What You Don't See

Started by wilder, April 02, 2012, 02:40:53 AM

wilder

This impressive psychological thriller about a sensitive German adolescent grappling with his father's suicide and his mother's new boyfriend plays out against the eerie woods and fantastic rock formations of the Brittany Coast.

Written and Directed by Wolfgang Fischer
Directory of Photography Martin Gschlacht (Revanche, Lourdes)
Release Date - TBD, German DVD with English subtitles available here
IMDB

A review:

"This is a seriously creepy little film. It's like a Freudian nightmare. A sense of dread permeates nearly every scene. The film seems influenced by films from Tarkovski, Von Trier, Haneke, and Polanski; however, it is also unique enough to feel fresh. I think Wolfgang Fischer is a promising new director to watch."

Trailer

Subtitled Trailer, lower quality

Pubrick

i appreciate all the effort you put into these grapevine posts, with the poster, trailer, synopsis, imdb link, pics from the film, credits and even a little review.. not mention italicizing and bolding! so i feel compelled to at least post my vague impressions:

i think there should be a subgenre made out of noob directors and the first films they make in their local woods. sometimes they are successful like Blair Witch, other times they are embarrassing failures (most of the time).. but it is such an established rite of passage that even KUBRICK did it with fear and desire!

i think that's why he was so embarrassed by that film.. he recognised the economy of setting something in the "mysterious and free" woods, and thought he could revolutionise the subgenre as he would eventually with every other film he made, but was ultimately just another victim of what proved to become an inevitable pitfall for all first time filmmakers.

oh that's another impossibility he achieved with the shining, he made the woods relevant.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

WE's posts are one of the best things about this board.  :yabbse-thumbup:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.