Started by bonanzataz, December 28, 2003, 07:15:25 PM

phil marlowe

dogville
american splendor
return of the king
hulk/ kill bill (kinda)

MY GOD i have to catch up.

j_scott_stroup04

This list excludes those films that have been branded into "the best of 2003" by most of the people on this site (21 Grams, Mystic River, Big Fish, etc.)

1- Kill Bill Vol. 1

2- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

3- Lost in Translation

4- Hulk (I think the majority of us would agree that this is the most artistically satisfying superhero picture since Burton's Batman Returns)

5- 28 Days Later

6- Once Upon a Time in Mexico

7- Intolerable Cruelty

8- Bad Santa

9- X2: X-Men United

10- Anything Else

I realized while typing this that this was a pretty crappy list.  Besides the first three, I didn't HIGHLY enjoy any other film of 2003 (so far anyway). Kill Bill was the only film that blew my mind, LOTR was close, but it dragged on too long at the end to conclude with the complete blowing of the mind, and Lost in Translation was just brilliant.

I'm almost certain that after this Friday, I will include Big Fish (hopefully, anyway), and whenever the oppurtunity arises that allows me to view School of Rock, 21 Grams, Mystic River, American Splendor, Cold Mountain, Last Samurai, Spider (I think that was 2003), and a few others that I can't think of right now, I will be able to give a thoroughly accurate Top 10 list for 2003.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

StacksEdwards

I have been thinking about this one...

*I didn't see alot of movies

10.  The Last Samurai
9. School of Rock
8. Elf
7. Master and Commander: Far Side of the World
6. Finding Nemo
5. The Cooler
4. Owning Mahowny
3. Lost in Translation
2.  Kill Bill Volume 1
1.  Mystic River
"The Book says, we may be through with the past, bit the past ain't through with us."

--Jimmy Gator, Magnolia

ComixFan

My current top ten of 2003:

01) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
02) Kill Bill--Vol. 1
03) Lost in Translation
04) Finding Nemo
05) X2: X-Men United
06) School of Rock
07) House of Sand and Fog
08) A Mighty Wind
09) The Last Samurai
10) Matchstick Men

samsong

for now...

1. (tie) Elephant and Dogville
2. The Company
3. Mystic River
4. Lost in Translation
5. Whale Rider
6. The Barbarian Invasions
7. American Splendor
8. Kill Bill Vol. 1
9. The Station Agent
10. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Pozer

1.Lo
2.st
3.in
4.tr
5.an
6.sl
7.at
8.io
9.n
10.and the rest

Ernie

Quote from: j_scott_stroup044- Hulk (I think the majority of us would agree that this is the most artistically satisfying superhero picture since Burton's Batman Returns)

Ooooh, this makes me want to see it. Superhero movies aren't my favorite things but B-man Returns is a classic.

Sleepless

Okay, I'm in the Uk, so my list is based on the best films released in the UK during 2003.

First off, my favourite film of 2003 was 25th Hour. Man, that film had it all - Ed Norton, PSH, Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, Barry Pepper. It looks so goo, just everything about it, amazing. I can't believe all the Oscar hype, etc just ignored it completely. Without a doubt that film is my favourite of 2003. No question about it. And now the rest of the best (so to speak), in no particular order:

Spirited Away
Punch-Drunk Love
Moonlight Mile
Igby Goes Down
Buffalo Soldiers
Belleville Rendez-Vous
Adaptation
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Pirates of The Caribbean
Return of The King
The Hours
The Pianist
X-Men 2
Intolerable Cruelty
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Finn

OK...Here's my top ten list! I haven't seen Elephant, 21 Grams or Monster yet. So when I do, I'll revise my list. But for now...here it is!

10. The Shape of Things

Neil LaBute is always good at shocking and challenging the audience, and he does again here. Rachel Weiz and Paul Rudd are terrific!

9. Raising Victor Vargas

A film that knows the truth about relationships and youth.

8. Peter Pan

No other movie won me over more this year than this rare treasure. Rachel Hurd-Wood is simply wonderful!

7. Irreversible

Gasper Noe's film is deeply disturbing, dark, unrelenting...and profound.

6. Gerry

The story is simple, the filmmaking is amazing.

5. All the Real Girls

What a beautiful, haunting and vibrant gem this is. David Gordan Green is one of our best young directors. Paul Schneider is great!

4. Capturing the Friedmans

The best documentary in years!

3. Mystic River

It's a drama, crime story and a character study all rolled into one. Great performances all across the board, Eastwood's best directorial effort!

2. Kill Bill : Volume 1

Tarantino's bloody, brutal and brilliant homage! Regardless of how number 2 will be, it stands alone as his best movie since Pulp Fiction.

1. Lost in Translation

An extremly rare movie that gets everything just right. The best film of the year!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Jeremy Blackman

1 21 Grams

2 City of God

3 28 Days Later

4 Kill Bill Vol. 1

5 Lost in Translation

6 Whale Rider

7 In America

8 Hulk

9 Gerry

10 The Shape of Things

severely edited 1/20/04

SoNowThen

Am I allowed to put Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind on my list? It's listed as coming out in limited release on Dec 31, 2002, and most of its first showings were at 2003 festivals...

if so, it can sit at a firm 2nd place.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

I'm really surprised to see how many have The Hulk on their top ten. I'll have to rent it. I like Ang Lee on and off, but I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, and that, combined with the roundly terrible reviews, was enough to inspire me to skip it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Dogville and Kill Bill. That's it.
context, context, context.

cine

Quote from: godardianI'm really surprised to see how many have The Hulk on their top ten. I'll have to rent it. I like Ang Lee on and off, but I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, and that, combined with the roundly terrible reviews, was enough to inspire me to skip it.
The terrible reviews were from people who creamed their pants over Spiderman, so that gives you a good idea of the taste from those critics who shit on Hulk. Hulk was a thinking person's movie, which is why I agreed with Ebert's review that it's not for the typical comic book fan.