Silent Hill

Started by diggler, September 20, 2004, 12:18:29 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: noyes on December 28, 2005, 09:46:58 AM
jesus, that screenshot is fuckin' spot on.
i could be wrong, but i think it's a publicity still. the real film may not contain that shot as we see it.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Brazoliange on December 23, 2005, 01:34:23 PM
http://www.meantimeprod.com/short_films/silent_hill_movie.html

amusing (horrible), but a different Silent Hill

Sony looks like they're doing a good job.

I was just talking about Silent Hill recently. This trailer looks hilarious, I don't even need to see that short film.  "You sure you wanna jump down that hole?" "Hell yeah."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

I don't think they ever made a complete film, did they?  It was like one of those fan trailers where they just made the one trailer.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Brazoliange

New trailer

Pyramid head looks fucking amazing. Taking original music from SH2 and putting it directly in is perfect. This just jumped to my most anticipated movie of 2006.
Long live the New Flesh

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

hedwig

MacGuffin

Silent Hill Poster Contest Winner
Winning design unveiled.

TriStar Pictures has announced the winner of its online competition to design the poster for the studio's game-to-film adaptation, Silent Hill. Chuck Waite of El Cerrito, California has been named the winner, and will receive a cash prize of $2500.

Waite's design received over 32,000 votes during the final voting period.

Participants in the contest, mainly fans and amateur artists, were able to download creative elements from the film in order to create their own Silent Hill posters. More than 185,000 fans cast their votes for one of 2050 poster designs submitted during the first phase of the competition.

The five finalists were revealed on Jan. 22 with fans voting online for the winner.

Silent Hill opens in theaters nationwide April 21. The film stars Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean. It was directed by Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf) from a screenplay by Roger Avary (Pulp Fiction).

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

McfLy

Pyramid Head looks really good. They really nailed the visual style of the game this movie is based on. Here's hoping the story is up to par.

MacGuffin

Scribe Avary game for 'Hill' adaptation
By John Gaudiosi; Hollywood Reporter

Roger Avary, best known as the writer of "Pulp Fiction," has been an avid video gamer all of his life. So he was more than ready when he received a call from "Brotherhood of the Wolf" director Christophe Gans asking whether he'd help translate Konami's "Silent Hill" from game to film.

"Christophe and I knew how passionate the video game fans are for 'Silent Hill,' " Avary says. "At the minimum, we didn't want to piss them off. We wanted to make this movie for them. They're the canaries in the coal mine."

The project also is evidence of a demographic shift that means game creators are having a more direct impact on Hollywood scribes, he says.

"Hollywood writers are getting younger," Avary says. "The old-timers who don't play games are writing less and less of movies of this sort. There are more younger people who grew up with gaming getting opportunities in Hollywood today."

"Silent Hill" marks the first time that Avary has been able to immerse himself in a video game franchise that he fell in love with years ago. He remembers that when he and Gans first discussed "Silent Hill," they knew that they wanted to approach it as gamers who wanted to be as true to the spirit and detail in the adaptation as possible.

The two creators spent several months in France playing through all four games of the franchise. "I hadn't played 'Silent Hill' for years," Avary says. "Your first reaction is the graphics have really gotten better since then. But then once you give yourself to the game, you fall into it just as well. In some ways, less detail gives you greater empathy for the character that becomes your avatar while playing."

Avary says that all too often, Hollywood producers get the rights to a video game and then look to reach a larger audience by going beyond its universe.

"Hollywood executives are very quick to want to throw out the source material of a game," he says.

" 'Doom' kills me. That was one of the movies I wanted to do so badly. I met with them early, on and I looked at the original script and asked, where's the 'Doom' in this?"

Avary recently was asked to work on the "Darkwatch" movie script, based on the Capcom vampire Western game of which he is a fan, but his schedule interfered.

His early interest in video games originally took him down a different path. Avary began playing games in the late 1970s and built his first computer from a kit -- a Rockwell KIM-1 -- and started his professional life as a programr for the Atari 800.

Even though he left the programming path for Hollywood, he never gave up his roots. Avary collects and restores such Atari Vector coin-operated machines as "Asteroids," "Space Duel," "Tempest" and "Battle Zone." He also spends hours playing PlayStation 2 games like "Driver: Parallel Lines" from beginning to end.

"In many ways, gaming has not changed much since the Atari 2600," he says. "It's still just polygons and fields and things bouncing into each other."

In other ways, of course, the changes have been dramatic. The impressive experiences made possible by next-generation graphics and sound have increased the costs of making games with the larger teams and more expensive technology they require.

"The thing to watch out for, when costs get high, suddenly you see less and less innovation occurring and more repetition of tried and true ideas," Avary says. This is evident in movies, he says, with big-budget Hollywood films lowering the odds of original stories making it to the big screen. There already are those in the game-development industry who have complained about the lack of interest game publishers show to original game ideas for next-generation consoles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

squints

Quote from: McfLy on March 15, 2006, 03:56:41 PM
Here's hoping the story is up to par.

Ebert doesn't seem to think so...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/REVIEWS/60421001

QuoteNot only can I not describe the plot of this movie, but I have a feeling the last scene reverses half of what I thought I knew (or didn't know).
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on April 21, 2006, 11:45:01 AM
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/REVIEWS/60421001

QuoteNot only can I not describe the plot of this movie, but I have a feeling the last scene reverses half of what I thought I knew (or didn't know).
sounds like mully drive.
under the paving stones.

McfLy

ShanghaiOrange

Honestly this is a must see. There's some amazing imagery in this, amazing sense of dread, amazing tone. Definitely a big screen movie. Ebert is right that the movie is weighed down by shitty exposition and bad dialogue but it doesn't sink it, I think.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***