any actors in here?

Started by prophet, October 10, 2003, 05:47:05 PM

prophet

is there any actors who are in school for acting? i have a question.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

TheVoiceOfNick

I've acted in my own projects and in some small-time things... i've also written an acting ebook... maybe I can answer your question (then again, maybe i can't)...   :P

prophet

if i goto a college and ask some actors to be in a short do you think they would do it for free if they like the script or will they ask for money? I think they would be happy to be doing some thing.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Gold Trumpet

To get a little nostalgic, with being an active member of the old boards for its entire history, everytime i hear someone call out for local actors on any forum at all I am quickly reminded of the great thread on C & C in the forum PTA's future projects in which one girl with a name I can't remember posted a calling out PTA and announcing herself an actress and then saying something weird which I forgot.

I remember how it was one of the first threads for that forum and really said nothing but everyone replied at the fascination of ONE FEMALE actually posting at the board. Some ridiculed her and some quietly begged her to post more. I don't think she posted again. That was a great thread.

(And to defend myself: I know I turned into a different direction. Still, if anyone here who is an actor and willing to post on the specific matter will still do so. Talking about this won't scare them not to. If they wanna post, they will.)

~rougerum

prophet

Alethia

i act in my high school drama club productions.  we are now doing inherit the wind, and im playing matthew harrison brady.  fuck yeah.

cine

Yes I act, and to actually answer your question I'd say it varies. If you gotta guy who isn't busy with any actor and you approach him nicely about this great part, chances are he might do it for free. Some people need to be paid because they have a lot on their plate and need some sort of credit for going out of their way and doing another job on top of all the other shit they gotta do. So it really depends. Scope out all the actors you know, get aquainted with them and when you get a good script out, you can woe them over and get to do it cheap. thats the best way to go.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTo get a little nostalgic, with being an active member of the old boards for its entire history, everytime i hear someone call out for local actors on any forum at all I am quickly reminded of the great thread on C & C in the forum PTA's future projects in which one girl with a name I can't remember posted a calling out PTA and announcing herself an actress and then saying something weird which I forgot.

I remember how it was one of the first threads for that forum and really said nothing but everyone replied at the fascination of ONE FEMALE actually posting at the board. Some ridiculed her and some quietly begged her to post more. I don't think she posted again. That was a great thread.

That was Jacki Lynn, and the thread was 'PTA is a soul shaker'. And she wanted PTA to cast her in one of his films because she was an "inspiring" actress.
http://www.jacki-lynn.com/index2.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Many thanks, Macguffin. As seeing the banner now for promotion of XIXAX is Arnold, I definitely recommend someone give her that same courtesy and make a banner for her. Great potential in that idea.  

~rougeru

Alexandro

I've been on dramatic arts school for the last two years and with this things it depends on the actor. Some actors are incredibly picky about working on short films (I mean stage actors) cause they are used to deal with mor eprofessional people on stage and then some undergraduated kid or some guy who studdied communications asks them to be on their films and stage actors usually believe that a good director needs to be familiar with the acting process...

but there are others who will do it no matter what, just for the experience and probably for free...depending on how hard the work is...however...it's better to pay people cause that way you feel there's a real commitment from both parts...

TheVoiceOfNick

I just responded privately, but i'll post it here to for everyone's benefit...

----------------
Of course! Actors, especially ones that are just beginning or still in school, are always looking to practice their trade. You just go there and say you're a filmmaking making a short film, and you can offer them a meal and a copy of the finished movie on tape, and you'll see just how many people you get!!! Never offer any money, since they aren't expecting it to begin with... just post a casting call flyer in the theatre department, have a place where they can send in headshots, and voila! Or you can speak to some professors and have them reccommend some good students, and then just interview those students, have them do a monolog or something, and there you go!
----------------------

To add to this, there are some actors at colleges and universities that will do any role that is thrown to them... sometimes these are the best actors, sometimes these could be the worst actors... either way, it is to your benefit that you audition an actor, no matter how enthused they are about your project, or how good they make you feel by boosting your ego with their attention to you... i've been lucky enough to work with some great actors.

Nick

ElPandaRoyal

Good old Jacki... boy, do I remember her..... hehehe. I still think some of the guys on the board were kind of jackasses with her "inspiring" dreams and all. It's good to SEE her again on the top of the page though.
Si

SoNowThen

Quote from: prophetif i goto a college and ask some actors to be in a short do you think they would do it for free if they like the script or will they ask for money? I think they would be happy to be doing some thing.

They will be happy to do it for free. I've never had an actor ask for money (mostly because I've never had a real budget). Like someone else already said, a copy of the tape will do. Just remember that when they are working for this kind of wage, their commitment tends to waver, especially if you favor 12+ hour workdays and night shoots (as I do). But yeah, free actors are a dime a dozen.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

i act like i'm cool....(and i am pretty good at it..).

Cecil

but if you can act cool, that means you know what cool IS, therfore, why cant you just BE cool?