The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Sleepless

Awesome. Was just rewatching CM the other night, it is so funny. I think we'll get a good lot of PTA's humor in this one too. Now we get 2 years to bask in the excitement and anticipate. Awesome.

:bravo:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Derek

Quote from: ©brad on December 05, 2009, 01:30:41 PM
I wonder what the actual title will end up being. Surely "The Master" is too simple and Ron Howardish for a PTA joint.

I don't know, I like the simplicity of it, kind of like The Prestige. Of course, I'm one of the few who prefer Hard Eight to Sydney.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

cine

its ridiculous that i see somebody say "CM" and i instantly accept that as "There Will Be Blood".

Stefen

Quote from: cine on December 07, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
its ridiculous that i see somebody say "CM" and i instantly accept that as "There Will Be Blood".

haha, me too. I saw it and knew exactly what he was referring to. RIDICULOUS.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gittes

Question from a newcomer:

Why do you guys refer to There Will Be Blood as 'CM'?

matt35mm

It goes back to when we first saw the font used for the title.

I think P said that it looked like Chere Mill Be Blood.  Since then, many on this board have referred to it as CMBB.  So when Sleepless said CM, probably most of the people on this board immediately knew what he was talking about, though I believe he is the first to just call it CM.

So there ya go.

Pubrick

that's correct, matt35mm.

i first mentioned it after the trailer came out in june 2007, but it didn't catch on. i tried once again a few months later in reference to the awesome teaser poster above:

Quote from: ρ on September 07, 2007, 12:28:45 AM
that's all well and excellent, but am i the only one bummed that they changed the title to "Chere Mill Be Blood"?

way to drop the ball, Paul. sheesh.

my not-so-secret admirer who had a 78.1% chance of being a dude disapproved..

Quote from: maya kash on September 07, 2007, 12:30:58 AM
You used to be funny

What happened?

it was beginning to look like this gag wouldn't catch on..

Quote from: ρ on September 07, 2007, 12:50:16 AM
i believe in this gag.  :yabbse-sad:

when ambition meets faith: Chere Mill Be Blood.

later that day, ElPandaRoyal was the first one to give me any encouragement.

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on September 07, 2007, 05:35:47 AM
I believe in it too. I LOLed.

i went as far as to start tagging pics from the movie under the new name, even if no one was noticing.

Quote from: Pubrick on September 07, 2007, 01:31:05 PM

my favourite scene of the movie (so far).

grand theft sparrow noticed when he quoted the picture:

Quote from: grand theft sparrow on September 07, 2007, 02:41:25 PM
And wow, Pubrick, you are SERIOUSLY committed to that Chere Mill Be Blood gag.

and one day when it looked like i had turned one of my biggest M2F critics, who used it quite creatively, i thought there might be hope:

Quote from: maya kash on September 08, 2007, 04:45:33 AM
Tanks Bee Diddy

You can sniff me panties anytime

Cept when chere mill be blood

Come over sumtime and I'll show you my trailer...I call her rusty

but i had my suspicions that it would catch on beyond cross-dressing mouf breathing dudes who thankfully lived at a safe distance on the other side of the world, until a hilarious interchange between stefen and the aforementioned shemale resulted with the first use of CMBB..

Quote from: ρ on September 12, 2007, 06:20:45 PM
Quote from: maya kash on September 12, 2007, 04:34:04 PM
CMBB

that made my day.

after that, there was no stopping it.

as a comparison, i had no luck with CCBB (the curious case of benjamin button). but that was probably cos the movie fucking sucked.
under the paving stones.

Pas

haha I PMed stefen a couple days ago to ask him what it was all about

good 'birth of a gag' story, I like the devotion in it, I think kids should look it up.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ρ on December 07, 2009, 05:34:27 AM

later that day, ElPandaRoyal was the first one to give me any encouragement.

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on September 07, 2007, 05:35:47 AM
I believe in it too. I LOLed.

Just to let you know how much I LOLed at the time, let me tell you this: my younger brother has never seen CM (it's the only PTA flick he hasn't seen) and he doesn't know anything about XIXAX and he always refers to it as Chere Mill Be Blood. I believed in it, and I went all the way with it. Also, I'd hump P anytime. In a non gay way, of course. Only with my penis.
Si

modage

Philip Seymour Hoffman Doesn't Know Much About The Master
Source: NYMag

In keeping with our ongoing crusade to bring you all the latest info, pertinent or otherwise, on Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming Philip Seymour Hoffman–starring The Master, which may or may not be about the birth Scientology, we asked Hoffman about it at last night's last night's Celebrity Charades benefit for LAByrinth Theater Company. "I really don't know much about it. If [you] know anything, [you] know more than I do," he told us, explaining that he's not yet seen a script. Is it about Scientology? we asked. To which he replied: "No idea."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

What? What? PSH signed off on this without seeing the script?? Even DDL saw the script for CMBB before he said yes. What is PSH thinking? What if this movie is a bunch of fart jokes and contains a CGI character called "Buddha Buddy."???

Stefen

Quote from: Find Your Magali on December 08, 2009, 07:47:38 PM
What? What? PSH signed off on this without seeing the script?? Even DDL saw the script for CMBB before he said yes. What is PSH thinking? What if this movie is a bunch of fart jokes and contains a CGI character called "Buddha Buddy."???

Then he's a fuggin' idiot. He's a fuggin' idiot. Fuggin' idiot, fuggin' idiot, fuggin' idiot. 
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ordet

This is great news. I like the Bresson comparison. Although Bresson preferred to work with non actors. I do get a Malick feel to it. Malick's new film Tree of life set in the 1950's as well. Anyway this is great news.

I wonder if Mumbles O'Malley will finally appear on this one?
were spinning

The Perineum Falcon

No score PSH?! :shock:

Also, how did you get a "Malick feel" to it? To the article about an unfinished script, you mean? it *might* be a little early to go throwing around comparisons since no one knows what it will be like, not even PTA.

Early excitement is warranted, of course we're all excited, but let's not get ahead of ourselves everyone here.

Oh well, I'm calling best film of 2012 (so far)!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.