Nominate!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 20, 2014, 05:33:09 PM

Alexandro

best poster: Under the Skin (you know the one!)

Is there a thread for Short Term 12?
I saw it and felt very meh about it, like an absolute indie sundance bait movie, complete with a ludicrous (SPOILER) car destroying scene at the near end. (END OF SPOILER).

(SPOILERS FRO FRUITVALE STATION?)
Fruitvale Station seemed to me way too benevolent with it's lead character, avoiding any kind of negative trait upon him as to create artificial sympathy for him. The only thing that really stood out for me was the lead's performance precisely because he could  inject actual humanity into a tom hanks version of a real person.

Sleepless

For your consideration...

Bling Ring
Movie, Direction, Cinematography, Emma Watson

Gangster Squad
Worst everything

Hobbit
Special Effects

Iron Man 3
Screenplay

Monsters University
Animated

Oz the Great and Powerful
Worstness

Side Effects
Direction, Movie, Rooney Mara

Spring Breakers
Movie, Direction, James Franco, Vanessa Hudgens
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Was Gangster Squad really just last year? It feels forever ago. Ryan Gosling for Best Weird Voice.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Best Film
Best Director - Harmony Korine 
Best Cinematography - Benoit Debie
Best Supporting Male Performance- James Franco
Best Supporting Female Performance- Vanessa Hudgens

Best Film
Best Director- Dennis Villeneuve
Best Cinematography- Roger Deakins

Best Film
Best Director- Martin Scorsese
Best Screenplay- Terrence Winter

WORST FILM!!!

Lottery

Quote from: Alexandro on March 23, 2014, 11:17:36 AM
(SPOILERS FRO FRUITVALE STATION?)
Fruitvale Station seemed to me way too benevolent with it's lead character, avoiding any kind of negative trait upon him as to create artificial sympathy for him. The only thing that really stood out for me was the lead's performance precisely because he could  inject actual humanity into a tom hanks version of a real person.

I thought they started him off as a flawed individual who was trying to fix himself. That's what made it more tragic.

N

Updated since I realized how stupid it was.

Best Film: Computer Chess
Andrew Bujalski

Best Screenplay: Spring Breakers
Harmony Korine

Best Debut Film: Escape From Tomorrow
Randy Moore

Best Cinematography: The Wolf of Wall Street
Rodrigo Prieto

Best TV series: Breaking Bad

Best Trailer: The Double

Best Male Performance: Joaquin Phoenix
Her

Best Supporting Male Performance: James Franco
Spring Breakers

Best Film of 2012 (Redux): The Master

Worst Film: Grown Ups 2
Dennis Dugan

Fuzzy Dunlop

Still have a handful of films I need to catch up on, will revise.

Best Film
Before Midnight
Her
Mud
Short Term 12
Upstream Color
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Director
Martin Scorsese – Wolf of Wall Street
Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
Spike Jonze - Her
Harmony Korine – Spring Breakers
Steve McQueen – 12 Years a Slave
Shane Carruth – Upstream Color

Best Female Performance
Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine
Brie Larson – Short Term 12
Julie Delpy – Before Midnight
Judi Dench - Philomania
Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Amy Seimetz - Upstream Color

Best Male Performance
Simon Pegg – The World's End
Leonardo DiCaprio – Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club
Joaquin Phoenix - Her

Best Supporting Female Performance
June Squibb - Nebraska
Margot Robbie – Wolf of Wall Street
Jennifer Lawrence – American Hustle
Sally Hawkins – Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Garner – Dallas Buyers Club
Eva Mendez - The Place Beyond the Pines

Best Supporting Male Performance
Matthew McConaughey - Mud
James Franco – Spring Breakers
Bradley Cooper – American Hustle
Jonah Hill – Wolf of Wall Street
Michael Fassbender – 12 Years a Slave
Dane Dehaan – The Place Beyond the Pines

Best Screenplay
The Wolf of Wall Street - Terrence Winter
Mud - Jeff Nichols
Short Term 12 - Destin Cretton
Before Midnight - Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy
Her - Spike Jonze
The World's End - Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg

Best Cinematography
12 Years a Slave
Spring Breakers
Gravity
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Place Beyond the Pines

Best Original Music
Upstream Color - Shane Carruth
Gravity - Steven Price
Her - Arcade Fire & Owen Pallett, Karen O
Prince Avalanche - Explosions in the Sky & David Wingo
Spring Breakers - Cliff Martinez & (can't believe I'm saying this but) Skrillex

Best Visual Effects
Gravity
Pacific Rim
Man of Steel

Best Debut Film
This is the End

Best Trailer
The Wolf of Wall Street
Upstream Color
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Man of Steel
Spring Breakers
Under the Skin

Best Film Poster
Escape From Tomorrow
Gravity
Catching Fire
Nymp()manic O-face set (Udo Kier if I have to pick one)
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Upstream Color
Spring Breakers

Best TV Show
Breaking Bad
Nathan For You
True Detective
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Veep

Worst Film
A Good Day to Die Hard
Seriously, fuck that movie.

Best Film of 2012 (Redux)
The Master

jenkins

I saw it and felt very meh about it, like an absolute indie sundance bait movie, complete with a ludicrous (SPOILER) car destroying scene at the near end. (END OF SPOILER).

idk but anyway i'm always off the rail, so real quick: isn't the car scene some rolling thunder? as in, a totally justifiable action against a completely despicable character. that's how i see it. i'd like to hear what you mean by "ludicrous" and "sundance bait." maybe you see it as rolling thunder but still don't like it. that's how i felt about nebraska's punch

Alexandro

Quote from: jenkins<3 on March 24, 2014, 08:48:12 PM

idk but anyway i'm always off the rail, so real quick: isn't the car scene some rolling thunder? as in, a totally justifiable action against a completely despicable character. that's how i see it. i'd like to hear what you mean by "ludicrous" and "sundance bait." maybe you see it as rolling thunder but still don't like it. that's how i felt about nebraska's punch

SPOILERS FOR BOTH ST12 AND FRUITVALE STATION.

I saw the film as reasonably logic and centered in some sort of documentary like reality (as far as portraying the efforts of these guys to give the kids some hope for the future) until that scene, which felt more like a moment for the audience to cheer than a logical step to be taken by that character in that situation. not to mention there's absolutely not real consequences for the guy who she did this to, or her, or anyone. the sundance bait comment, snarky as it is, has to do with the subject matter, the handheld (and uncreative) camerawork, the artificial slacker niceness of every young social worker and what felt to me like a general superficiality. it just seemed like this universe is way more difficult than what is shown, but it's better to have a feel good movie about it.

fruitvale station had kind of the same problem for me. why is every scene about how this guy is DETERMINED to be a new man? he acts as if he's been the nicest human being all his life. you wonder how did he ever got into such trouble. when he throws away his stash of pot (with us knowing he's broke and owes rent and shit), and when he pets the dying dog, it just felt way too dedicated to the bulding of the character as a complete tragic case. however, I know that when people say "today i'll be a new man" is because they have a long history of being assholes, trainwrecks and dangerous individuals. you never feel that in the movie. it reminded me of tom hanks in road to perdition, where he is supposed to be a ruthless hitman for the mob and all you see is this super nice dad sacrificing himself for his son. only there it made more sense because it was told from the point of view of the son. this was just a filmmaker putting all his energy in leaving no doubt of the character's goodness, manipulating the audience into the thought: "man, if only he had the rest of his life to live, he was going to be a great man".

Punch

Quote from: Alexandro on March 24, 2014, 09:59:30 PM
Quote from: jenkins<3 on March 24, 2014, 08:48:12 PM

SPOILERS FOR BOTH ST12 AND FRUITVALE STATION.

I saw the film as reasonably logic and centered in some sort of documentary like reality (as far as portraying the efforts of these guys to give the kids some hope for the future) until that scene, which felt more like a moment for the audience to cheer than a logical step to be taken by that character in that situation. not to mention there's absolutely not real consequences for the guy who she did this to, or her, or anyone. the sundance bait comment, snarky as it is, has to do with the subject matter, the handheld (and uncreative) camerawork, the artificial slacker niceness of every young social worker and what felt to me like a general superficiality. it just seemed like this universe is way more difficult than what is shown, but it's better to have a feel good movie about it.

fruitvale station had kind of the same problem for me. why is every scene about how this guy is DETERMINED to be a new man? he acts as if he's been the nicest human being all his life. you wonder how did he ever got into such trouble. when he throws away his stash of pot (with us knowing he's broke and owes rent and shit), and when he pets the dying dog, it just felt way too dedicated to the bulding of the character as a complete tragic case. however, I know that when people say "today i'll be a new man" is because they have a long history of being assholes, trainwrecks and dangerous individuals. you never feel that in the movie. it reminded me of tom hanks in road to perdition, where he is supposed to be a ruthless hitman for the mob and all you see is this super nice dad sacrificing himself for his son. only there it made more sense because it was told from the point of view of the son. this was just a filmmaker putting all his energy in leaving no doubt of the character's goodness, manipulating the audience into the thought: "man, if only he had the rest of his life to live, he was going to be a great man".

With dead black bodies there is always the issue of humanizing the carcass & proving ones innocence i.e Toxicology test for drugs & alcohol. Ryan Coogler said his mission was to humanize Oscar Grant with the film i think he achieved this, the film was based on this particular time close to his death where he was trying to change. I don't see how this isn't an accurate portrayal
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Alexandro

I don't know it it's accurate or not, and the color of the man's skin is certainly not what I'm talking about. I'm saying the film does all it can to create artificial sympathy for the character, as if the fact that he's a human being unjustly murdered is not enough. the pot scene felt like a moral stretch and now I find that it never happened, and the dog scene felt corny and too obvious as symbolism. the film would be better without them. don't want to hijack this thread no more, but 2013 was an incredible year for movies. too incredible actually, to the point that a terrific film like ain't them bodies saints didn't make my final six choices for bp. I'm just trying to point out why some of the beloved films shown here are not, to my eyes, worthy of being on the list with all the others.

Fernando

Quote from: N on March 24, 2014, 06:16:51 PM
I might update this later on today once I watch Snowpiercer.

Best TV series: True Detective
The ending worked better than Breaking Bad for me.

im no admin but True D. is 2014, it was aired on january, and...

while snowpiercer has a 2013 imdb year, it hasn't had a wide release yet.

polkablues

Correct. I don't think we're considering either of those eligible for this year's awards.
My house, my rules, my coffee

N

Quote from: Fernando on March 25, 2014, 11:40:17 PM
im no admin but True D. is 2014, it was aired on january, and...

while snowpiercer has a 2013 imdb year, it hasn't had a wide release yet.

Oh wow, my bad.
Wrote those in a hurry, which defeats the purpose completely.
Updated and put some actual thought into it.

Axolotl

Best Poster-

since this was my favorite 2013 film and I want to see it nominated for something.