Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Just tonight, there was a live chat held with Lee Kline who gave away some titles that will be released in the imminent future. Some that were already known, some that weren't. I wasn't there, but the list runs like this:

UGETSU (1954, Mizoguchi) (Lee Kline mentioned he's about to start work on it at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
F FOR FAKE (1973, Welles) (Lee Kline mentioned they're going to release it in 2004 at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
PANDORA'S BOX (1929, G. W. Pabst) "In the program for a screening with Gillian Anderson's score in 2003 - it said Criterion would be releasing a freshly restored version with the Anderson score in 2004". Confirmed by Lee Kline at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
THE LEOPARD (1963, Visconti) (Lee Kline mentioned he's done the transfer already (at HTF chat Feb 2004))
A WOMAN IS A WOMAN (1961, Godard) via Rialto (Lee Kline mentioned as definite at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT * (1955, Ingmar Bergman) (Lee Kline mentioned as definite at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
STRAY DOG (1949, Akira Kurosawa) (Lee Kline mentioned at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
TIN DRUM (1979, Schlondorff) (Lee Kline mentioned at HTF chat (Feb 2004))

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetJust tonight, there was a live chat held with Lee Kline who gave away some titles that will be released in the imminent future. Some that were already known, some that weren't. I wasn't there, but the list runs like this:

F FOR FAKE (1973, Welles) (Lee Kline mentioned they're going to release it in 2004 at HTF chat (Feb 2004))
THE LEOPARD (1963, Visconti) (Lee Kline mentioned he's done the transfer already (at HTF chat Feb 2004))
A WOMAN IS A WOMAN (1961, Godard) via Rialto (Lee Kline mentioned as definite at HTF chat (Feb 2004))

this is the sound of SoNowThen dancing
*pitterpatterpitterpatter pit pit pat*

Joy
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

More news from the Criterion chat......

First off, a link to the chat transcript: www.dvduell.de/_news_arch...n_chat.htm

The chat read was excellent, but to summarize some more news, expect a Max Ophuls film to be coming out in the near future (finally!) and an Alfred Hitchcock film as well. Cassavette's Shadows was discussed but nothing promised. Seven Samuari was confirmed to getting a rerelease sometime soon. Also, films for release this summer were confirmed and they follow as these:
Stray Dog, Tin Drum, Testament of Dr Mabuse, The Leopard, Mamma Roma, Smiles of a Summer Night, A Woman is a Woman

In a nice comment, Spike Lee spoke recently mentioned Criterion in regards to a future Malcom X dvd release:

"Question: It's strange to find you haven't done a commentary for Malcom X. After all, that's the movie you're most proud of...

Answer: We need to go back and do a nice package for that. I wanted to do a commentary but Warner Bros didn't wanna spend the money for the extra disc. The movie's three hours long so it would have to be two discs. Thanks for reminding me. It's a good idea. I'm gonna call those m***f***'s and say, "Come on, lets do the right thing and reissue." If they don't wanna do it, let Criterion do it..."

(Courtesy of Total Film in the UK [March 2004])

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetand an Alfred Hitchcock film as well.
:!:  :-D  :!:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe movie's three hours long so it would have to be two discs. Thanks for reminding me. It's a good idea. I'm gonna call those m***f***'s and say, "Come on, lets do the right thing and reissue." If they don't wanna do it, let Criterion do it..."

Hehehe, the more I hear Spike say, the more I love him.

One thing: do they have to always put 3hrs over two discs? I mean, there's not technology yet to get this onto one dvd?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe movie's three hours long so it would have to be two discs. Thanks for reminding me. It's a good idea. I'm gonna call those m***f***'s and say, "Come on, lets do the right thing and reissue." If they don't wanna do it, let Criterion do it..."

Hehehe, the more I hear Spike say, the more I love him.

One thing: do they have to always put 3hrs over two discs? I mean, there's not technology yet to get this onto one dvd?

Obviously there is, with Magnolia being the example. You just probably can't do 3 hours of movie PLUS extras on one disc, so if you want commentary 'n stuff, maybe you have to have the 2 discs for that...?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

yeah, i would assume 3 hours commentary would require a second disc. either that or you would compromise the quality of the transfer, so i'm learning.

i am not a fan of this double disc shit. (gangs of ny is really annoying, as is the extended edition LOTRs) maybe i'm just lazy though.

ono

There's a simple solution to all of this that the laziness inherent in humans will soon create: multiple-disc DVD players.  That is, if it hasn't already happened.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThat is, if it hasn't already happened.
And it has:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/category/type/2

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetand an Alfred Hitchcock film as well.
:!:  :-D  :!:

the likely candidate is an oldie: Blackmail

Gold Trumpet

SmellyBoobFungus

does anyone know how criterion gets all the extra footage on old 60's films, and how come the only criterion for kubrick is spartacus?
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected

Ravi

edison

Quote from: SmellyBoobFungusdoes anyone know how criterion gets all the extra footage on old 60's films, and how come the only criterion for kubrick is spartacus?

because they know how to do some great research

and because Spartacus was from Universal and Criterion had a deal with them and his other films are from WB and they (WB) dont license out their film to anyone.

SoNowThen

Criterion website just got all the May updates:

Tin Drum
Testament of Dr Mabuse
Smiles Of A Summer Night
The Leopard (3 discs!!)
Stray Dog