Layer Cake

Started by diggler, October 02, 2004, 12:39:48 PM

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Weak2ndAct

So, yeah, I just saw this, blind bought the R2 dvd.  It's pretty good, a great debut for Matthew Vaughn (I had my reservations), a very polished, well-made gangster flick.  

Daniel Craig plays XXXX (no relation to xXx, just a charcacter sans name), a cocaine dealer in London, slowly building his nest egg so he can retire young.  XXXX is a smooth, smart, and calculating, but at the behest of his boss, he must perform for two difficult tasks: find another gangster's missing daughter, and make a deal for some stolen drugs (and the original owners aren't pleased).  Of course, everything goes to shit.  

This no Guy Ritchie movie.  The movie is straightforward drama, hardly any humor.  And surprisingly, really not that violent, save for a couple scenes.  Good performances all around-- especially from Daniel Craig, who owns the flick.  My only gripes reside from some overtly complicated plot mechanics later on, but Craig's performance and a nifty ending keep things from drifting away.  Recommended.

modage

i agree with weak, except i'd say it seemed like a sort of 'more mature' (duller) guy ritchie movie.  but i liked it.  i thought it would be hard for me to put the image of craig as that weasly sunuvabitch from road to perdition out of my mind, cause he will forever be that guy to me, but he was good in this.  some of the soundtrack was a little oddly placed or maybe it was just a strange mix, but mostly good songs so who cares i guess.  the ending was also a little rushed or maybe didnt play quite right, SPOILERS MAJOR think clerks before they lopped off the last 30 seconds END SPOILERS MAJOR my only complaint was that sienna miller was the hottest chick on earth, of all time.  i guess that's not really a complaint.  B-

the poster is terrible.  the movie is good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

your review doesn't tell me... why the minus?

modage

it was well done but, something you have seen before and not anything i found in this version that made it really stand apart.  if you like these kinds of movies you will like this, but i dont feel it really left its mark on this crime genre with something original.  and certain bits that could've been developed more, like the girl character and certain other relationships that could've been given more depth.  its probably in my top 5 (so far) for this year but it still has a little bit of sundance on it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: themodernage02certain bits that could've been developed more, like the girl character

you just wanted to see more sienna.

like myself
context, context, context.

modage

i think i'm going to rent alfie.

edit: OH MY GOD.  she is exactly one month younger than me.  but looks like she could be 10 years older.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: themodernage02
edit: OH MY GOD.  she is exactly one month younger than me.  but looks like she could be 10 years older.
Is that a good or a bad thing?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

lamas

noone actually calls Craig's character "Quad X" or "exexexex" during the film do they?

modage

no, his name was never mentioned.