Lynch's Music (Crazy Clown Time etc.)

Started by modage, December 09, 2010, 03:29:08 PM

Pubrick

have you ever NOT completely loved something by david lynch?

even i can admit that clockwork orange is not perfect.

i still worship my deity, but you know, it's ok to see flaws now and then.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Dune is horrible.

Eraserhead is tedious.

The Elephant Man doesn't do much for me.

RegularKarate

Jeremy Blackman

I really don't expect people to like this album generally. I can imagine that if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you violently.

I'd still be curious to know which songs you hate the most.

Sure there are tracks like "Crazy Clown Time" or "Strange And Unproductive Thinking" (my two favorites at this point), but many of the tracks are very straightforward guitar and bass songs, pretty much right off the Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive soundtracks (leaning closer to Mulholland Drive).

ElPandaRoyal

I agree that Lynch's voice is kind of an aquired taste, but I think the whole album is very interesting. Sounds very Mulholland Drive-ish, some of the song are hilarious, some are very dark, and Pinky's Dream is, to me, one of the best songs of the year.
Si

wilder

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Jeremy Blackman

OMG  :yabbse-thumbup: :bravo:

I love the literalism. And the added sound design.

tpfkabi

I just pre-ordered this. Looks amazing. $25 + shipping.

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/david_lynchs_eraserhead_soundtrack_gets_the_vinyl_treatment/

On August 7 Sacred Bones (home to David Lynch-friendly artist Zola Jesus) will release a deluxe vinyl version of the Eraserhead soundtrack. Limited to a run of 1500, the deluxe album will include will feature a 16-page booklet, three 11-inch prints, and 7-inch single of previously unreleased cut, "Pete's Boogie."
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Music: David Lynch Presents New Muse Chrysta Bell in L.A.
Source: Rolling Stone

Though David Lynch last released a feature film in 2006, the acclaimed director of Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. hasn't exactly been quiet. He's embarked on a long season of musical experimentation, from his own Crazy Clown Time album to organizing a series of concerts in support of his foundation for transcendental meditation. Last night Lynch hosted a "coming out party" in Los Angeles for a new collaborator, singer Chrysta Bell.

Standing onstage at the Bootleg Theatre in downtown L.A., Lynch smiled as he introduced the tall, redheaded torch singer. "This is going to be a great night for me, because I love Chrysta Bell," he declared to cheers. "Chrysta Bell is round and fully packed. Sometimes people dream, or sometimes people walk down the street and wonder: What is that shape? What is that sound?"

What followed were songs that were at times dreamy and torrid, smoky and tortured, drawn mostly from Bell's solo debut, This Train, which Lynch produced. Standing on studded stiletto heels, Bell began her hour-long set with a brooding "Real Love," performed with grinding finesse by her trio. Before "Friday Night Fly" and a lovesick "Be Bop A Lula," she stripped off her skirt and slowly shimmied behind the microphone, singing in a voice soft, soaring and wounded.

Bell and her band played to a full house of about 500. Standing among the crowd was David J, formerly of Bauhaus and Love and Rockets, who came after hearing the album. "I love what she does, especially at midnight. That's when it all makes sense," he says. "She's truly strange and otherworldly and occupies this parallel universe. It's a dream world that's real."

The Bootleg show was part of an achingly slow roll-out of Bell as a solo artist, following the self-release of her album in late 2011. Aside from a short tour of Europe, a showcase performance at SXSW in March and a handful of other stops, her live performances of the Lynch material are only beginning.

The genesis of This Train stretches back a decade, from the first time the singer visited Lynch at his home recording studio in Hollywood. They wrote and recorded their first song that day, "Right Down to You," which appears on the album.

"When I went to David's place, he opened the door and he had his arms out, and he gave me a hug and said, 'Chrysta Bell!'" she recalled. "He gave me so much love in that first moment."

Lynch built his home studio more than a decade ago to create music and sound for his films. "It's really good when the people are all there all together. It's the best," said Lynch, sitting with Bell backstage after her set. He wore a black suit over a crisp white shirt, his gray hair combed back into thick wave. "I'm a director. The actor has got to be able to deliver. It is so much the same thing. It's an idea, it's a mood, and you want to communicate that. Once you click into that" – he snaps his fingers – "then they take it."

But the San Antonio-born Bell remained based in Texas most of the years since meeting Lynch, so their collaborations were sporadic. It took a full decade to complete the album. She now lives in San Francisco.

Describing the sessions, Bell said, "I'm feeling this track, and I'm feeling in the moment and singing, and David's going, 'Yes, yes.' . . . There's this dance that happens. I let the music speak to me because it always does. That's ingrained. I feel it."

Bell said Lynch's influence on her actually began while she was a child, seeing Twin Peaks on TV and hearing the director's haunted collaborations with composer Angelo Badalamenti. "It was the theme song from Twin Peaks that literally opened me up to a new realm of what music was in my life," she said backstage. "It made me viscerally feel things. It felt absolutely right."

Lynch is hardly new to making music. He calls longtime soundtrack collaborator Badalamenti "my brother," adding that "he brought me into the world of music." Lynch's film work has also brought him into direct collaborations with artists ranging from Roy Orbison to Trent Reznor.

"I always say I'm not a musician," Lynch explained. "But it's so much like actors. It's a feel and a communication, and sometimes you hit gold."

Last year's Crazy Clown Time is being reissued in an expanded edition online on Tuesday, the same day the Eraserhead soundtrack is being released in an elaborate limited edition with previously unreleased material. While music and painting continue to occupy him, Lynch hasn't yet found his next movie project. He's waiting for the right idea.

"It's a process," he said. "I always say it's like fishing. Little fish are swimming in. Some of them I love, but I need the big unifying fish, and it hasn't swum in yet."

Lynch said had not heard of the Pittsburgh-based tribute band to his and Badalamenti's many music projects together, but he was intrigued by their choice of band name – Silencio, a word lifted from his 2001 film Mulholland Dr.

'There's something about the word 'silencio.' It's a beautiful, beautiful word for human beings," he said, relating it to last night's performance. "This thing of infinite silence coupled with infinite dynamism is what this whole show is about."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Lynch Teases Possible New Music Release With 43-Second Video

A short video took over the website of the David Lynch Music Company (davidlynch.com). The 43-second clip was uploaded to David Lynch's YouTube channel managed by Sunday Best, the UK label that released Crazy Clown Time in Europe back in 2011.

The short clip, titled TBD716, looks like a flip book's pages being turned, revealing an animated electrical shock hazard sign.

What does the title stand for? To be determind? Test by David? To be destroyed? To be decided? To be dated?

And is 716 a release date of a new song? Perhaps July 16 2013?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tortuga

But of course! David Lynch is Boards of Canada. Everything suddenly makes sense.

MacGuffin

David Lynch Announces New Album The Big Dream, Shares Track Featuring Lykke Li
Source: Pitchfork

Legendary director and musician David Lynch is readying his second solo LP following 2011's Crazy Clown Time. The album is called The Big Dream, and it's out July 15 in Europe via Sunday Best and July 16 in the U.S. via Sacred Bones. If you're a Spotify user, you can stream a bonus cut from the album, "I'm Waiting Here" featuring Lykke Li.

Update: You can preview 90 second clips of all of the tracks on the album via iTunes now.

The Big Dream features 11 original songs, plus a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Ballad of Hollis Brown". In a press release, Lynch described the music of the album as "modern blues" and said, "Most of the songs start out as a type of blues jam and then we go sideways from there. What comes out is a hybrid, modernized form of low-down blues."

The vinyl edition of the album will come with a bonus 7", which will feature the Lykke Li track on the A-side and an etching hand-inscribed by Lynch on the B-side. The digital version will contain the Lykke Li track as well. Lynch said of Lykke Li in a press release, "She brought her own style to this song, which has a doo-wop sort of thing going on, but in a way it's far-removed from the 50s."

The Big Dream:

01 The Big Dream
02 Star Dream Girl
03 Last Call
04 Cold Wind Blowin
05 The Ballad of Hollis Brown (Bob Dylan cover)
06 Wishin' Well
07 Say It
08 We Rolled Together
09 Sun Can't Be Seen No More
10 I Want You
11 The Line It Curves
12 Are You Sure
13 I'm Waiting Here [ft. Lykke Li] (bonus track)

http://ingrd.com/

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Dammit, I was hoping for another Duran Duran collaboration.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks