New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 09, 2007, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Pubrick on November 07, 2007, 05:41:40 PMthese DVDs are one disappointment after another.
But, seriously, the cinematographers/directors of Bulletproof

Ernest Dickerson was the cinematographer for Do the Right Thing and he also directed episodes of the greatest show on television (The Wire).
But he did direct dean cain and wesley snipes in Future Sport, so i see where you're coming from...
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Redlum

I just watched the first 20 minutes of 2001 on Blu-ray and it really is astounding. It's definitely worth holding off on these like Pubrick says, if you intend on moving to high definition and don't want to tripple/quadruple dip.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

idk

The main menu in EWS looks horrible and whats up with The Shining cover art being so out of place, i mean come on consistency is key...also i noticed the FMJ disc has no cool pic while the others do, tisk tisk.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Redlum on November 15, 2007, 06:11:49 AM
I just watched the first 20 minutes of 2001 on Blu-ray and it really is astounding. It's definitely worth holding off on these like Pubrick says, if you intend on moving to high definition and don't want to tripple/quadruple dip.

i agree!  i watched it on friday.  i was off.  you guys have to go high def.  there is no excuse now with (at least) hd-dvd players $200.  blu-ray is a wee bit more.  but with easy firmware updates the ps3 is the way to go for blu-ray.  and if you own a 360, just buy the damn cheap ass hd add on.  and hd tvs are very affordable now.  here's a tip if you are buying a hd tv that's 40" or less, than get 720p.  if you go above 40" get 1080p.  it's not that hard to get a best buy/circuit city card and finance the thing.  but yeah, 2001 looks fucking insane!  the detail and sound is phenomenal.  there's nothing more that i can say about the film 2001 except it trades w/ eyes wide shut for being kub's greatest triumph.  i love this film so much.  and i'll report back on eyes wide shut on hd-dvd soon.   

tpfkabi

Quote from: Harlan
HARLAN: I had nothing interesting to offer on "Barry Lyndon."  I have since received a copy of a very interesting conversation between Stanley and Michel Ciment, but it is too late now.

I hope they reconsider an expanded DVD for Barry Lyndon.

I believe Wes Anderson mentioned BL in his Rushmore commentary.

I think it would be very interesting if he and Scorsese filmed a talk about the film (and Kubrick in general) or even if they did a feature length commentary. Van Sant also speaks of Kubrick, so maybe him as well.

Add this to what Pubrick suggested and it would be quite a nice edition.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: pyramid machine on November 16, 2007, 10:47:46 PM
Quote from: Redlum on November 15, 2007, 06:11:49 AM

i agree!  i watched it on friday.  i was off.  you guys have to go high def.  there is no excuse now with (at least) hd-dvd players $200.  blu-ray is a wee bit more.  but with easy firmware updates the ps3 is the way to go for blu-ray.  and if you own a 360, just buy the damn cheap ass hd add on.  and hd tvs are very affordable now.  here's a tip if you are buying a hd tv that's 40" or less, than get 720p.  if you go above 40" get 1080p.  it's not that hard to get a best buy/circuit city card and finance the thing.  but yeah, 2001 looks fucking insane!  the detail and sound is phenomenal.  there's nothing more that i can say about the film 2001 except it trades w/ eyes wide shut for being kub's greatest triumph.  i love this film so much.  and i'll report back on eyes wide shut on hd-dvd soon.   
I'll add my updated impressions in five years when I can afford it.

cowboykurtis

i believe this is the doc on the new 2001 release
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtis on November 24, 2007, 09:47:25 PM

the same user has also uploaded a bunch of other kubrick docos, including one called "The Last Movie".

except it doesn't have anything to do with EWS, and i'm not convinced it's the one from the extras, and it seems incomplete at the end of part 3.

still, bless this dude.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtis on November 24, 2007, 09:47:25 PM

It is.

Quote from: Pubrick on November 25, 2007, 05:13:18 AMthe same user has also uploaded a bunch of other kubrick docos, including one called "The Last Movie".

except it doesn't have anything to do with EWS, and i'm not convinced it's the one from the extras, and it seems incomplete at the end of part 3.

It's been reedited. The Emilio stuff has been taken out of the DVD version. The user said that the last 25 minutes were "swiped."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I've enjoyed watching the films (some I had only seen once previously) and then reading the corresponding sections in the SK Archives book.

One thing that stood out was one pic from EWS that includes something you don't see in the widescreen version...think cadaver... :ponder:

cowboykurtis

same user -- clockwork orange

Features interviews with Sam Mendes, Camille Peglia, Alexander Walker, Mark Kermode, William Sutcliffe, Tony Kaye, Steven Soderbergh and Mary Harron
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Sony has announced a Dr. Strangelove: 45th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray Disc release on 6/16 (SRP TBA - the title is already available on DVD). Extras will include 6 featurettes (including An Interview with Robert McNamara, Best Sellers: Peter Sellers Remembered, Inside the Making of Dr. Strangelove, No Fighting in the War Room or: Dr. Strangelove and the Nuclear Threat and The Art of Stanley Kubrick: From Short Films to Strangelove). Also included will be the BD-exclusive The Cold Facts Graphics-in-Picture/Picture-in-Picture Track.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

They have the box set at Sam's now - and even the Scorsese box with Mean Streets.