be even more incredible.

Wow, I almost sound like a fanboy!

Pubrick

Quote from: Film Student
Quote from: BankyEdwardsim not trying to give anything away but the "thing" in the water should have burst out right as the credits come up

Naw, its better to let all the uninitiated wonder until the next movie. I hope the Phoenix looks cool (sorry to everyone who hasn't seen the movie, but this IS an X-men thread... just for extra punishment, I'll go ahead and tell you: JEAN GREY DIES.)

:twisted:
even so, u should put a spoiler thing.

man that's fucked up. was it obvious? she was hot.
under the paving stones.

Film Student

I'm sorry.   Yes she is hot.  Until she dies.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter