antony + the johnsons

Started by Pubrick, July 14, 2005, 12:40:52 PM

Pubrick

ok so here's how i learned who antony & the johnsons were, forgot, then remembered again.

first i saw this creepy video late at nite -- an ECU of a "dude" on a bed, shifting and turning.
i had come in late and couldn't catch the name, only the image and voice stuck in my head:

then this stuff was posted in Now Playing mid-June..

Quote from: Sigur
Anthony & the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Quote from: Pubrickdoes that sound like the cover looks? (creepy)
Quote from: meatwadthat is not the cover that i have. the cd i have has a picture of Candy Darling on it.
Quote from: bigpermFor the record, the cover with Candy Darling on it, is the latest Antony & the Johnsons album "I am a bird now", that came out this year.  The cover posted above, is for the album before it which is self-titled.

Concerning Anotny, his voice is quite unique, but IMO the albums grow tiresome after repeated listens. But as usual, listen for yourself.

If you are a fan, and don't know, seek out last year's Devandra Banhart compilation "Golden Apples in the Sun". Antony has a track there, called "The Lake", which I believe is an Edgar Allan Poe poem, anyway, if you like ANtony, don't miss it:

Pubrick edit: i have replaced bigperms broken image of "golden apples.." with The Lake EP
i was still not aware of the connection, or the coincidence of my "creepy" reactions.

finally, earlier this week, i'm over a friends place and he puts on a cd he thinks is awesome, "in particular the first track", he said. it was 'hope there's someone' and it all came full circle. i'm like "dude we saw the video for this months ago, remember the one that freaked u out?"

i immediately stole:

the awesome candy darling cover meatwad and bigperm were referring to.

now, i know i'm late, and if bigperm is right i prolly won't revisit this thread in a month. but the post is now too damn long for its original intended home of Now Playing, and it's becoming about sumthing else entirely. what i like most is that finally i feel like i've heard sumthing UNIQUE, not another indie rock outfit no one will remember in a year. and it always comes back to that.. my disappointment in 2005 (the images, the sounds, the ideas). i don't want to think i'm getting older and that's why everything sounds the same to me, that's weak sauce. i just need to find sumthing which, upon reflection, enlightens the direction of this decade; a blipping glimpse of the future; a 96/97 for the 2000s.

i'm not saying this is it, but i refuse to believe indie rock and all that crap is what's REALLY going on. u know?
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

wait, so which one is the one?
I like to hug dogs

Slick Shoes

I have been wanting to hear this. My interest was piqued when I read a magazine article about how he made Lou Reed cry.

Pubrick

Quote from: Sleuthwait, so which one is the one?
the last one.

or;

all of em.

or;

yep.

or;

i know some of u freaks read the whole thing, so reply already, sheesh!
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

I've since heard "I Am A Bird Now" and am convinced that that was the one with the one
I like to hug dogs

that song with devendra banhart is really good,  spiral i think it's called. and the one with rufus  would be better if it was longer :P
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pubrickbigperm is right
Quote from: bigpermthe albums grow tiresome after repeated listens.
under the paving stones.

onlyanactor

Quote from: Pubrickwhat i like most is that finally i feel like i've heard sumthing UNIQUE, not another indie rock outfit no one will remember in a year. and it always comes back to that.. my disappointment in 2005 (the images, the sounds, the ideas). i don't want to think i'm getting older and that's why everything sounds the same to me, that's weak sauce. i just need to find sumthing which, upon reflection, enlightens the direction of this decade; a blipping glimpse of the future; a 96/97 for the 2000s.

i'm not saying this is it, but i refuse to believe indie rock and all that crap is what's REALLY going on. u know?

i know exactly what you mean, but it's not that hard to find great artists out there.  if everything sounds the same to you its because very few people make their own music these days.  they're too caught up in their influences to make anything new.

antony and the johnsons... i gave them a listen on the website and they're just not anything special.  frank sinatra (not literally) with warbling vocals.  in fact, kind of boring.
only dead fingers talk in Braille... experimental/progressive/post-hardcore
P. Widdler and the Diddlers hip-hop side project

Pubrick

Quote from: onlyanactori know exactly what you mean, but it's not that hard to find great artists out there.  if everything sounds the same to you its because very few people make their own music these days.  they're too caught up in their influences to make anything new.

antony and the johnsons... i gave them a listen on the website and they're just not anything special.  frank sinatra (not literally) with warbling vocals.  in fact, kind of boring.
i'm inclined to agree with u. it was mostly the (lackluster) coincidences surrounding my discovery of this freak that motivated me to post. that and the opportunity to rant about the banging, twanging and generally boring crap passing for New/Interesting these days. if the sinatra comparison has any merit, i would at least give the "dude" credit for biting an era not yet driven so far into the ground that a chinaman is going "why is there a white boy with a 60s-haircut growing out of my rice paddy?"
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

oh shit p!...i didnt realize it until someone made a comment about lou reed crying..but the sings some shit off [of lou reed's] the raven..actaully a cover of 'perfect day'...i remembered b/c he has such a unique voice.....

meatwad

he sings "candy says" on lou's live album animal.

which is about candy darling, who is on the cover on antony's album

Ghostboy

This album (I Am A Bird Now) is so amazing as I listen to it right now that I really hope it doesn't get old for me.

his best song is definetely the one that bigperm mentioned, the lake, the poem by edgar a poe.  everyone get it!
context, context, context.

Reinhold

p, if you like this, do you listen to Rufus Wainwright?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ghostboy

It hasn't lost its lustre yet. In fact, I'm growing sort of obsessed - I just bought their first album yesterday (also beautiful, although less stark) and just got Buscemi's Animal Factory from Netflix, in which Antony apparently has a small scene in which he serenades the prison.

I Am A Bird Now is my favorite album of this year AND last year. And it's not Sinatra-ish at all - more Leonard Cohen, if anything.