PDL: 99 cents...cheap pudding!

Started by Sigur Rós, March 19, 2003, 12:25:57 PM

Sigur Rós

I just discovered this really fun detail in PDL. You know the place where Barry is being robbed by the "blond brothers" and Barry says something like "You know 500 dollars is actually alot of money to me......99 cents". I didn't get this the first time because i didn't see the supermarket, named 99cents, which is placed in the background. When i realized this i literally laughed my head of. He is being robbed, and giving this little speech about how little money he's got, and at the same time thinking about how to get cheap pudding. (We later see him in this store buying "some" of the famous Healthy Choice Pudding)

Did anyone else find this line/detail funny?
Does anybody hold a different opinion about the meaning of this?

©brad

didn't notice it after 4 viewings of the film, but yeah in hindsight, its funny.

Girlonthemoon

I vaguely remember it in the film, which is of course very funny. But did anyone notice how alien (even robot like) Barry sounds when he says '99 cents' on the Blossoms & Blood DVD, or is it just me?
Hud at ya blades...

©brad

well maybe if i was lucky enough to own a copy of the blossoms and blood dvd...

yeah yeah i know i can get it on ebay but rather spend that amount of money and booze and drugs and just hold out for the much more reasonable DVD in June.

Girlonthemoon

Quote from: cbrad4dyeah yeah i know i can get it on ebay but rather spend that amount of money and booze and drugs.

Watching B&B gives you a major hit though - especially when you crank the volume up!
Hud at ya blades...

Sigur Rós

Girlonthemoon

In addition to the standard "For Your Consideration" DVD of PDL, some received a special bonus DVD titled "Blossoms & Blood". It contains a 12 minute arrangement of outtakes and Jeremy Blake artwork from PDL (as well as the "Here We Go" video). On the inside of the case, there is a small message : Best Listened To Loud.
Hud at ya blades...

Sigur Rós

Ok, cool! I dont understand....is it legal to sell these DVD's over Ebay?

Ghostboy

That take on B&B is so absurdly rigid...I love it.

Girlonthemoon

Quote from: Sigur RósOk, cool! I dont understand....is it legal to sell these DVD's over Ebay?

Not at all! The copy I ended up 'winning' was deleted by the ebay hounds a day before the aution was due to end.
Hud at ya blades...

Girlonthemoon

Quote from: GhostboyThat take on B&B is so absurdly rigid...I love it.

Damn right! It's weird, but amazing. Pure genius!
Hud at ya blades...

Sigur Rós

Quote from: GhostboyThat take on B&B is so absurdly rigid...I love it.

Could anybody rip/screen it? that wouldn't be against the law....would it?

aclockworkjj

I realized it the first time through....very funny, yes.  But for those that are not from southern Cal, those kind of stores are on very street corner.  So in reality, I did not find it as funny as most would I think.  I don't know if it was intended to be more funny, as much as it was intended to establish a great geological reference....like I said though, I laughed.

oakmanc234

I noticed Barry's rambling '99 cent' gag straight away. I love that bit. Barry was so damn wimpy 'No please! ow! ow! ow!' (THUMP).
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Link

I felt stupid last time I saw it, because that was when I caught it, and I laughed myself, and then realized that's how he knew about that store to go to with Lance, since he already bought basically all the pudding at the supermarket.