NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Stefen

I'd skip Call or Duty 4 (they're kind of lowest common denominator shooters) and stick to BioShock as your first person shooter. The first one is awesome. Then skip Mass Effect 1 and go right to Mass Effect 2 (it's what I did and I hear it's the best way to do it since Mass Effect 1 is a bit dated now). Then Arkham Asylum. I'm actually playing this now and it's awesome.

I'm SRome on XBox LIVE if you guys want to add me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on April 04, 2011, 12:03:23 PM
I'd skip Call or Duty 4 (they're kind of lowest common denominator shooters) and stick to BioShock as your first person shooter. The first one is awesome. Then skip Mass Effect 1 and go right to Mass Effect 2 (it's what I did and I hear it's the best way to do it since Mass Effect 1 is a bit dated now). Then Arkham Asylum. I'm actually playing this now and it's awesome.

Well, I started with Call of Duty (was the first game I tried) and came close to finishing it (I think), I just dropped it for Red Dead.
I'm going to finish it.  I get what you're saying about CofD, but the whole reason I got the Xbox was that I wanted a really dumb game like that where I can just run around killing people, like playing a bad movie.  Bioshock is fun and I'll finish that too, but I got a little tired of its attempts to scare me (though I really like the overall look of the game... the gameplay was a little slow).

Arkham I was at least halfway through when I stopped and I love it.  I'll probably finish that next.
and fuck you, I bought Mass Effect, I'm playing Mass Effect.

Quote from: Stefen on April 04, 2011, 12:03:23 PM
I'm SRome on XBox LIVE if you guys want to add me.

Okay... but what does that do?  Just make it possible to play games together online?
I was on a trial gold account that seems to be messed up.  It's supposed to be expired, but won't let me renew and doesn't seem to have actually fully expired (I can still watch Netflix).

RegularKarate

Okay, I'm ThankfulOcean1 on live.  I was upset and surprised that RegularKarate was taken.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cronopio 2

i haven't played a game since red dead, but i am very excited about Portal 2.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on April 02, 2011, 03:24:14 PM
So what's the deal with L.A. Noire? Is it going to be a sandbox game like Red Dead Redemption or is it going to be more linear like Heavy Rain?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1162011p1.html

This article explains pretty well how the game's supposed to work.  I'm getting more and more excited for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

mogwai

This is why the Playstation network is currently offline: :brickwall:

Greetings, Sony Customers And PS3 Users. We are Anonymous.

During the last few days, Anonymous has been targeting Sony for their outrageous treatment of not only PS3 users and jailbreakers, but also of the general public. Their propaganda regarding jailbreaking implies that it encourages piracy and thereby makes people lose their jobs, whereas jailbreaking actually just means you are making YOUR device do what it should do. Imagine if Microsoft forced you to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox or Chrome. Imagine if they denied users from using any other web browser than their own. Many people would obviously be pissed... but then, why aren't you pissed at Sony?

The fact that their litigation demanded information on everyone who had viewed the material, was completely unacceptable. This is a threat not only to the gaming community, but to freedom of information in general. The fact that the privacy of individuals can be violated, simply for accessing information, and legal action can be taken for doing something with something you own, are steps far beyond the line. Anonymous decided it could not allow this to stand. If jailbreaking a phone for use of legal (unsigned) apps is found legal, why would this be any different for the Geohot case, seeing as Geohot explicitly states he does not support piracy?

Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time. Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.

Anonymous is on your side, standing up for your rights. We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions. If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal.
This operation is a response to Sony's attempt to deprive their customers of products they bought and therefore own, wholly and completely. Anonymous will not attempt to fight this by following the exact same course of action. We have plenty of tricks up our sleeves.

As a last point, we would like to point out that different operations are "run" by different people. Those who are involved in the organisation of OpSony, are not necessarily those involved in that of SonyRecon. Anonymous Operations are generally independent efforts, and it would be a mistake to assume that the same individuals are responsible for every action taken. Anonymous is comprised of people with diverse points of view, of which not all coincide with one another.

That being said, our campaign against Sony and others that would trample on the idea of free information will continue, until we are satisfied with the outcome.

We are Anonymous,
We are legion,
We never forgive,
We never forget,
Expect us.

Stefen

mogwai

Sony Admits That PSN May Have Been Attacked

A few days ago, Anonymous threatened to attack Sony for their legal actions against PS3 hackers like Geohot. Also a few days ago, the Playstation Network went down. Sony originally labeled this as "sporadic maintenance" but the coincidence was too much to ignore.

Today, Sony released a statement that they are currently investigating the network instability and that they are considering the possibility of it being a targeted attack by an outside party. The statement went on to say, "If this is indeed caused by such act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support."

Anonymous themselves have claimed that they did in fact attack the Playstation Network. However, they also admit that this was a bad idea and they have said that they will stop via an official announcement on the group's website:

"We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers. Anonymous is on your side, standing up for your rights. We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions. If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal."

That being said Anonymous was adamant that their anti-Sony campaign will continue until they are satisfied with the outcome. They just assured gamers that their attacks will take place in a form that does not interrupt their ability to game online. In Anonymous's own words, they say they have "big surprises" in store for Sony. Just what those surprises are, is uncertain.

For the rest of us, this means we can play online games once again without worrying about random network drops. It also means we can once again access the Playstation Store and buy all our favorite retro and independent games. One has to wonder, how will Anonymous attack Sony if not through their online services. Is there any real way to threaten a corporation as powerful as Sony without attacking their bottom line?

-----

Anonymous :bravo:  :violin: :roll: :hammer: :boxing: :nono: :onfire: :notworthy:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Christian on April 23, 2011, 02:20:02 AMOne has to wonder, how will Anonymous attack Sony if not through their online services. Is there any real way to threaten a corporation as powerful as Sony without attacking their bottom line?

Well yeah... They can DoS their website or publish internal emails like they've done with other companies.

mogwai

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Update on PlayStation Network and Qriocity

+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.
We're working day and night to ensure it is done as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment
The same information can be found at the following websites:

http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/#non-us

For those that live the United States, but not Massachustes or Puerto Rico:
http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/#us

If you live in Massachusetts:
http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/#mass

If you live in Puerto Rico
http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/#pr

Stefen

Only one more week until L.A. Noire comes out.

So has it been determined if it's going to be a free-roam game or not?

cronopio 2

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on May 10, 2011, 09:31:16 PM
Only one more week until L.A. Noire comes out.

So has it been determined if it's going to be a free-roam game or not?

Quote from: polkablues on April 15, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: Stefen on April 02, 2011, 03:24:14 PM
So what's the deal with L.A. Noire? Is it going to be a sandbox game like Red Dead Redemption or is it going to be more linear like Heavy Rain?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1162011p1.html

This article explains pretty well how the game's supposed to work.
My house, my rules, my coffee