is Kill Bill racist?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, October 16, 2003, 10:34:25 AM

Jeremy Blackman

I don't think so, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16964

(SOME SPOILERS)

When you think of the resounding flop of Jackie Brown – the film Quentin Tarantino made after his 1994 Pulp Fiction changed contemporary movie history – it's no wonder he offs Vivica A. Fox early in his new movie, Kill Bill: Vol. 1. He wasn't about to repeat the mistake of asking mainstream movie audiences to take a black person's emotional life seriously.

Vivica A. Fox's character Vernita Green (a.k.a. Copperhead) may return in Kill Bill, Vol. 2 (to be released next Spring) courtesy of the film's fractured time scheme. But for now she is a typical example of Hollywood cannon fodder. It's another bait-and-switch role, used to lure black filmgoers to a movie and then be conveniently dispatched to appease white racist distaste. Vernita is a member of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad (or DiVAS), a group of hit-women working for the film's shadowy title character Bill, a pimp figure. Although Kill Bill shows how one diva, The Bride (Uma Thurman), seeks revenge on Bill by first hunting down and killing her sister divas, this movie is no more an examination of patriarchy than was the Hughes Brothers' noxious American Pimp. Tarantino, always in trivia-mode, simply creates his own Charlie's Angels but ups the pop references and intensifies the violence quotient. Vernita's death is not taken seriously, but then Tarantino takes nothing seriously besides his adolescent fascination with the low end of popular culture.

Tarantino is the first white filmmaker to forge a career based on disreputable, underclass taste – the movie culture that black urban youth were raised on and affectionately viewed as their own. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill owe their inspiration to '70s blaxploitation movies – a Hollywood trend that catered to the domestic fragmentation that occurred in America after '60s political dissent, responding specifically to the social conflagrations of riots and rebellions that shifted the tax base and demographic make up of most U.S. cities. (Abandoned urban movie houses were blighted, left to feature the kind of trash-product that had been the traditional fare of drive-ins.) Blaxploitation anticipated a lasting cultural fragmentation. The pop audience that the '60s seemed to unite became newly segregated into distinct racial and generational enclaves. The young folk who grew up on blaxploitation (and who would innovate hip hop culture) withdrew into disaffected sub-cults – claiming grade Z action movies, even the cheaply made and hastily dubbed kung-fu imports, as aesthetic ideals divorced of any social or ideological thinking.

Young, white Tarantino witnessed and participated in these changes. As a new era's hipster, Tarantino embarked upon a different kind of white flight. He gravitated toward sleazy black pop but without acquiring any political identification. He could reject the traditional, bourgeois film content and claim a timely, original approach: His films emphasized the pleasure of pop without moral conscience, yet were rife with racially tinged violence. Blaxploitation was thereby reborn as something postmodern – a white-identified entertainment form that took lack of social progress for granted and celebrated the post-80s tenets of greed and narcissism.

This was coincidental with hip hop's dubious achievement of "nigga," unearthing former opprobrium and transforming it into publicly accepted address. Tarantino, in his own way, affected a similar transformation, appealing to the public's unaddressed racial anxiety and seeming to relieve it through ruthless evocations of racism and hostility. That was the novelty of his early '90s screenplays that incorporated vicious, racist utterances into slangy, kitsch-obsessed dialogue (in Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Pulp Fiction the various "nigger" references were clearly hostile, not salutary). Tarantino's irresponsible comic lingo matched the blithe way he dramatized brutality devoid of purpose.

It's no coincidence that Pulp Fiction made a star of Samuel L. Jackson, who embodied Tarantino's devolution of blaxploitation heroism (a prototype that was always community conscious) as a figure of single-minded, craven, remorselessness. Tarantino's regard for blaxploitation – like his passion for Japanese animation and Hong Kong action flicks – is a simple matter of white appropriation. Kill Bill has the most panache (and the biggest budget) of any grade-Z action flick ever made. But it is a questionable triumph. All it demonstrates is the tendency for dominant culture (Hollywood, America, white supremacy) to co-opt the styles and implied needs of subcultures, deracinate them and then produce something spectacularly conceited.

Kill Bill may be mindless, but it is not meaningless. Tarantino's move away from the concerns of blaxploitation – and the black female heroine of Jackie Brown with Thurman's blonde valkyrie – reveals his true allegiance. He's not a black filmmaker the way some have claimed Bill Clinton was a "black" president. Tarantino has simply hoovered-up all the same pop trivia that had been consigned to the poor, urban class and serves it back as a demonstration of the success and approbation that can be had simply by forsaking such issues as social inequality, historically-determined class roles, genuine spirituality and injustice. Consider: He is exactly like a black teenager watching Shaft, Three the Hard Way or The Chinese Connection, unconcerned with how movies portray substantive human dilemmas except that he's now 45 years old, free of the social traps that beset unenlightened, underprivileged black youth and shows no particular connection to the one black female figure in Kill Bill.

Vernita Green's death is as startling and outrageous as all the others in Kill Bill, the first step in the film's supposedly humorous series of slaughters. Tarantino stages Vernita's murder in her own home, after she and The Bride have demolished the living room in a brawl. It's kind of witty but also not. The juxtaposition of domesticity and surreal violence only leads to a vicious shocker: Vernita's daughter arrives home from grade school in time to watch her mother nailed to the kitchen cabinet by a knife. It takes a near-idiotic mentality to detach this scene from its sociological and psychological horror and then laugh. Movie-nerd Tarantino goes for shock, but he also aims for pain. His penchant for pop effects does not erase the fact that this is a black woman butchered by a white woman. The basic elements of the scene are part of its message, crucial to its effect. Disregarding motherhood, family, class and race tension conveys no lesson, it only exacerbates.

There's not enough back story to Vernita and The Bride's relationship to make up for Tarantino's apparent indifference. As with the Jackson-Travolta pairing in Pulp Fiction, Tarantino is incapable of portraying realistic black/white relationships; he retreats into his own screwy blaxploitation fantasy. Vernita's death in Kill Bill is another heartless narrative furbelow in a storyline and movie that, in the end, simply continues Hollywood's white-supremacist conventions.

SoNowThen

I think it's the racist-ist movie ever, and I plan on picketing every screening and getting them cancelled. QT is the most evil man alive, and must be destroyed.

Oh, also, I haven't seen the film yet...
:roll:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

dufresne

QuoteAs with the Jackson-Travolta pairing in Pulp Fiction, Tarantino is incapable of portraying realistic black/white relationships[/size]

um...i though their relationship was very realistic.  

and to call QT a black teenager is racist!
There are shadows in life, baby.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: dufresne
QuoteAs with the Jackson-Travolta pairing in Pulp Fiction, Tarantino is incapable of portraying realistic black/white relationships[/size]

um...i though their relationship was very realistic.  

and to call QT a black teenager is racist!

OH, I see......a realistic relationship would've been them fighting constantly and really letting the audience know how different they are from each other...
This article is fucking ridiculous.  
Since the rolling eyes emoticon has already been used, my puking from this article will have to suffice:
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

abuck1220

i don't get why everyone talks about tarantino and his "pop culture" references. i consider pop culture to be stuff like joe millionaire, britney spears, friends...crap like that. if you think game of death is current popular culture, then i guess he references pop culture...otherwise i think it's a lame cop out to describe his stuff.

oh yeah, that article blows.

QuoteIt's kind of witty but also not.

wha???

Ravi

Quote from: abuck1220i don't get why everyone talks about tarantino and his "pop culture" references. i consider pop culture to be stuff like joe millionaire, britney spears, friends...crap like that. if you think game of death is current popular culture, then i guess he references pop culture...otherwise i think it's a lame cop out to describe his stuff.

It's the pop culture Tarantino liked when he was growing up.

So just because a black person was killed means Tarantino is racist?  Vivica Fox was not the only person, to be killed in the film.  Perhaps more backstory will be established in Volume 2.

Quote from: the guy who wrote the articleVernita's death is not taken seriously, but then Tarantino takes nothing seriously besides his adolescent fascination with the low end of popular culture.

Every film can't be a socio-eco-political essay.  Tarantino obviously isn't making a gritty, realistic film about the plight of a girl whose mother was killed.  This guy is nuts.  Nobody's death is taken seriously in this film.

modage

"young, white Tarantino".   let me guess, whoever wrote this article is NOT white?  first of all, he's fucking 40! is that young? secondly, Vivica dies first in the running time, but she's not the first to die chronologically.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

abuck1220

Quote from: themodernage02"young, white Tarantino".   let me guess, whoever wrote this article is NOT white?  first of all, he's fucking 40! is that young? secondly, Vivica dies first in the running time, but she's not the first to die chronologically.

it's quite possible that her death happened that way (second chronologically, first in the movie) as a nod to the "black guy always dies first" tradition in horror movies.

Gamblour.

QuoteHe wasn't about to repeat the mistake of asking mainstream movie audiences to take a black person's emotional life seriously.

Umm...wouldn't you say that Sam Jackson is the main protagonist in Pulp Fiction? Jackie Brown wasn't his first black main character.
WWPTAD?

Sleuth

I don't think Vernita's death was funny at all, I thought it was kind of fucked up that 1) it happened 2) it happened with her kid in the other room 3) her kid ended up seeing it anyway

Did anyone find that funny?  I mean, a lot of the death parts were funny, but a few of them weren't, that being one of them.
I like to hug dogs

Raikus

Of course Tarantino is racist! Didn't you all see the same Kill Bill I did?!

He hates the Asians. I mean, he must, right? Just after the African Americans and Rednecks. I mean, because his White Devil, Uma, offed the black lady first (not to mention the organ player is dead from the beginning) and then killed the fun loving Buck and his friend...

But then... then... he had his white devil kill 89 ASIAN people! 89! Y'know, because she let the one kid go, killed the 88's leader and then the school girl and the boss.

WHO WERE ALL ASIAN.

So in summary, QUENTIN HATES THE CHINAMEN!

And the African Americans and Rednecks. Just not as much.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

QuoteTarantino takes nothing seriously besides his adolescent fascination with the low end of popular culture.

Tarantino is the first white filmmaker to forge a career based on disreputable, underclass taste – the movie culture that black urban youth were raised on and affectionately viewed as their own. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill owe their inspiration to '70s blaxploitation movies – a Hollywood trend that catered to the domestic fragmentation that occurred in America after '60s political dissent, responding specifically to the social conflagrations of riots and rebellions that shifted the tax base and demographic make up of most U.S. cities. (Abandoned urban movie houses were blighted, left to feature the kind of trash-product that had been the traditional fare of drive-ins.) Blaxploitation anticipated a lasting cultural fragmentation. The pop audience that the '60s seemed to unite became newly segregated into distinct racial and generational enclaves. The young folk who grew up on blaxploitation (and who would innovate hip hop culture) withdrew into disaffected sub-cults – claiming grade Z action movies, even the cheaply made and hastily dubbed kung-fu imports, as aesthetic ideals divorced of any social or ideological thinking.

Young, white Tarantino witnessed and participated in these changes.

Well, I don't think the film was racist, and I have a problem with much of what this writer is saying.

"Pop culture" is the term we use to describe "mass culture;" culture ready to be consumed by you and I. Unlike an original painting or a first edition, a movie ticket or DVD or magazine purchase is within the reach of most of us. How obscure or how popular, how old or how new, doesn't really figure into it in a significant way.

Certainly, there is a "low end," but something of value can be found even in much of that.

I think what this writer has a problem with is the potential rudeness and trashiness (or the vitality, as it can be thought of in some cases) of pop culture, which would be a much more valid thing to write about than the supposed racism of Quentin Tarantino.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

evidently, a racist who likes to blend in with the enemy...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

well the writer just took the movie out of its context.  he kept on emphasizing on how a pretty white woman killed a black mother in front of her child and the death is celebrated because it's a surreal grade-z movie...etc. etc.  But it was a REVENGE scene!  The woman killed Uma and her family (and Uma assumed her baby) that's why she did it.
I think QT pissed off some people with his earlier movies like Pulp and Resevoir Dogs because he felt this incredible need to be "down", it was kinda stupid, but innocent.  I don't think Kill Bill was like that though.  He's all grown up now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton