Started by cine, December 17, 2004, 10:05:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cinephile
A Clockwork Orange.

Quote from: cinephile
Eugene Levy.

mogwai

Gold Trumpet

Sad how so many people get away just saying they don't like something.

picolas

okay, what i recall is
- it's poorly written/translated
- including dialogue like "let's fucking get the fuck out of here before we get fucking fucked by all this shit!" "shit yeah!"
- it fills in the photographer's story really quickly just before the end.
- it tried soooo hard to be visually insane that it actually made me feel weird in the stomach. the part where the camera flips upside down to do the other side of some dialogue scene was where that happened.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSad how so many people get away just saying they don't like something.

ok:
i like slower more boring pictures; i didn't like any of the visuals; it felt very reciprocated and unorganic; buscapé was more interesting to me than anyone else and his role as narrative eye was boring and cheated to me; it also felt as if david fincher had remade hector babencos 'pixote'; i felt it didnt`t allow any 'room' for the characters to exist because they just connected a dot or handed off a baton to the next shot; also: would you have preferred that i say 'this is a bad film' instead of 'this is a film i didn't like'?

The Silver Bullet

I'm slightly surprised. I would have thought that City of God would have been a bona fide Xixaxian favourite.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Silver BulletI'm slightly surprised. I would have thought that City of God would have been a bona fide Xixaxian favourite.

I know what you mean. These kids today....
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: picolas- it tried soooo hard to be visually insane that it actually made me feel weird in the stomach. the part where the camera flips upside down to do the other side of some dialogue scene was where that happened.
What's wrong with that?

And why are people so annoyed by inconsistency lately?

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat's wrong with that?
it was unnecessary gratuitous superfluous excessive superficial ineffective visual-bullshit overkill to the max.

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm... Can someone provide the time so we can review the scene in question?

Alethia

Quote from: 03
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSad how so many people get away just saying they don't like something.

ok:
i like slower more boring pictures; i didn't like any of the visuals; it felt very reciprocated and unorganic; buscapé was more interesting to me than anyone else and his role as narrative eye was boring and cheated to me; it also felt as if david fincher had remade hector babencos 'pixote'; i felt it didnt`t allow any 'room' for the characters to exist because they just connected a dot or handed off a baton to the next shot; also: would you have preferred that i say 'this is a bad film' instead of 'this is a film i didn't like'?

i agree with this.  i'm really fucking sick of this mtv style shit.  it's so boring and obvious.  this movie wasn't a total waste of time but a huge letdown, especially considering ebert's little comment on the front of the dvd cover, and hearing robert altman sing its praises, etc.

cine

Quote from: ewardi'm really fucking sick of this mtv style shit.
and i'm really fucking sick of mtv getting all the credit.

SHAFTR

I have in the City of God thread and brought it up in the Man on Fire thread.

The aesthetic doesn't fit the content.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAnd why are people so annoyed by inconsistency lately?

The bible is full of inconsistencies, but it's still a big hit.

cine

Quote from: Myxomatosisbut it's still a big hit.
That's news to me.