George Carlin Enters Rehab

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, December 27, 2004, 02:11:51 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041227/people_nm/people_carlin_dc

Comedian George Carlin Enters Rehab Program

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, who became a counter-culture hero in the 1970s with routines about drugs and dirty words, said on Monday he was voluntarily entering a drug and alcohol treatment program.

"I'm going into rehab because I use too much wine and Vicodin," Carlin, 67, whose latest book "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" is a current national bestseller, said in a statement. "No one told me I needed this; I recognized the problem and took the step myself."

The announcement came weeks after the veteran stand-up comic caused a stir at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas with a performance that questioned the intellect of people who visit the resort city.

According to media accounts of the incident, Carlin's bit about "moronic" Vegas tourists touched off a bitter, profane exchange with members of the audience, including one woman who shouted "Stop degrading us."

Carlin has acknowledged having battled cocaine addiction in the 1980s but said he quit on his own by tapering off the drug. He also has suffered three heart attacks.

Speaking of his current problem, he said: "My levels of use are nowhere near the worst you hear about these days; I could easily have continued functioning at a good level ... for awhile. But my use would have progressed, I would have been in deeper trouble, and I didn't want to tolerate that."

Carlin's spokesman, Jeff Abraham, said the comedian entered rehab on Monday but did not know how long he would remain in treatment. He said Carlin was currently scheduled to begin a new engagement at Stardust Hotel in Vegas in February.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

pete

that dude hasn't been funny since 79.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

GodDamnImDaMan

Holly Shit! Rufus is a drugie?!?!

How will Bill and Ted complete their most excellent adventure through time?
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: petethat dude hasn't been funny since 79.

I can understand elitism, but in this case you are completely wrong, my friend.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Myxo

George Carlin is hilarious but I'm not surprised to see him in rehab, honestly.

pete

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: petethat dude hasn't been funny since 79.

I can understand elitism, but in this case you are completely wrong, my friend.

no way dude, not elitism.  not-laughingism.
- Buster Keaton

Neil

Pete, even though i agree with you in that George Carlin was hilarious up until 79', that never stopped in my opinion, and this could be the root of all our disagreements
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Yeah, Pete's dead, Neil... not cool.

Pas

Neil

wait a second. did they bury his jokes with him?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

No, but they buried this thread four and a half years ago, until you went all Pet Sematary on it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

- Buster Keaton