WHAT TYPE OF FILM SHOULD PTA DO NEXT?

Started by Marty McSuperfly, January 15, 2003, 06:00:24 AM

jtm

I have a feeling he'll do a period piece of some kind.  What ever it is, i'm sure it will be my favorite movie of 200?.

MacGuffin

From Greg's site:

The BBC profiles "Ten Directors to Watch" & PTA made their list. Ignore the "Staggering Genius" tidbit (they're wrong).

Paul Thomas Anderson
After the operatic grandeur of his Boogie Nights/Magnolia double whammy, Hollywood's most name-checked director returns with the slightly more modest Punch-Drunk Love (out 07 February). Sending Adam Sandler's career in a whole new direction with this beautiful, erratic (you heard that right) homage to love, alien harmoniums, phone sex and spontaneous rages, he provides us with an exhilarating, joyous hour and a half. Next, PTA has ideas for an animated film and a musical, and his name has been attached to helm an adaptation of Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I think a PTA Thriller would be great.  The violent scenes in his movies are done so well.  I think he could really put together a *gasp* thrilling thriller.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

oakmanc234

Who else thinks that PTA could make a really awesome and spectacular action movie? Unlike anyother. Truly, how dazzling was the 'raining frog' sequence in 'Magnolia' or the 'beat and chase' sequence look in 'PDL' etc. The dark look and whirlwind cinematography of his films mixed with that real tension and anxiety could make for such a cool action flick. I liked how he said (in that Total Film interview) that he wants to tackle all genres, Western and horror ('a real terror movie') were mentioned. He could definately make a real freaky, chill-you-to-the-bone horror flick ('PDL' had a creepy atmosphere in certain scenes). He could probably pull off any genre without breaking a sweat. Okay, I'll stop kissin' his ass.....

A P.T.Anderson action picture.

I can dream for the meantime.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

chainsmoking insomniac

Knowing his love of musicals, I think it would be really great if he aimed for one of those next....with Julianne Moore as the leading lady and....well, who knows who the leading man would be...
I read some earlier posts about him writing and filming an action flick....That would be fucking great too....Later everyone
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

bonanzataz

Quote from: punchdrunk23Knowing his love of musicals, I think it would be really great if he aimed for one of those next....with Julianne Moore as the leading lady and....well, who knows who the leading man would be...
I read some earlier posts about him writing and filming an action flick....That would be fucking great too....Later everyone

Yes, but can Julianne sing?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Kev Hoffman

I have hope for anything that comes from him.  If I like it, I really don't care.

Victor

julianne. i want my julianne back. i dont give a long blue fuck about what it is, itll be good no matter what...i want my julianne back.

jcr, psh, pbh, don cheadle too.

the only thing i want it to be is soon. soon as possible.

and with the micheal penn rumor, i guess that means hes got an idea for the tone, which is a very good sign. i love the boogie score.
are you gonna eat with us too?

sphinx

i'd like to see pta tackle a football team

Fernando

Quote from: sphinxi'd like to see pta tackle a football team

This guy can pull anything he sets his mind for, I'm sure some people remember that in some interview he said that he wanted to make a 90 minutes romantic comedy or something like that, what really called my attention is that he claimed that he knew how to do that, what I'm trying to say here is, how he knew? Because he's a natural, in a way like Kubrick, a guy who learned by himself, never went to film school, and was born to do that; for me there's no question that whatever he does he'll do fine.

The only other young filmaker that (IMO) comes close to him is spanish director Alejandro Amenabar, that guy not only directs and writes also does the score of his films, he is a guy to look for.

As for PTA just hope he tackles every genre.

Ernie

I'd like to see anything but a sequel, a pre 1920's period piece, animation, or a documentary/mockumentary. Anything but those and I'm as happy and excited as can be. I guess it would be cool to see him do an animation somewhere along the line but not now. He's just so good with people, real people...I can't help but think that his visual style would be hurt by the animation. There are just so many possibilities, I'm not even ready to hear what he's going to do next.

I'll see it in theatres at least twice no matter what it turns out to be of course...even if its a fucking animated documentary on tom arnold...pta can do no wrong.

So I guess I don't really care what kind of movie he does at all then...as long as it comes out soon. I want John C. Reilly back though...and Thomas Jane in the lead role. Johnny Depp too... and Audrey Tautou and Zooey Deschanel!

Wait, maybe not...if he puts Audrey Tautou and Zooey Deschanel on screen at the same time in front of his fucking camera...I swear to god the camera will explode instantly. As soon as he says "action"...that camera will be completely gone.

sphinx

Quote from: Fernando

This guy can pull anything he sets his mind for,

i don't think you understood my joke

Fernando

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Fernando

This guy can pull anything he sets his mind for,

i don't think you understood my joke

LOL, Actually didn't, I put your quote by accident because you were the last poster on the tread.

snaporaz

something in black & white? hopefully not an ensemble movie again [not that it's a bad thing]. when will anderson finally make a stinker?

chainsmoking insomniac

Picking up on an earlier post, I think it would be tremendous if he did a full-fledged Musical.....with a great ensemble cast.....it would be one of the most talked-about movie events to ever hit screens in a long time....

Anyone care to speculate who he would use? John C. Reilly would have to be in it (and we know he can dance and sing a bit since he kicked ass in Chicago....)...but think about Julianne Moore and (lol) Phillip Baker Hall....god that would be so fucking great to watch....just to name a few. Everyone should drop their picks on the thread and see what we come up with!!!!!!!!!!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls