The mysterious movie...Cheaters.... Anybody know?...

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, February 08, 2003, 11:18:32 AM

Thecowgoooesmooo

Ok, so months back, I was in my local theatre, and I saw this movie poster called, "Cheaters". It looked really interesting...

Cheaters follows a group of four friends as they lie, steal and cheat their way through an unjust school system. Handsome Davis (Fehrman) is the ring-leader and group strategist. Along with Sammy (Henson), Victor (Lawrence) and Applebee/the crib master (Starr), the guy who writes crazy small, these four avowed rebels have elevated cheating to an art-form. For them it has become an empowering act of vindication in the face of academic tyranny and the ever-looming specter of failing grades

Anyways, I never saw the trailer for the movie but I heard it was at theatres for a brief time. I did see the trailer online though... Now get this... I go to my video stores and I find a movie thats a new release, this movie is called "Cheaters". This movie is completely different though, from the movie that was never released! It's about...

Jeff Daniels plays a teacher in an inner city Chicago high school whose students get a chance to compete in an academic decathlon. When his students win against a better-funded school, Daniels is pleased as punch... until he finds out they cheated. The resulting media feeding frenzy and disgrace plunge the school into a dramatic reassessment of the situation. Based on a true story.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?!? I want to know what happened to the original cheaters movie. I was interested in that plot line, not this new shitty one. Also I need to find a original "Cheaters" movie poster... Anyone got any info on this mystery?

chris
[/i]

Gold Trumpet

Don't give the second one flack at all, its a very surprisingly good film. I wrote a lot about it in my thread on the director John Stockwell, in the director's thread. I don't know anything about the first one, and from what I read of it, nothing is very interesting about it as I think it takes an average story and contrives into an unbelievability only movies can bring and also, what they mostly suffer from.

~rougerum

sphinx

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooOk, so months back, I was in my local theatre, and I saw this movie poster called, "Cheaters". It looked really interesting...

Cheaters follows a group of four friends as they lie, steal and cheat their way through an unjust school system. Handsome Davis (Fehrman) is the ring-leader and group strategist. Along with Sammy (Henson), Victor (Lawrence) and Applebee/the crib master (Starr), the guy who writes crazy small, these four avowed rebels have elevated cheating to an art-form. For them it has become an empowering act of vindication in the face of academic tyranny and the ever-looming specter of failing grades[/i]

the movie you were referring to is called 'slackers', and was released last year.  it also stars jason schwartzman, and it looks like it sucked pretty badly...apparently they never had even a working title, and it was probably changed many times before it's release.

Duck Sauce

One time, I called the video store and asked them to hold on to a copy of Slacker, and when I got there they handed me Slackers.

MacGuffin

Sorry, sphinx.

The first one is:  
The second one is:

Quote from: Duck SauceOne time, I called the video store and asked them to hold on to a copy of Slacker, and when I got there they handed me Slackers.

INT. "MASTERPIECE VIDEO" STORE - AFTERNOON.

On a monitor, a generic trailer is playing.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
         Hello and welcome to Masterpiece
         video. How may I help you this
         afternoon, sir?

CUSTOMER
         I'm looking for a copy of 8 1/2.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
         Yessir! Is it a new release, sir?

CUSTOMER
         No, it's the classic Italian film.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
         Let me look that up on the computer
         for you, sir!
             (fiddles with computer)
         Yes, here it is - 9 1/2 WEEKS with
         Mickey Rourke. It's in our "Erotic
         Dramas" section.

CUSTOMER
         No, not "9 1/2", 8 1/2 , the
         Fellini film.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
         I'll check that for you sir. How do
         you spell the actor's name - F-I-L
         E-E-P-E-E...?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thecowgoooesmooo

Sphinx yo wrong, Slackers is completely different movie. I've seen it , it wasen't good... Anyone know what happened to the REAL first CHEATERS movie?

chrs

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooSphinx yo wrong, Slackers is completely different movie. I've seen it , it wasen't good... Anyone know what happened to the REAL first CHEATERS movie?

if that's true, why are the first two names in the description and the names of the characters in the 2002 movie almost identical?

Handsome Davis is the ring-leader and group strategist. Along with Sammy, Victor and Applebee/the crib master (Starr), the guy who writes crazy small...

Devon Sawa ....  Dave Goodman
Jason Segel ....  Sam Schechter

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0240900

edit: now looking at macguffin's post, that coincidence is pretty freaky.  :\

Duck Sauce

Mac, that is exactly what really did happen when I went to rent 8 1/2, only one store had it in my whole town.

sphinx

arghhh macguffin!  now no one will ever know the correct chronological order of these posts and insane edits!  in any case, we see the difference now and all is well.  but it's still pretty messed up.

MacGuffin

sphinx, the order is correct. I edited my first one just after posting. cow seemed to have ignored it though, hence the direct IMDB link.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Speaking of Slacker/Slackers
This is Linklater related as well:

First one

Crappier second one

not a remake... notice, the second is "SubUrbia"

Xixax

Didn't Eric Bogosian write the second one?

I've not seen the Corman movie. I've never been too into his junk. The Bogosian flick wasn't that bad, though.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

Quote from: XixaxDidn't Eric Bogosian write the second one?

I've not seen the Corman movie. I've never been too into his junk. The Bogosian flick wasn't that bad, though.

Well, Corman's Corman...
and yes, Bogosian wrote the second, Linklater directed... I thought it kinda sucked.